List Mgmt. Trade & Draft UltraThread- Warning, May Contain Speculation #combinethethreads

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We'd have to be giving up a pretty important player to ever have enough picks to land both Kelly and Robertson this year.

One or the other folks. Can't have everyone.

Even if we don't trade for Kelly, initial thoughts show it's unlikely he'll be available at our first pick anyway.

And that's before priority picks, academy selections and free agency compensation push it back even further.

We'd have to be giving up a pretty important player to ever have enough picks to land both Kelly and Robertson this year.

One or the other folks. Can't have everyone.
Or we trade 2020 1R + Swans' 2019 2R + young player for Kelly and use our existing 1R on Robertson, hoping he's there?

Or we trade 2020 1R + Swans' 2019 2R + young player for Kelly and use our existing 1R on Robertson, hoping he's there?

Ignoring the fact your trade suggestion of "young player" is very vague, and unlikely to be accepted by Geelong anyway, unless it's Brander..

Our existing round one pick... 17 will probably end up being pick 23. Robertson still needs to slide a fair bit for that to be a possibility.

Personally, unless we're trading higher up the draft order, i don't think we're a shot at drafting him. Like i said, can't have everyone, especially when you're the premiers 🤷‍♂️

Ignoring the fact your trade suggestion of "young player" is very vague, and unlikely to be accepted by Geelong anyway, unless it's Brander..

Our existing round one pick... 17 will probably end up being pick 23. Robertson still needs to slide a fair bit for that to be a possibility.
Young players could include Brander, Petruccelle or Venables.

If Robertson simply won't be there at our first pick, that will be true regardless of what happens with Kelly. My point is we could keep our first pick this year and still make a reasonable play for Kelly.

If we go all the way to the GF this year, our 2020 1R would likely be more appealing than our 2019 1R. There is at least the chance of us not finishing as high.

If we go all the way to the GF this year, our 2020 1R would likely be more appealing than our 2019 1R. There is at least the chance of us not finishing as high.

Yes definitely a higher chance if we go to the GF. Though Geelong will argue that we will be taking a top 3 player from the current minor premiers and giving it to a direct top 2 side competitor. They’ll see us getting better and their side getting worse. Selwood has gone backwards and Dangerfield plays one of the more physical games out there. But I’d like Devan so make it happen Vozzo.

Yes definitely a higher chance if we go to the GF. Though Geelong will argue that we will be taking a top 3 player from the current minor premiers and giving it to a direct top 2 side competitor. They’ll see us getting better and their side getting worse.
So be it. If Kelly requests a trade to WC, there's no clause about ladder positions that gets Geelong out of that situation.

How about we win Back to back. Then our pitch will be different to these players. Come to Eagles for Dynasty and potential 3p or god forbid 4P. I would be happy to trade some of these guys if we end getting both Coniglio and Kelly.Imagine adding these two to our squad. It is game set match really. If i was part of the Eagles executive team and we actually have a sniff at getting both of them, I would throw kitchen sink at them. Now, about Gaff, we do not really know what happened there. Maybe we gave him a year extension so we could trade him to Geelong for like for like.That is still a possibility.We do not know the terms and conditions of his contract. We couldn't do that last year cuz North were lurking. If he wants to go back then swap for Kelly would be ok for us. then we use all our picks for Coniglio.I don't think Cats will be too upset for GAFF Kelly swap.

Young players could include Brander, Petruccelle or Venables.

If Robertson simply won't be there at our first pick, that will be true regardless of what happens with Kelly. My point is we could keep our first pick this year and still make a reasonable play for Kelly.

I like the suggestion of trading Venables or Petch. Venables because he presents well and probably overvalued for his career output so far, (he's also only 20yrs old. Oh the potential!) and Petch because we have a lot of small forwards so the loss is easily covered.

Brander, though, no forking way!

We really need to engineer a pick upgrade with a club that needs draft points. Get a top 10 pick and trade that to Geelong + 2020 1st. Two first round draft picks is as high as any club could ever expect to receive for a player, if Geelong turn that down then we need to walk away. Flags are won with a quality list, not with individual players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now, about Gaff, we do not really know what happened there. Maybe we gave him a year extension so we could trade him to Geelong for like for like.That is still a possibility.We do not know the terms and conditions of his contract. We couldn't do that last year cuz North were lurking. If he wants to go back then swap for Kelly would be ok for us. then we use all our picks for Coniglio.I don't think Cats will be too upset for GAFF Kelly swap.

Have heard he signed relatively long term but with a soccer style "release clause" in his contract. E.g. If offer is made that equals x-value draft picks, we have to release him.

Also, I'm making the above up but let's see if the rumour takes off.

I'd straight swap Brander for Kelly *if* Brander asked to go to the Cats but that's the only scenario where trading Brander is palatable.
The club rated him higher than OAllen and TKelly 18months ago. Not that much has changed... surely! Otherwise fold our recruiters! :p

Gaff's recent interviews doesn't give me any confidence that he wants to be here long term. Rather that he wants to be here during our premiership window since he's bitterly disappointed about missing out on a flag last year due to his actions.

I'd straight swap Brander for Kelly *if* Brander asked to go to the Cats but that's the only scenario where trading Brander is palatable.
The club rated him higher than OAllen and TKelly 18months ago. Not that much has changed... surely! Otherwise fold our recruiters! :p

Cobber, Geelong wouldn't straight swap Kelly for Brander without also including our first or next year's first at a minimum.

One is a developing tall playing in the WAFL, the other was just runner up B&F at his club and is the favourite to win the Brownlow medal.

Surely we'd have to include Marsden.

Have heard he signed relatively long term but with a soccer style "release clause" in his contract. E.g. If offer is made that equals x-value draft picks, we have to release him.

Also, I'm making the above up but let's see if the rumour takes off.
If that is true that is a very smart play from WC. Gaff no doubt has some concerns about his dad in the back of his mind so having an out clause will have WC help get back home if he asks and in return signing a long term contract means WC gets picks out of it instead of FA. Lets say 2 years into his contract he wants come home we will get way more value for him then if he comes out of contract for FA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back