Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 2145872

View attachment 2145873

Written by Baz, a PR intern, or ChatGPT, who can say. Take out of it what we will.
A troubled young man trying to cash in and a make a shittonne playing football. It's sad he doesn't want to play for us anymore, but his reasons are kinda coherent.

I'm relieved this is the last time we'll have to dissect his Instagram posts, but let's live and let live.

A troubled young man trying to cash in and a make a shittonne playing football. It's sad he doesn't want to play for us anymore, but his reasons are kinda coherent.

I'm relieved this is the last time we'll have to dissect his Instagram posts, but let's live and let live.
It's coherent but incredibly self-centred. Speaking like the world revolves around you, completely oblivious to the fact that he's just a cog of a culture (the club, the sport, the league, the business empire of Cotton On etc.)

Notice how everything he says is about what the club could do for him and nothing about the joy or privilege of putting on the jumper or representing the western suburbs or at the very least being thankful of the fact that he could spend time laughing with his team-mates (or whatever).

Of course, on top of that, the self-centred belief that Smith has that just because he's out of contract he's entitled to get to where he wants, ambivalent to the fact that the Dogs were the ones that supported and invested in him, and would have also seen no issue with seeing him leave as a free agent is also there. Even if all of what he said is true, the humility to understand that in the context of the wider AFL ecosystem and list management rules, his club is just one of 18, and he's just one of 800 players.

Understand that this is completely armchair psychologist and I don't think it's necessarily making him a bad person or whatever but he really does come across as a narcissist.

Last edited:
Connors said this morning he was really proud that Houston didn’t nominate a club and allowed Port to get the best result they could with a trade. What is he saying about Smith?

Best result for Port was North’s offer and of course he wouldn’t go there, so that’s a crock, as usual, from Connors

We went into this trade period with some tidying up from last year’s trade period required.

In a deep draft we needed to get back into the 1st round and another under 30. We managed both.

Additionally we cleared cap space, that gives us significant financial flexibility moving forward, and seen off the threat of significant contracts (for non best 22) being carried in the next 2 to 3 years. Power did a remarkable job clearing these entirely.

Further we did not compromise future selections, giving us a clean slate for the next trade period, whilst also acquiring a very solid best 22 player in Kennedy.

Consolidating the last two trade periods, if Sanders becomes the player we hope him to be (and that won’t be known for a couple of seasons), then Power’s 2023-24 trade periods will be viewed very favorably.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Connors said this morning he was really proud that Houston didn’t nominate a club and allowed Port to get the best result they could with a trade. What is he saying about Smith?
If this was true, why didn't he go to norf?

We went into this trade period with some tidying up from last year’s trade period required.

In a deep draft we needed to get back into the 1st round and another under 30. We managed both.

Additionally we cleared cap space, that gives us significant financial flexibility moving forward, and seen off the threat of significant contracts (for non best 22) being carried in the next 2 to 3 years. Power did a remarkable job clearing these entirely.

Further we did not compromise future selections, giving us a clean slate for the next trade period, whilst also acquiring a very solid best 22 player in Kennedy.

Consolidating the last two trade periods, if Sanders becomes the player we hope him to be (and that won’t be known for a couple of seasons), then Power’s 2023-24 trade periods will be viewed very favorably.

I feel like i’m being gaslit with people saying Sam Power did a good job. Are people seriously happy with we here we’ve ended up or just taking the p155?

I feel like i’m being gaslit with people saying Sam Power did a good job. Are people seriously happy with we here we’ve ended up or just taking the p155?

It entirely depends where you see Macrae and Daniel in their careers.

If you are of the opinion that Macrae and Daniel are best 15 players and will be for the next 3 seasons then I can see why you would have issues. (But the coach clearly doesn’t share that view and you can’t lay blame at Power for that).

If you are like me and don’t believe either of them to be best 22 heading into 2025, then removing both contracts before they become real issues into 2026 and beyond, then Power has done a very good job in getting those contracts off the books and getting some solid draft capital as well. There’s been no more massive supporter of Macrae than me, but it was clear by season’s end he had lost more than a yard in pace and his kicking was not as penetrating.

Also add we resigned all key players coming out of contract with the exception of 1.

Get the draft right this year and the last 2 years, where we had to change, will be looked upon very favourably

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

A little off topic but the front loading of contacts has been mentioned a couple of times. I assume that if a club front loads a contact and the player leaves half way through the contract period the club has done its dough ( referring to the front loaded part only). Is that the risk a club takes and accepts?
Yes, think Freo fans think Lobb did this.
Yes it is the club that takes on the monetary risk, but it then gets factored into being able to demand overs in a trade, similar to how you get unders if the player has an excessively large or back-ended contract.

Gary Ablett was the other well known case of this happening. His 2016-18 contract with Gold Coast was reported to be $3 million over 3-years, but the final year was only $700k (probably split $1.3m / $1.0m / $700k). He represented such good value to Gold Coast at only $700k for the coming season that they were still able to demand a F2 and a pick upgrade (pick 24 to pick 19, F4 went back) for a 33-year old.

Did anyone watch the sports segment on Ch 7 six o”clock news tonight. Sorry I don’t know how to post the clip but it was basically an interview with Smith talking about why he chose Geelong. I can’t remember his answer verbatim but it was along the lines “ it wasn’t about the onfield stuff it was about the quality of the people within the four walls. ( not a direct quote but as best as I can remember it) . I think a few people at the Dogs would feel let down.

I believe there is a masters available in the dissection of Sniffa's Insta, along with the optional Raygunn elective. Search the Daylesford University of day spas for further details Rookie

Did anyone watch the sports segment on Ch 7 six o”clock news tonight. Sorry I don’t know how to post the clip but it was basically an interview with Smith talking about why he chose Geelong. I can’t remember his answer verbatim but it was along the lines “ it wasn’t about the onfield stuff it was about the quality of the people within the four walls. ( not a direct quote but as best as I can remember it) . I think a few people at the Dogs would feel let down.
So easy to read too much into these situations though. Of course the player has to speak glowingly about his new club, which can be taken as a dig at their old club and the media loves to report it that way.

then removing both contracts before they become real issues into 2026 and beyond, then Power has done a very good job in getting those contracts off the books

My point is being missed, who gave Macrae and Daniel these contracts that were about to become real issues in 2026?

Who got us in the position where we’ve had no leverage in the Dunkley and Smith trades?

It’s far too simplistic to look at trade week in isolation and say he made the best of a bad situation because he was integral in creating the situation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back