List Mgmt. Trade & Draft UltraThread- Warning, May Contain Speculation #combinethethreads

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cobber, Geelong wouldn't straight swap Kelly for Brander without also including our first or next year's first at a minimum.

One is a developing tall playing in the WAFL, the other was just runner up B&F at his club and is the favourite to win the Brownlow medal.

Surely we'd have to include Marsden.

I know Geelong won't do it. In a trade like that they view Brander as something slightly more than the steak knives. We lose far too much packing him up in any Kelly deal.

I'd expect picks back with Marsden included.

If that is true that is a very smart play from WC. Gaff no doubt has some concerns about his dad in the back of his mind so having an out clause will have WC help get back home if he asks and in return signing a long term contract means WC gets picks out of it instead of FA. Lets say 2 years into his contract he wants come home we will get way more value for him then if he comes out of contract for FA.

It's a complete lie I made up. Highlight my post you quoted to see a secret little admission :)

I'm surprised these types of clauses don't exist in the AFL though. Protects club from being held to ransom by a player's trade demand, and protects a player from being held hostage (case in point, TK).

Still find talk of trading Gaff silly. He re-signed in October long term and is already 27 years old.

It's not like his dad had health concerns pop up two years into an existing deal or in January or anything, he had heart surgery in August last year.

Gaff had every opportunity to leave WC last year and was under no obligation to sign a 5, 6, 7 year deal.

Trade Jake Waterman to Geelong...hes a gun full forward Geelong :) We keep Brander the next Wayne Carey :)

P.S only joking on the Gun part...

2019 1st round pick + J Waterman + D Venables for T Kelly + Quinten Narkle.

Coniglio

GWS wouldnt match due to salary cap so he just leaves.

We need to make more room.
Send Masten to GC

Francis Watson must play next season. We need to work out what to do with Nelson and Cole.

Last edited:
We'd have to be giving up a pretty important player to ever have enough picks to land both Kelly and Robertson this year.

One or the other folks. Can't have everyone.

Even if we don't trade for Kelly, initial thoughts show it's unlikely he'll be available at our first pick anyway.

And that's before priority picks, academy selections and free agency compensation push it back even further.

Big risk to pick up Kelly, the go home factor is real, even though it can be used - its real here, its real for Brad Hill.

Ainsworth or Brayshaw?

I’m not criticising our drafting overall that year (have said enough on Kelly). But hopefully we’re keeping in contact with Zurhaar’s management.

If Gaff does want to go home, and North are still keen, Zurhaar could be involved.

Wrong draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I'd trade Gaff, this years second and next years first in return for Kelly and Geelong's first rounder tbh, then use our two firsts this year to try for Cogs. It would be selling a bit of the future, but it would definitely make our team stronger

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both drafted to other clubs. You could add Kepler Bradley and Harley Bennell to Freo in that case.

Not sure if old news, but Xavier Ellis mentioned somebody is possibly leaving and a bit of money opening up for Tim Kelly specifically in this podcast (eighteen and a bit minutes in). https://omny.fm/shows/the-hard-ball-gets-afl-show/two-minute-warning-the-round-15-takes-ep-55
“Middle aged”. Gaff and Darling are really the only two that fit the criteria of being that age, future being apparently up in the air (purely media speculation) and having any noticeable cash to clear. Everyone else is either on the verge of retirement, already been traded to us, or too young to be worth anything in a cap relief. Surely Darlings going nowhere, so that leaves Gaffy.. very easy to speculate and join the dots about the vague contract and Xavier’s comments but that’s all it is at this stage, speculation.

“Middle aged”. Gaff and Darling are really the only two that fit the criteria of being that age, future being apparently up in the air (purely media speculation) and having any noticeable cash to clear. Everyone else is either on the verge of retirement, already been traded to us, or too young to be worth anything in a cap relief. Surely Darlings going nowhere, so that leaves Gaffy.. very easy to speculate and join the dots about the vague contract and Xavier’s comments but that’s all it is at this stage, speculation.
Where is the Gaff noise coming from? I've only seen people here speculate about his contract.

Could be referring to Redden going home?

Have heard he signed relatively long term but with a soccer style "release clause" in his contract. E.g. If offer is made that equals x-value draft picks, we have to release him.

Also, I'm making the above up but let's see if the rumour takes off.

Not sure about that, isn’t that the reason Tippett got suspended for half a season for? Draft tampering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back