Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Down for some fun behind the scenes in the off season and isn’t woke.

5 year deal.
Would be shit for our culture. Especially after we got rid of guys like Hunter, Dahlhaus and Stringer: why would you want to bring in some more players that have similar off field issues.

Who got us in the position where we’ve had no leverage in the Dunkley and Smith trades?

Tell us what you expect Power or the club to do in a situation where Smith and his management are happy to let his contract expire and then initiate a trade to his club of choice.

Players can't be traded against their will so you'll need to spell out exactly what you expected to happen here.

Tell us what you expect Power or the club to do in a situation where Smith and his management are happy to let his contract expire and then initiate a trade to his club of choice.

Players can't be traded against their will so you'll need to spell out exactly what you expected to happen here.
Mate, everyone on this board has been trying to explain this to him for the past month. Its like talking to a brick wall at this point.

He just refuses to listen and still finds a way to blame the Club, Power and Bevo.

The players have the power. The trading and free agency system is broken.

My point is being missed, who gave Macrae and Daniel these contracts that were about to become real issues in 2026?

Who got us in the position where we’ve had no leverage in the Dunkley and Smith trades?

It’s far too simplistic to look at trade week in isolation and say he made the best of a bad situation because he was integral in creating the situation.
I don’t think you can blame Power for those contracts. Macrae & Daniel have been some of our best players for a long time and should be in theoretical primes. Not one single person here thought they were anything but good news at the time.

Since those contracts, there has been a clear change of direction by the coaching staff to play a faster brand of football which includes the personnel. Things have changed, sometimes it’s just the way it is and it’s no one’s fault.

Agreed. I hope I'm wrong but it feels like he's too far into his career to suddenly have a substantive increase in his aggression/physicality in the ruck contests. His best footy was played as a 3rd KPF/2nd ruck and Darcy will be locked into that role for a while now you'd think.

Not to turn this into an anti-English thread, but for all the teeth-gnashing over the past couple of trade and draft periods maybe the worst decision we made was not to move English on to the west (if there was an opportunity to do that) instead of paying him presumably fairly well even though he can't be relied on in big games. My guess is I'm not the only one looking at how Sweet performed towards the end of the season with some regret, even though he obviously isn't an elite ruck.
I think a large reason that English went backwards in competitiveness last season was due to Sweet going. He went from training against a man mountain from beginning of Nov to training against 18year old Lachlan Smith. Club needs to look at getting in a mature age ruckman as a rookie.

English will never be a competitive beast but he was much more competitive in 2023 than this year

Mate, everyone on this board has been trying to explain this to him for the past month. Its like talking to a brick wall at this point.

He just refuses to listen and still finds a way to blame the Club, Power and Bevo.

The players have the power. The trading and free agency system is broken.

I can't wait until we try to bring Butters over next year from Port Adelaide. I can see the conversations now:

"Look, the Power are screwed because players have the power and both the Power and Power know this."

Did anyone watch the sports segment on Ch 7 six o”clock news tonight. Sorry I don’t know how to post the clip but it was basically an interview with Smith talking about why he chose Geelong. I can’t remember his answer verbatim but it was along the lines “ it wasn’t about the onfield stuff it was about the quality of the people within the four walls. ( not a direct quote but as best as I can remember it) . I think a few people at the Dogs would feel let down.

Wouldn't worry about it. We know that he only ever has one thought and one care and that's about himself.

'I no longer listen to what people say, I just watch what they do. Behaviour never lies.' Churchill.

The mealymouthed words in the past 24 hours mean zip, the actions over the past, behaviour over the past six months means everything.

My point is being missed, who gave Macrae and Daniel these contracts that were about to become real issues in 2026?

It’s far too simplistic to look at trade week in isolation and say he made the best of a bad situation because he was integral in creating the situation.
We had no power in the Smith negotiations because he was uncontacted.

Teams are handing out longer contracts now precisely because players under contract requesting a trade has become the new norm. It helps their trade leverage.

In a way, having those two under contract helped us at trade time.

QDid anyone watch the sports segment on Ch 7 six o”clock news tonight. Sorry I don’t know how to post the clip but it was basically an interview with Smith talking about why he chose Geelong. I can’t remember his answer verbatim but it was along the lines “ it wasn’t about the onfield stuff it was about the quality of the people within the four walls. ( not a direct quote but as best as I can remember it) . I think a few people at the Dogs would feel let down.
Wasn't he one if the 'quality of people' at the club given the reason Dunkley left? 🤔

We had no leverage in the Smith trade because he was uncontracted. On the flipside, we did have leverage in the Daniel trade because of that contract you're complaining about.

If Smith had a contract, we'd have received more than pick 17 + pick swap. If Daniel didn't have a contract, we'd have received less than pick 25.

The Macrae contract was probably a little different because it was worse (and signed off the back of 3 AA seasons).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

surely the afl are worried about the power that conners has had? seems like he’s the most important person in the afl.
Young does the same thing to Freo

Gets players in on front loaded deals then demands trades once the lower paid back end begins

There needs to be a change in the power balance, something as simple as contracted players can only nominate a state would create a much better trade market all round

Genuinely, if he does get delisted (Wacky Wednesday saga or not) Josh Fahey would be the perfect DFA pick up for us. It’s an area of the ground we are thin in.
It would be much easier to swallow if guys like Cleary & Baker weren't contracted and taking up list spots when both clearly don't have a future with us at AFL level.

Wouldn't worry about it. We know that he only ever has one thought and one care and that's about himself.

'I no longer listen to what people say, I just watch what they do. Behaviour never lies.' Churchill.

The mealymouthed words in the past 24 hours mean zip, the actions over the past, behaviour over the past six months means everything.
You can expect that Barrett and Cornes will be falling over themselves to interview him and smear the Bulldogs, just ignore it, they are not journalists they are germs. Watching trade radio’s last half hour was tellingly, there’s Mackie at one stage biting his nails, another arms crossed being told off by Connors, buckling and offering a pick swap which got us Kennedy. But those two germs just jeered at the Bulldogs saying we agreed to the original offer.

Power is highly respected and gets the job done, whereas Mackie is another Dodo in the making.

As for Smith, I lost all sympathy for him when he sat with Cats players and Cotton on at the Geelong final, despite Connors reputedly telling him not to, it’s a selfish, over-entitled, disloyal thing to do, and tells you all you need to know about Smith, I don’t think I have ever seen another player do that.

I don’t think the decent Geelong supporters would be too thrilled at getting him, instead of taking those picks to a very good draft, the ones that lurk on here are not real football lovers just losers in their life who make up for it by taking enjoyment out of Geelong poaching players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back