List Mgmt. Trade/Draft/Targets Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

I was most looking forward to Miller’s development coming into this season - more so than any other 2017 draftee. I thought his debut season was similar to Grimesy’s early years where he wouldn’t mark or get a ton of possessions, but got in his fist to everything (remember one at a Dreamtime game where he came from nowhere at a crucial moment and spoilt the ball and in doing so did his hammy). All in all, potential to be a negating KPD at the least.

Alas, Miller didn’t take the steps I would have hoped for. That said, no player tracks on an upward trajectory all the time, and injuries throughout the year no doubt didn’t help. The fact that we have Garth, Balta (on occasion) and Beasley (whom I wouldn’t mind seeing picked up in the rookie list) all as tall defenders may have also made it difficult. There isn’t a lot of VFL teams that have two legit quality KPFs, let alone three or four. This likely flowed to playing both forward and back throughout the season; often changing ends mid-game. For some this discontinuity of role is extremely detrimental for development early on.

For mine, Miller has a lot to work on but a lot to work with. I’m happy to see him continue to get an opportunity, albeit that may be subject to change as the final list lodgement dates arrive.

Some good points made above from all. Some people see Balta as a KF, some as a dynamic big wingman and some as a KD. I stand in the KD line. Reckon hes looked his best at VFL level in the backline and really seemed to add a dimension to his game towards the end of the season (intercepting). If he could go on to become a quality KD it would alleviate so many headaches in the future but he still has a lot of work to do when it comes to 1 v 1 defending. Im a fan of Garthwaite, a tad undersized for true KD but in his short career to date has shown he can bat above his average when it comes to manning big KF's, looks like hes going to be a hybrid tall/medium like Broad and Grimes. The kid coming out of our academy is a KPD and is rated pretty highly so its good to know he'll be joining the ranks in a year. Based on that I think our stocks are ok but we'd want to know a lot more about Balta and Garth this time next season.

Up fwd I really like CCJ, that kid has got one of the best pair of hands Ive seen in a long time. He clunks big marks week in week out and looks very comfortable playing as a KF. Needs to work on his set shot kicking and ruckwork, although that will come as he gets stronger through the core. Hoping Chol goes on with it and keeps developing after a positve season. Expecting both Chol and CCJ to push hard to play 10-12 games each next year - will be disappointed(in them) if they dont.

Ruck we are stacked.

Depending on CCJ we may need to look at bringing in another KF from outside ala Lynch when Jack slows down
I’m expecting CCJ to be that sec tall , perhaps get Petracca as a fa next year and finally realise his untapped talent as a dusty or jack apprentice

That's actually quite surprising, I always thought of Tigers as having a fair few trade-ins, but I guess it's because they are among your best players (Prestia, Lynch and Houli I rate as top 5 at your club in terms of importance right now). Do you have a source for those numbers? Would be interesting seeing how many trade-ins other clubs have. I believe the Dogs have 6 (Suckling, Trengove, Schache, Lloyd, Duryea, Crozier), unless you count the mid season draftee Gardner who was delisted by Geelong a few years back but remains uncontracted for next year.

For reference, Hawthorn have 13
  • Shaun Burgoyne (Port)
  • James Frawley (Melb)
  • Jack Gunston (Ade)
  • Sam Frost (Melb)
  • Ricky Henderson (Ade)
  • Jarman Impey (Port)
  • Ben McEvoy (StK)
  • Jaeger O'Meara (GC)
  • Tom Mitchell (Syd)
  • Jon Patton (GWS)
  • Jack Scrimshaw (GC)
  • Tom Scully (Melb/GWS)
  • Chad Wingard (Port)
I'd consider probably 10 or 11 of those guys as best 22, so they've basically built their side through trading rather than drafting. Interesting the approaches different teams tend to take. Dogs
seem to draft the core of our side, then target cheaper role players to fill holes.

Pies up there. Sold the farm to bring in guys like:

1.Trelor
2.Greenwood
3.Varcoe
4.Howe
5.Adams
6.Mayne
7.Hoskin Elliott
Aish
Wells
Dunn
Murray
Beams*
Lynch lol

14 Houli, Bachar 207 31yr 5mth
10 Edwards, Shane 255 30yr 11mth
8 Riewoldt, Jack 262 30yr 11mth
18 Rance, Alex 200 30yr
9 Cotchin, Trent 234 29yr 6mth
12 Astbury, David 129 28yr 7mth
4 Martin, Dustin 224 28yr 3mth
2 Grimes, Dylan 151 28yr 3mth
23 Lapmbert, Kane 95 27yr 10mth
50 Pickett, Marlion R 1 27yr 9mth
we got maybe 2 or 3 years left at the top of the tree to win premierships then our stars will start to drop off. Those coming behind are a finals team, but lack the star power to be a premiership team unless the club finds a way to add that star power. :oops:

we got maybe 2 or 3 years left at the top of the tree to win premierships then our stars will start to drop off. Those coming behind are a finals team, but lack the star power to be a premiership team unless the club finds a way to add that star power. :oops:
We have a few guys that look promising and COULD be genuine stars in Stack, Balta and CCJ also Bolton could become one in due time

Who knows who else might pop up once they get an opportunity

but in saying that it’s not something that you can really draft for it’s generally something that just evolves naturally and it can come from anywhere in the draft some guys meet that early potential, some don’t and a very small amount Elevate themselves to become top tier players

just got to back the recruting team in to keep the list healthy, well rounded and hope we get a little bit of luck along the way

Being a key forward in the AFL isn’t easy. I have been a big advocate of trying failed forwards in defence. C Tarrant and Liam Jones were two of many that I thought deserved a chance at it and they excelled.

If attitude isn’t a problem, forwards shouldn’t be given up on on without trying them down back.
I could see him as a better option than Broad for instance....reckon he would be a great intercept mark, plus his speed would be a weapon, either spoiling or getting to contests and having that good release kick.......

We have a few guys that look promising and COULD be genuine stars in Stack, Balta and CCJ also Bolton could become one in due time

Who knows who else might pop up once they get an opportunity

but in saying that it’s not something that you can really draft for it’s generally something that just evolves naturally and it can come from anywhere in the draft some guys meet that early potential, some don’t and a very small amount Elevate themselves to become top tier players

just got to back the recruting team in to keep the list healthy, well rounded and hope we get a little bit of luck along the way

I could see him as a better option than Broad for instance....reckon he would be a great intercept mark, plus his speed would be a weapon, either spoiling or getting to contests and having that good release kick.......
No.

Some good points made above from all. Some people see Balta as a KF, some as a dynamic big wingman and some as a KD. I stand in the KD line. Reckon hes looked his best at VFL level in the backline and really seemed to add a dimension to his game towards the end of the season (intercepting). If he could go on to become a quality KD it would alleviate so many headaches in the future but he still has a lot of work to do when it comes to 1 v 1 defending. Im a fan of Garthwaite, a tad undersized for true KD but in his short career to date has shown he can bat above his average when it comes to manning big KF's, looks like hes going to be a hybrid tall/medium like Broad and Grimes. The kid coming out of our academy is a KPD and is rated pretty highly so its good to know he'll be joining the ranks in a year. Based on that I think our stocks are ok but we'd want to know a lot more about Balta and Garth this time next season.

Up fwd I really like CCJ, that kid has got one of the best pair of hands Ive seen in a long time. He clunks big marks week in week out and looks very comfortable playing as a KF. Needs to work on his set shot kicking and ruckwork, although that will come as he gets stronger through the core. Hoping Chol goes on with it and keeps developing after a positve season. Expecting both Chol and CCJ to push hard to play 10-12 games each next year - will be disappointed(in them) if they dont.

Ruck we are stacked.

Depending on CCJ we may need to look at bringing in another KF from outside ala Lynch when Jack slows down
Gidday Mr Montana, i like what you see in Garthy, there has been so many negatives thrown at this young man it ''baffles'' me how quick some rfc supporters are to ''eat their own''! At the end of 2018 he had an ankle clean out and spurs removed from his ankle, throwing strain onto his opposite achillies tendon when he tried to run,
he had ''NO'' pre season leading into 2019 and had to play AFL 4th game in at 55% fitness. What he achieved by years end was really quite ''admirable''. Give him a full pre season leading into 2020 and like Soldo last year, i think he will show us all his solid one on one game, his quick closing speed, and his big tank and endurance! He now knows his ''roll'' after his 3 year apprenticeship? As to his height, just look at the team photo that the sun published in the lead up to the 2019 finals and who he is standing next to, 192cm- not ''friggin'' likely.

Last edited:
- He isnt needed anymore
- No one talks him up as "the next big thing", and if they do they are a nuffy........ missed most of the year after breaking his ankle and is surplus to our needs
- Hasnt shown much in his time here, has had ample opportunity and hasnt cemented a spot
Just like horse racing, you have to keep turning over the stable to find the next star. Usually we send our excess to Queensland. Oh, did I just post that.

Gidday Mr Montana, i like what you see in Garthy, there has been so many negatives thrown at this young man it ''baffles'' me how quick some rfc supporters are to ''eat their own''! At the end of 2018 he had an ankle clean out and spurs removed from his ankle, he had ''NO'' pre season leading into 2019 and had to play AFL 4th game in at 55% fitness. What he achieved by years end was really quite ''admirable''. Give him a full pre season leading into 2020 and like Soldo last year, i think he will show us all his solid one on one game, his quick closing speed, and his big tank and endurance! He now knows his ''roll'' after his 3 year apprenticeship? As to his height, just look at the team photo that the sun published in the lead up to the 2019 finals and who he is standing next to, 192cm- not ''friggin'' likely.
I think you're searching for bold typeface. Quotation marks used outside of speech give the word a sarcastic inflection.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

www.foxsports.com.au

‘Stern conversation’ that has added fuel to fire Carlton list boss Stephen Silvagni is on the way out

They must be relatively close to the cap.
Three players have departed, who would have been on decent to moderate salaries (Grigg, Ellis, Butler) and have gained nothing in return, in terms of an established player. Only lower ranked draft choices.
Saw Sam Walsh's highlights from Geelong Falcons, hope we could snare him at the end of 2022.
A couple of senior players should have retired by then which will create salary margin.

Three players have departed, who would have been on decent to moderate salaries (Grigg, Ellis, Butler) and have gained nothing in return, in terms of an established player. Only lower ranked draft choices.
Saw Sam Walsh's highlights from Geelong Falcons, hope we could snare him at the end of 2022.
A couple of senior players should have retired by then which will create salary margin.
We're not getting Sam Walsh. End of story.

Hey what did we get for Menadue and Moore? Surely picks in the 30’s? Apparently there are a lot of supporters who have had a gutful of us giving players away for nothing and making other teams better. Or are you telling me players worth nothing got us nothing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not how it works. Players have backended contracts that need a pay rise next year. Guys that were rookies will be on substantially more. We are on the limit. That is why we have to give players away.

I said we are close to the cap, that is all.
As if I was unaware of the Lynch contract lel.
They are offloading players to accommodate the cap.

Gidday Mr Montana, i like what you see in Garthy, there has been so many negatives thrown at this young man it ''baffles'' me how quick some rfc supporters are to ''eat their own''! At the end of 2018 he had an ankle clean out and spurs removed from his ankle, throwing strain onto his opposite achillies tendon when he tried to run,
he had ''NO'' pre season leading into 2019 and had to play AFL 4th game in at 55% fitness. What he achieved by years end was really quite ''admirable''. Give him a full pre season leading into 2020 and like Soldo last year, i think he will show us all his solid one on one game, his quick closing speed, and his big tank and endurance! He now knows his ''roll'' after his 3 year apprenticeship? As to his height, just look at the team photo that the sun published in the lead up to the 2019 finals and who he is standing next to, 192cm- not ''friggin'' likely.
Bravo ,,bravo well said fully concur

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Trade/Draft/Targets Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back