ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
For anyone interested, tomorrow is the start of the two week delist/trade/poach/re-sign period in the AFLW. By the end of the two weeks, clubs have to trim their lists back from 31 >>> 22 + 1 rookie.
They can also sign players who they’re keeping to one or two year contracts. Kiara Bowers has already committed for two years, and Ebony Antonio and Kara Donnellan are expected to follow suit.
Just as examples, in the past couple of years Freo have traded for Kellie Gibson from Adelaide and Steph Cain from Carlton.
Delisted players from other clubs can be picked up as free agents (I think this is after the two week trade period).
Freo are under added pressure to sign the players they want to keep as the dirty birds up the road can poach eight of our players (they also have a higher salary cap). Apparently they’re going hard for Dana Hooker, which personally would make me spew if they were able to lure her across.
Adam Selwood is the head of the Women’s program over there, and he had said their intention is to steal the full contingency of eight players from us.
I wish he (and the rest of them) would just GAGF.

Last edited:

Miller and Hooker have explored their options just a year ago, I expect we will lose at least one of them.
They are the two I’m most concerned about.
heard ash atkins on the way to the dark side
Bound to be a few of that middle tier. I’m just hoping the “Big 9” all stay put.
Donnellan ✔️
Antonio ✔️
Bowers ✔️
Hooker ❓
Houghton ❓
Miller ❓
Gibson ❓
Sharpe ❓
Cain ❓
Bound to lose one or two from that lot. Please please please please not Hooker.

Bugger

Adelaide keeping Randall is crap too, means WC have more means to raid us, no-one will beat Adelaide either. Wish Port got their shit together.
Randall staying could also work in our favour. North poached a lot of talent because everyone said yes. If WC aren't going to create a competitive list would you really want to be one of their 1-2 good players? Frederick-Traub is going to Richmond by the looks. Not sure King will leave NM after just arriving. Bowers, Donnellan, Antonio are all staying at Freo. I'm expecting Houghton and Gibson are staying as well. As too should the forgotten Green - who Freo have supported through injury. Hooker works for Freo now so it will be tough for her to leave. Miller just got a 5k award ;)

Been in touch with someone very close to Parris Laurie. She’s deep in discussion with both clubs but is yet to make a decision. Grew up a Freo supporter, but spent 2 years in the WC women’s development squad. Hadn’t expected to get drafted last year, so had expected to be playing for WC in 2020. Close ties to both clubs, and very torn which way to go.

North/Tassie have delisted Mo Hope. Jamie Stanton and Alison Drennan have informed them they’re taking up offers with expansion clubs. (Looks like Stanton >> GC, and Drennam >> StK).

Richmond is the front-runner for Sabrina Traub, and Katie Brennan is also considering a move to the Tigers.

WC’s attempts to lure Chelsea Randall (re-signed with Adelaide), Frederick-Traub (going to Melb), and Ash Brazill (most likely to stay with Collingwood) all failed... will make their efforts to raid our playing stocks all the more aggressive you’d think.

I don't get it. She was arguably the highest profile player in the inaugural season, and now she's delisted without any fanfare/coverage? What happened? The only article I can find is about Brennan leaving the dogs. Surely this is newsworthy?
She had more impact on the breakfast cereal market than on the field for the reputation she rode in on.

It was unfortunate for her but I'm glad she got to make a packet from it while she could.

They are the two I’m most concerned about.

Bound to be a few of that middle tier. I’m just hoping the “Big 9” all stay put.
Donnellan ✔️
Antonio ✔️
Bowers ✔️
Hooker ❓
Houghton ❓
Miller ❓
Gibson ❓
Sharpe ❓
Cain ❓
Bound to lose one or two from that lot. Please please please please not Hooker.

If Miller leaves I'll cry and will struggle to watch Freo next season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Miller leaves I'll cry and will struggle to watch Freo next season
If Hooker leaves I’ll cry. Heartbreak along the lines that Bulldogs fans must be feeling right now re Katie Brennan. Seriously cannot say it in strong enough words. I just LOVE Dana Hooker.
Gemma Houghton a very close second. It would be tear-inducing if she left too. 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼

i've seen Miller at freo games a few times, not in merch or anything as if she's there representing the club just there with mates!
i'd be cut up if we lost her, Cain or Gibson, huge fan of them!
anyone heard anything about Gibson?

Gibson is a staunch WC fan. She's mentioned it to me a while ago

Mo Hope had articles about a week ago when it was announced, surely she gets a gig with another club tho, she still kicked 7 goals this season, she is always worn like a glove by opponents due to her star status.

She is good enough to play AFLW so she will play somewhere IMO

Mo Hope had articles about a week ago when it was announced, surely she gets a gig with another club tho, she still kicked 7 goals this season, she is always worn like a glove by opponents due to her star status.

She is good enough to play AFLW so she will play somewhere IMO
Two club delisting, their must be something about her that is quite right.

i think i remember seeing that actually, did you move her or something?

positive signs:
- would be her third club...
- shes best mates and lives with Ange Stannett who posted that she was stoked about trent cooper signing on

negative signs:
- west coast supporter

Yes I did but she also said that she will support Freo now that she is playing for them.

It's a wonder what loyalty players have for a club when they are surrounded by people they like.

I tweeted Gibson and asked her straight out if she’s staying. Told her she was a fan favourite and an integral part of the team, and purple suits her better than bluenyella would. She liked the tweet - could’ve ignored it, but at least acknowledged it. I took the like as a positive sign. 😉

And Miller’s been a part of it all since the beginning. Is she still ‘hard core’ weagles? The little purple ribbon she wears in her hair is a nice little touch that she’s pretty tight with Freo now.

Mo Hope played for St Kilda in the VFL didn't she? I wonder if a reason she's not being offered another contract by North is because she will sign with St Kilda.

Mo Hope played for St Kilda in the VFL didn't she? I wonder if a reason she's not being offered another contract by North is because she will sign with St Kilda.
That’s possible, but there are two other North players who are leaving to go to expansion clubs (one to StK for the reason you mentioned, one to GC because that’s where she’s from), but when they announced that they just said Mo Hope wouldnt be offered a new contract and would be delisted. Even before that - like last week - they said Hope would be delisted, but she was hopeful (no pun) to be picked up by someone else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back