List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2018/2019 - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 things

1. You can go up to 1700 points in deficit
2. You can get points and picks back through trade

With the depth in our list if we only get half the injuries we had last year - there will be some very talented players not getting games. Some of these will deserve and opportunity elsewhere and will have currency.
Im not sure how the club does not pick up both WK and IQ especially if clubs value them in the top 10 talent in THIS draft.
we get the same at a 20% discount.

The Age just dropped a trade special podcast.

Jake Niall was at the bar with recruiters after the trade period last night and some apparently intimated the two boys will get bid on higher than we would like.

He also said May's preference was to get to Collingwood.

I'm stoked!!
In: Beams (187 cm Jet), Roughhead (200 cm Utility), picks 41, 44, 57 and two tall Irish prospects Tohill and Keane (198 and 194 cm respectively).
Out: Fas (181 cm forward), pick 18, Future 1st, 56 & 75.

Still possible CFC could pick up Quaynor, Kelly, Grundy and Bosenavulagi through the drafts.

Last edited:
How much time and effort does it take though? You like a kid, you bid, if you miss out because the other team matches, then you draft somebody else. Its hardly an exhausting exercise.
There is a fair lead up to recruiting a first round draftee, they don't just sit back and wait for draft day. Analysis, medicals, interviews, they attend games, watch and rewatch video, they fill their days in these recruiters and there are a lot of kids out there wanting to get drafted. I wouldn't waste my time watching a kid, doing the analysis, reporting back on that talent and doing my due diligence if I was pretty sure he was going elsewhere.

They don't just read the Cal Twomey Phantom guide and go from that.

The Age just dropped a trade special podcast.

Jake Niall was at the bar with recruiters after the trade period last night and some apparently intimated the two boys will get bid on higher than we would like.

He also said May's preference was to get to Collingwood.
Preference was May over Beams for me - shame we didn’t have the currency to get him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we don't get both, surely they would have alternate prospects to fill the gap if required. I can't see them having all their eggs in one basket.
However you would kind of like if they had worked it so we will get both no matter the circumstances of the bidding. Besides several posters here seem to believe we have the points to cover Quaynor and Kelly, even if securing them involves going into deficit.

Gleeson thinks we'll get Quaynor/Kelly, but Niall reckons we'll go into deficit so much that we'll be non-existent in the 2019 draft.

Yeah. We gave up a Fair Bit and Might Mean we can only do Free Agents in 2019 unless we trade something big away or use 2020 Future Draft Picks.

Hawks did that when they got Mitchell and O'Merea where they had no Pick to the 70's

Gleeson thinks we'll get Quaynor/Kelly, but Niall reckons we'll go into deficit so much that we'll be non-existent in the 2019 draft.

I think thats exactly what it means and we are comfortable with that. Think about how many talented kids that wont get senior games. This is what Hawkes and syd did through their successful years. Kids were learning their kraft, game plan and role in the vfl for 1-3 years. When the came into the seniors they were ready made guns.
This is the most depth of talent I can recall us ever having. The only way not having a first round pick in next years draft hurts us IMO is if we dont pick up both IQ and WK.

Yeah. We gave up a Fair Bit and Might Mean we can only do Free Agents in 2019 unless we trade something big away or use 2020 Future Draft Picks.

Hawks did that when they got Mitchell and O'Merea where they had no Pick to the 70's
Would a non existent 2019 draft be such a bad thing when taking into consideration IQ, Kelly, the two Irish kids and quite a young list anyway?

Yeah - tough year next year by the looks unless we use future picks for a gun.

I imagine that a fair portion of our focus will be on getting our cap well structured as Wells etc.....pay runs off and focusing on this list

2019fa.jpg

I think thats exactly what it means and we are comfortable with that. Think about how many talented kids that wont get senior games. This is what Hawkes and syd did through their successful years. Kids were learning their kraft, game plan and role in the vfl for 1-3 years. When the came into the seniors they were ready made guns.
This is the most depth of talent I can recall us ever having. The only way not having a first round pick in next years draft hurts us IMO is if we dont pick up both IQ and WK.
My only issue with being non-existent in the draft is that we're looking at Dunn, Goldsack, Wells, Reid, Varcoe and Greenwood all potentially retiring next season. Maybe not all, but can definitely see a handful of that bunch doing so. Won't be too good if we go into deficit so much that we're left with few draft picks to be able to cover those spare list spots, or are left with the spuds at picks 75 and above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back