Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Presumably we tried to find him a new club in trade week but without takers. Would have thought he’d be a chance to be attached to Daniel much like Kostanty was with Luke Parker.

Not against us letting Clarke go, but I really hope we don’t keep keath.

I still would like to see us chuck Curtis Taylor a lifeline.

Not against us letting Clarke go, but I really hope we don’t keep keath.

I still would like to see us chuck Curtis Taylor a lifeline.

From what I heard from a LOLNorf insider, Taylor needs a major attitude reset before any AFL club would / should take him.

We've had more misses than hits in the 20s over the past decade or so. Hrovat, Webb, Collins, Clarke. It's our top 20 picks and those in the 40s which have had the most success.
Webb was injuries though. Had potential at the level.

Alex Witherden for anyone? Seemed ok at Brisbane but there’s obviously deficiencies as he’s a two club goner. Anyone know what they are? Rookie list prospect at all? Still only 25 and has racked up possessions over the years but I vaguely feel he may be a defensive liability?

Weird draft that 2022, still early days but no one taken after Clarke really stands out.
The five players taken immediately after Clarke in the same draft have yet to play a game at AFL level in their two seasons. The back end of that draft even two years on looks pretty weak. We picked the eyes out of the Gallagher selection, especially as we clearly made a conscious decision to pick an overager, avoiding what we (correctly) perceived to be a weak grouping of underage talent. Picked the eyes out of a weak group with that selection.

Alex Witherden for anyone? Seemed ok at Brisbane but there’s obviously deficiencies as he’s a two club goner. Anyone know what they are? Rookie list prospect at all? Still only 25 and has racked up possessions over the years but I vaguely feel he may be a defensive liability?
A bit like Bonner delisted from two clubs in that they're one dimensional players with elements of elite kicking and not much else. Lack toughness and inside work to be played anywhere but defense, not really a natural defender or natural athlete, can get exposed. Witherden knew how to read the play and positioning and can link up play but would ball hunt a bit and sometimes take the too slow too safe option, Bonner can pierce the field with his kicking and has a bit of pace, but would also make boneheaded decisions by foot and think he could break the game open when an inch perfect kick wouldn't come off it would turnover and rebound.

Teams lacking proper ball use out of the back half often kid themselves into thinking that they can hide the weaknesses and use the strengths, but they can't.

We're thankful that we have Dale to be our primary ball user from out back so we don't really have to worry about the Witherdens and Bonners of the world.

That hurts. A pick in the 20s too.
As others have said there doesn't appear to have been much between Charlie Clarke at pick 24 and our next swing in the 2022 draft, Harvey Gallagher at pick 39. I guess that proves that some drafts do NOT run deep. Unlike what they are saying about the 2024 draft.

On games played the best three so far are Lachie Cowan, Harvey Gallagher and Toby McMullin (who copped a two match ban for post season high jinks this week). None of the others have played more than 3 games in two seasons. That doesn't mean they are all flops (as we hope to prove with Busslinger) but it's not a rich vein of talent by the look of it.

24. Charlie Clarke (WB) - 1 game DELISTED
25. Lewis Hayes (Ess) - 0 games so far (but he's a tall, so maybe will come good?)
26. Brayden George (NM) - 0 games
27. Cooper Vickery (Syd) - 0 games DELISTED
28. Jakob Ryan (Coll) - 1 game
29. Coby Burgiel (WCE) - 0 games DELISTED
30. Lachie Cowan (Carl) - 24 games (7+17)
31. James Van Es (St K) - 0 games DELISTED
32. Jaxon Binns (Carl) - 3 games
33. Hugh Davies (Frem) - 2 games (another tall)
34. Toby McMullin (GWS) - 17 games (3+14)
35. Olli Hotton (StK) - 0 games
36. Tom McCallum (Port) - 0 games DELISTED
37. Henry Hustwaite (Haw) - 6 games (2+4, another tall)
38. Jed Adams (Melb) - 0 games (another tall, contract extended)
39. Harvey Gallagher (WB) - 20 games

Not for me

A very poor defender and makes too many mistakes as the designated kicker off half back. Don’t think he is damaging enough with it on his good days either

A little surprised he got delisted as West Coast don’t seem to have a lot of guys who are comfortable with the ball in their hands but really he wasn’t taking them forward and probably makes sense to just move him on

Was more surprised that Culley got delisted. Has had a rough run of injuries since being drafted, thought they might give him a chance to see what he offers when his body is right

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess that proves that some drafts do NOT run deep. Unlike what they are saying about the 2024 draft.
It's interesting though, that though AFL talent is ultimately zero sum (relative to an average draft, there for every deep draft there has to be a shallow draft), you never hear media observation or discussion about a given draft being weak, nor do you hear discussions about "trading out of the draft picks" in the same way that you hear "trading for a draft pick".

Obviously, there are only 23*18 players selected every week, and for every game selected to players drafted in 2021 or 2023 is a game that a player from 2022 not selected, yet the media often carry on like this isn't the case!

There's lots of psychological reasons at play for this, too, but I thought it worth noting.

Not for me

A very poor defender and makes too many mistakes as the designated kicker off half back. Don’t think he is damaging enough with it on his good days either

A little surprised he got delisted as West Coast don’t seem to have a lot of guys who are comfortable with the ball in their hands but really he wasn’t taking them forward and probably makes sense to just move him on

Was more surprised that Culley got delisted. Has had a rough run of injuries since being drafted, thought they might give him a chance to see what he offers when his body is right
Culley's just one of those players that needs to be quicker and stronger to make it to that level, but whose body keeps breaking down whenever they try to stretch his body to the limits than an AFL player needs to be stretched to in order to make it all work. He was tough, skilled and had enough size, just needed to be quicker and stronger. West Coast obviously saw enough in his body's capacity to stick up to the rigours to think it wouldn't work, even though I don't think it was a bad pick 1 in the mid-season draft by any stretch.

The softest footballer in the AFL. Can’t get a kick if he isn’t taking kick outs.

Macca lived in Kew and travelled across the bridge to get to work. Same with Treloar.

Daniher literally lived in another state and managed it fine.

Not buying the PR spin from Smith.
Glad he is gone
Doesn't take his rubbish.when seeing movies at Lido

Poor standards /s

No way. Not tough enough.

Glad he is gone
Doesn't take his rubbish.when seeing movies at Lido

Poor standards /s

You can tell a lot about people by the way they treat waiters, bar staff, retail staff, cleaners, etc.
Also the glow from his screen while he’s posting during the movie would be annoying too 🤪

You can expect that Barrett and Cornes will be falling over themselves to interview him and smear the Bulldogs, just ignore it, they are not journalists they are germs. Watching trade radio’s last half hour was tellingly, there’s Mackie at one stage biting his nails, another arms crossed being told off by Connors, buckling and offering a pick swap which got us Kennedy. But those two germs just jeered at the Bulldogs saying we agreed to the original offer.

Power is highly respected and gets the job done, whereas Mackie is another Dodo in the making.

As for Smith, I lost all sympathy for him when he sat with Cats players and Cotton on at the Geelong final, despite Connors reputedly telling him not to, it’s a selfish, over-entitled, disloyal thing to do, and tells you all you need to know about Smith, I don’t think I have ever seen another player do that.

I don’t think the decent Geelong supporters would be too thrilled at getting him, instead of taking those picks to a very good draft, the ones that lurk on here are not real football lovers just losers in their life who make up for it by taking enjoyment out of Geelong poaching players.
The rumour, and I stress rumour, that he has been given the 3 jumper and was already signing them for people while still contracted to us was the absolute final straw for me….the first straw was watching him get the ball and hearing myself say here comes another turnover an$ being 100% right too often….i honestly don’t think we will miss him

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back