Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

What a terrible draft selection Clarke was, took him with about the same pick we’ll end up with for Smith😬

The 5 players selected after Clarke:

Lewis Hayes
Brayden George
Cooper Vickery
Jakob Ryan
Coby Burgiel

That 2022 draft dropped off a cliff after Pick 22, our draft team did well to get Gallagher at 40.

What a terrible draft selection Clarke was, took him with about the same pick we’ll end up with for Smith😬

There's only a handful of players selected after Clarke who have played more than a couple games. That whole 2022 draft after the first round looks an all-time bad draft.

You've got Lachie Cowan, Toby McMullin, Harvey Gallagher, Tom Emmett, Billy Dowling, Joe Richards and Alwyn Davey who've played more than ten games.

We all love an underdog story and would like all players to go on to have solid careers. But with some it's quite obvious that they aren't going to make it early in their careers. For me this was Clarke who just didnt seem to have a defining trait that made him stand out in a team crying out for a genuine small forward. He had the misfortune of having one of the least auspicious debuts that one could imagine. It may not be fair, but that one game all but sealed his fate.

We've got more than enough defensive depth without Keath. Alternatively, we could pick up Ethan Phillips as a DFA if they want to keep the same balance on the list.

Would prefer to go to the VFL and find someone with some run and dash, or a small defender. Ben Paton could fill that Duryea gap.

A real shame about Clarke. We needed to take a small forward at that pick, but it didn't work out. Konstanty is just outperforming him (in terms of tackles and goals) in the VFL and just clung onto a list spot. I'm sure we'll be taking some HFF/small forward options. Eth-dog's phantom has us taking both Berry and Hannaford IIRC, wouldn't that be nice.

Last edited:
I'd rookie Keath and trial him elsewhere. Has all the traits to adapt to the wing, or even small forward. What he doesn't have in repeat sprint ability he makes up for with his ability to sneak forward and pinch a goal! Go Chief!

It just says to you that we would rather take pick 50 odd in this draft (which bats deep) then continue putting more development time into Clarke. As everyone is saying here that was a woeful draft and by most reports this one is a much deeper draft.

On field talent was only partially the reason he was delisted. I wish him the best as he seemed like an enthusiastic young man but his off field circles were much the same as Stringer’s if you’re reading between the lines.
This is correct. Another higher profile Bulldog is heading down the same path.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 5 players selected after Clarke:

Lewis Hayes
Brayden George
Cooper Vickery
Jakob Ryan
Coby Burgiel

That 2022 draft dropped off a cliff after Pick 22, our draft team did well to get Gallagher at 40.
I believe we looked at Seth Campbell that year, who ended up going in the rookie draft at the selection after ours (we passed). He played almost the whole 2024 and got a two year extension.

I believe we looked at Seth Campbell that year, who ended up going in the rookie draft at the selection after ours (we passed). He played almost the whole 2024 and got a two year extension.
Of which the list spot carried over got us Poulter, who also remains on a list in contrast to the other players delisted.

Getting Poulter and Gallagher as opposed to any given U/18 player (that has proven to be not that good as a collective) can be considered good talent identification.

If we delist Keath we will have to promote a rookie or sign a delisted free agent
Not necessarily, we could just take another live pick at the end of the draft if we're so inclined (a fifth-round pick or whatever it amounts to).

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back