Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

I wasn't aware of that. I don't mind him. He has deficiencies he needs to work on, but I think he's growing.

On SM-G990E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah from what I've heard there's been no knocks on any of his off field stuff since he's been with us, may have been the kick up the bum he needed

Hopefully it's the same for Clarke too

If u guys get Butters to agree to request a trade to the Dogs, you guys do realise how much it will cost you.

How many future firsts do u guys have?
Do you realise the value he could bring ? Sometimes you just pay the price e.g. Horne Frsncis
Can jog on now mate no one is under any illusion he would be cheap

We got Harvey Gallagher in the same draft with a pick in the 40s.
The draft was a dud, Gags isn't.
I'm not quite there yet with Gags. Showed flashes this year and has good attributes, but needs to find a way to get more involved in the game. Good signs, but not a sure thing yet imo.

If past performance is indeed the most effective indicator of future performance and the more recent its, the more predictive, than surely Daniel's actual 2024 season is the most relevant predictor here?

Daniel played two good games in the final two rounds of the H&A season but other than that it was a generally poor season including being ineffectual often when coming on as the sub, and he himself playing poorly which was a factor in costing us the win vs Geelong in the gather round game.

All of this without outstanding VFL forn this year when he played there - even Oskar Baker was the better VFL player in games they played together.

I agree Daniel is a champion of our club and has reinvented himself before and could do so again. It is through that possibility we got pick 25, a meaningful pick with a reasonable chance of a good player (unlike e.g. the 38 we gave up for Kennedy, which is a pick that significantly drops off). But it's strange not to treat his 2024 season for what it was - even worse than Macrae`s?
Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future performance.

Gallagher was a turnover machine from limited touches. Don’t think he was played in the right position either. The more space he had in front of him the more inclined he was to make the wrong decision. Never quite seemed to call for the ball in the right spots in transition either.

I wouldn’t mind seeing him in that VDM role. Fast and aggressive but unlike vdm actually has a willingness/ability to hit the scoreboard and get involved as a forward. He’d be a somewhat credible threat around goal compared to a complete non factor. Much higher ceiling.

His midfield minutes were a bit of a disaster but I’d revisit that once he settles to the speed of the game, which seems to be the main issue and hopefully resolves in time.

Can see why we like him and at vfl level you can see where he’s more comfortable and what he projects to be as a player. But we tried to force the issue last season when maybe we should have played him less, as the sub or more forward…the way we used him didn’t achieve much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn’t realise what a weak draft 2022 was, puts Clarke into perspective a bit. In hindsight Joe Richards was probably the choice at the Clarke pick but would have been a huge reach at the time

I'm not quite there yet with Gags. Showed flashes this year and has good attributes, but needs to find a way to get more involved in the game. Good signs, but not a sure thing yet imo.

He wasn’t really on the draft radar until he was moved to half back for the Pioneers half way through his draft year and started racking up 30-40 disposals games. I watched him on the last Champs game that year have a great game at half back and came away hoping we’d pick him up as a defender. I think at the moment he’s a bit like Richards when we were playing him at half forward. He’s not a low volume player by nature.

He wasn’t really on the draft radar until he was moved to half back for the Pioneers half way through his draft year and started racking up 30-40 disposals games. I watched him on the last Champs game that year have a great game at half back and came away hoping we’d pick him up as a defender. I think at the moment he’s a bit like Richards when we were playing him at half forward. He’s not a low volume player by nature.
I think he's just too short in modern AFL footy to play out of defence

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back