Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't wait until we try to bring Butters over next year from Port Adelaide. I can see the conversations now:

"Look, the Power are screwed because players have the power and both the Power and Power know this."
If we want use the free agency out of contract power we have to wait till 2026,if we go next year we probably have to pay up a lot.

Turning Macrae into Kennedy at a lower salary is a win.

Getting 25 for Daniel is a big win.

Keeping in mind both these guys were on big $ and may not even have been selected next year (list balance/needs not talent).

Smith we were hamstrung. But at least managed a pick upgrade with 17.

Overall I'm happy with what we achieved in trade week.

Turning Macrae into Kennedy at a lower salary is a win.

Getting 25 for Daniel is a big win.

Keeping in mind both these guys were on big $ and may not even have been selected next year (list balance/needs not talent).

Smith we were hamstrung. But at least managed a pick upgrade with 17.

Overall I'm happy with what we achieved in trade week.
I really think not having Daniel or Macrae as a will they/won't they be sub query every week will really help settle the team and the noise around selection.

Young does the same thing to Freo

Gets players in on front loaded deals then demands trades once the lower paid back end begins

There needs to be a change in the power balance, something as simple as contracted players can only nominate a state would create a much better trade market all round
Definitely needs to be a slight power shift, will be a hard sell to the PA and player managers.

Think the change that makes the most sense would be contracted players who request a trade can be traded anywhere, uncontracted can nominate a club. Hold the player a little more accountable to their contract, may also slow down the demand of these massive 8-10 year contracts being demanded.

Personality aside, losing a pick 7 after a few years when you don’t want to and only getting pick 27 is a fair kick in the guts.

I hope we implement strategies to avoid this type of issue in the future.

Either scrutinise the draftee in more detail or get better at timing contract negotiations. Preferably both.

Personality aside, losing a pick 7 after a few years when you don’t want to and only getting pick 27 is a fair kick in the guts.

Either scrutinise the draftee in more detail or get better at timing contract negotiations. Preferably both.
There wasn't much we could do,

He was fine early days and you can't trade players against their will

Looks as though the ACL injury plus his existing mental health issues really did a number on him.

Maybe needed to get out of Melbourne but still be within driving distance to family and friends.

It makes sense, unfortunately. Life is pretty good out Barwon Heads/Torquay way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of whether they were good or bad trades surely has to do whether we do something relevant and good with the salary cap room over the next few years.

Power and co would have a good idea of landing a player due to ongoing discussions with player managers, the upcoming FA pool and players who are rumoured to want out.

We have to trust that part of the decision to move on these players is because of reasonable confident is landing such a big money player next year or the year after.

Because if we don't or if that confidence is misplaced, I'm actually inclined to agree a bit more with the sceptics here: why move on club champions as a team under no real salary cap threat if the only real benefit is some vague sense of "salary cap room" that doesn't actually take the next step to improving the team.

It's Schrodinger's trade period - it is neither good or bad until we try to measure it against the future moves we make with the salary cap.

More on Column A. The ability to see through fakes. To see through narcissistic personalities to see through bad influences.

Glad we've finally lanced the boil.

Looks as though the ACL injury plus his existing mental health issues really did a number on him.

Maybe needed to get out of Melbourne but still be within driving distance to family and friends.

It makes sense, unfortunately. Life is pretty good out Barwon Heads/Torquay way.

Nah, I'm not falling for the 'lifestyle' PR spin. The way he treated the club on the way out is what'll stick with me and that's got nothing to do with the 'coastal lifestyle/fresh start' crap.

Footballers can afford to live and travel anywhere they like. He could've lived in Torquay and travelled to Footscray. There are plenty of us who travel an hour to get to work every day who live a hell of a lot closer to Melbourne. It's a cop out. It doesn't take Einstein to realise the factors behind the move and no doubt it was in the works for years.

I really think not having Daniel or Macrae as a will they/won't they be sub query every week will really help settle the team and the noise around selection.
Riley Garcia has entered the chat

He knew he was gone pre-ACL, could have demanded a trade last trade period but he didn't want the team trading for him to give up anything more than the bare minimum.

A lot of whether they were good or bad trades surely has to do whether we do something relevant and good with the salary cap room over the next few years.

Power and co would have a good idea of landing a player due to ongoing discussions with player managers, the upcoming FA pool and players who are rumoured to want out.

We have to trust that part of the decision to move on these players is because of reasonable confident is landing such a big money player next year or the year after.

Because if we don't or if that confidence is misplaced, I'm actually inclined to agree a bit more with the sceptics here: why move on club champions as a team under no real salary cap threat if the only real benefit is some vague sense of "salary cap room" that doesn't actually take the next step to improving the team.

It's Schrodinger's trade period - it is neither good or bad until we try to measure it against the future moves we make with the salary cap.
Agreed, a full evaluation of the moves won't be possible for a year or two.

Is it? It’s not amazing, but it’s unlikely to be the determining factor in whether we win a flag or not.

The young guns developing as we hope they will, Bont staying at his high level, Treloar and Libba wringing out 1-2 more seasons at a high level, and the coaching panel and match committee improving their performance (and maintaining some consistency of performance) is what will potentially take us there.

Hitting with our first three picks in this draft - ideally at small forward/wing/midfield depth - will help as well, obviously.

Don’t get me wrong, I hope the cats stink and Bailey’s kicking has got even worse (if that’s possible), but I can’t really lay the blame at Power’s door for that either. He played an atrocious hand probably as well as he could.
Yeah I was more speaking purely about the return we got for the quality we lost.

I don't deny we were shoehorned into a bad situation, and maybe there simply was no other option, but on the face of the outs vs the ins on this trade period alone, it's pretty poor. There are a lot on here living in denial.

Yeah I was more speaking purely about the return we got for the quality we lost.

I don't deny we were shoehorned into a bad situation, and maybe there simply was no other option, but on the face of the outs vs the ins on this trade period alone, it's pretty poor. There are a lot on here living in denial.

You realise we still have a draft to do, right?

You realise we now have 17 and 25 which we didn't have last week, right?

We have Kennedy who we also didn't have last week, right?

What do you want? You wanted us to keep Daniel and Macrae and get nothing for them next year after another year of them as subs or in the VFL?

Stop looking at it as one player in three players out. That's not how it's done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back