List Mgmt. Trade & F.A. 2017 (if a scenario sounds wrong - read on before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he was 5 years younger I could back this view, but he's 27 and yet to manage even 25 goals in a year before this season. For context, even Jesse White averages more goals per game across their careers so far, and he doesn't have Reid's excuse of playing a lot of games in defence to fall back on as a reason for that.

He does have a redeeming feature in his strong contested marking, but as I said earlier, beware the player out of contract having a career year.
Yeh I agree and would not sell the farm for him. He is clearly the best big contested mark we could get and would immediately make our structure better. Also keep in mind this dude has been playing in one of the worst teams we have seen over the past 10 years. He is having a career best season in the worst attack in the league. No other free agent fits the forward style we need.

Yeh I agree and would not sell the farm for him. He is clearly the best big contested mark we could get and would immediately make our structure better. Also keep in mind this dude has been playing in one of the worst teams we have seen over the past 10 years. He is having a career best season in the worst attack in the league. No other free agent fits the forward style we need.
It worries me that with a guy like Casboult we'll fall in to the trap of bombing it long again. I hate playing like that and it's been happening a bit less without Cloke (although still more than I'd like).

He has 20 goals from 13 games. This would translate to about a 34 goal season if he kept it up. You really think improving by 6 goals a season over 22 matches is fairy land? He has done this in a team that is the lowest scoring in the whole league.

Collingwood has scored almost 200 points more (Read approx 30 goals as a team more) and yet we have a whole one player doing better than him for goals this year in Jamie Elliot.

But will he keep up his accurate kicking? History says like Cloke it will go to shit sooner rather than later.

Casboult would be five steps back and up there with Mayne as a one of the worst pick ups. If he's not taking a contested mark or kicking goals he is useless. Better off sticking with Cox for the coin you would have to pay him verse output.

Spot On. Casboult would get around 700k to move from Blues and I would pay nothing Close to That

But will he keep up his accurate kicking? History says like Cloke it will go to shit sooner rather than later.
Not really, He kicked 24 -12 2 seasons ago. I'd take a Patton or a Wright in front of him in a heartbeat. Truth is though they are not available and Reid is too similar to Moore. If Cox showed some marking improvement then maybe he would be the answer, but with no real quality crumbers currently, we need a big beast up forward imo.

700k no chance. 400-500k and that is to much for his output.
5th for contested marks in the league. 23rd for goals in the worst scoring team in the league. You wouldn't offer him slightly above the average age. Not even keeping in mind he might actually take some focus of Moore and let him develop better?

5th for contested marks in the league. 23rd for goals in the worst scoring team in the league. You wouldn't offer him slightly above the average age. Not even keeping in mind he might actually take some focus of Moore and let him develop better?
No. A big slow forward is not what we need unless they are top line. If your going down middle of the road or bottom tier they need to mobile or very cheap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With all the salary increases 700K aint 700K anymore.
Even with the average wage being 370k it really isn't. Your top 12 or so players take the majority of the money and leave the others fighting over the rest earning less than the average wage.

Even with the average wage being 370k it really isn't. Your top 12 or so players take the majority of the money and leave the others fighting over the rest earning less than the average wage.
Did you mean it isn't? or it isn't isn't?

No. A big slow forward is not what we need unless they are top line. If your going down middle of the road or bottom tier they need to mobile or very cheap.
Who is top line? Levi is pretty close to elite for contested marking. In terms of goals he has the following talls ahead of him: Cameron, Franklin, Daniher, Riewoldt, Kennedy, Walker, Brown, Hawkins, Lynch, Dixon, Hooker, Darling and Patton.

Which of those is likely to be available? Most of those guys are playing in teams playing good high scoring football.

What I find confusing is that we need to use our first round draft pick to get some good youth in. We are not in a position to offer a huge deal this year to someone like a Lynch or Patton. So how do we improve our forward line? Or do we just tank and go for a proper draft pick?

Did you mean it isn't? or it isn't isn't?

I meant the average wage really isn't 370k. So even with the new pay deal you can't throw around 700k to any old player. If your paying 700k he would wanna be above average for his position.

I meant the average wage really isn't 370k. So even with the new pay deal you can't throw around 700k to any old player. If your paying 700k he would wanna be above average for his position.
You have to pay the cap so if he's the best you can get he gets the money.

Who is top line? Levi is pretty close to elite for contested marking. In terms of goals he has the following talls ahead of him: Cameron, Franklin, Daniher, Riewoldt, Kennedy, Walker, Brown, Hawkins, Lynch, Dixon, Hooker, Darling and Patton.

Which of those is likely to be available? Most of those guys are playing in teams playing good high scoring football.

What I find confusing is that we need to use our first round draft pick to get some good youth in. We are not in a position to offer a huge deal this year to someone like a Lynch or Patton. So how do we improve our forward line? Or do we just tank and go for a proper draft pick?

Well Sam Reid for one is a younger and more versatile player than Casboult. But I certainly wouldn't pay him 800k a year. If we can't get Reid at a decent price I would be chasing outside speed forward and back that comes at a value price. A quick rebounding back and a quick small forward.

Reid please. Wasn't sold on him before but he's having a great year in terms of marking and on the upward trajectory

And that's what got us Mayne.
Mayne was not the best on offer, I would have loved us to spend the money on Tuohy, that was so patently obviously a need to be filled, a defensive playmaker who averages 27 disposals at 75% efficiency over Mayne who isn't a key forward therefore not a need and even more damningly there was evidence that he was cooked. There were far better options than Mayne. At least Casboult fills a need, can pinch hit the ruck, is an elite mark and is in his prime.

Mayne was not the best on offer, I would have loved us to spend the money on Tuohy, that was so patently obviously a need to be filled, a defensive playmaker who averages 27 disposals at 75% efficiency over Mayne who isn't a key forward therefore not a need and even more damningly there was evidence that he was cooked. There were far better options than Mayne. At least Casboult fills a need, can pinch hit the ruck, is an elite mark and is in his prime.

and Worse Kick for Goal then Cloke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back