List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long story short...
So why isn’t he a Magpie?
The answer is simply because they ranked Trey Ruscoe even higher, and held their nerve on draft night.
So they sent No. 51 to GWS – aware it would be used on Riccardi – in a deal that also saw the Pies move up the order in this year’s draft.
Importantly, they now hold a selection in every round.
Like the Giants did with Riccardi, the Magpies ranked Ruscoe a long way ahead of where they landed him.
They fell in love with the West Australian’s versatility, believing he was one of only a few players who could play in all three parts of the ground.
Ruscoe had excelled as a forward and a midfielder before he was surprisingly deployed in defence at last year‘s national championships.
It was an inspired move and left Ruscoe on the edge of Under-18 All-Australian selection.
I don’t believe that for a second tbh. Fluff from the club to cover their stuff up.

Not sure why everyone is so upset about one player. Sure it would be nice to have him, but we don’t, we still had a decent draft.
We back Kelly and Ruscoe to come good and draft another tall this year. If Riccardi wants to come home in a a few years then have a conversation then.

While yes, I would have loved Riccardi, but I am absolutely happy with Ruscoe.
Straight out of tac cup? We didn’t have a lot of spare picks late with redrafting players.

2017 - ND Stephenson, Murphy, T Brown; RD Appleby, Mihocek, Oxley

2018 - ND Quaynor, Kelly, Atu; RD Broomhead, Murray (contract)

Straight out of tac cup? We didn’t have a lot of spare picks late with redrafting players.

2017 - ND Stephenson, Murphy, T Brown; RD Appleby, Mihocek, Oxley

2018 - ND Quaynor, Kelly, Atu; RD Broomhead, Murray (contract)
Oh, I was referring to last year. But yes, straight from Tac Cup, we prob didn't have the picks then.

It’s unlikely to be seen this way, but if Ruscoe was always going to be our last selection perhaps Rantall or Bianco should be the comparison.

Riccardi has a year or two on Ruscoe, so it will be interesting to see their development. Versatility is great to have, however I think a player still needs to dominate one position to be more than a role player.

The extra points in this years draft hopefully helps us trade out/up our first round pick.

Saints, dogs and tigs had the picks in between. Wonder which club the GWS were worried would select Riccardi.

Yeah, the pick we got in the trade is actually North's third so in isolation that aspect of it is turning out pretty well.

The first part of the article regarding Riccardi stated:
"The Magpies completed a mountain of homework on Riccardi, 20, and considered taking him straight out of the TAC Cup.

But the goalkicker had a tendency to float wildly in and out of form, making him harder to read than a Chinese newspaper.

They were also wary that the strike-rate of talls taken in the rookie draft was low. Then last year their eyes popped at Riccardi’s improvement in the VFL.

Suddenly, the good games started to string together.

Riccardi booted four goals for Werribee in Round 17 and then 6.2 in Round 18. Playing on crammed VFL ovals he would find space where others would find trouble. Some clubs spoke to Riccardi in the lead-up to last season‘s mid-year draft.

But his hot streak gained steam after that, and so he was left on the shelf as the likes of Will Snelling (Essendon), Marlion Pickett (Richmond) and John Noble (Collingwood) started their AFL careers in May.

Pies coach Nathan Buckley was in need of a focal point and Riccardi was available.

The answer is simply because they ranked Trey Ruscoe even higher, and held their nerve on draft night.

Collingwood‘s plan was always to take Ruscoe, 19, with its last pick, and that’s exactly what transpired.

It was tight between Ruscoe and Riccardi, but once that call was made the Magpies decided to gift-wrap Riccardi to GWS.

Giants coach Leon Cameron requested a tall or medium forward and his recruiters rated Riccardi at pick 30.

But they did not have a selection in that range.

So once pick 40 rolled around they hit the phones, desperate to trade into the draft.

Finally, at pick 51, the Magpies answered the call. The Pies held 51 and 55 and knew they’d land Ruscoe at 55.

So they sent No. 51 to GWS – aware it would be used on Riccardi – in a deal that also saw the Pies move up the order in this year’s draft.

Like the Giants did with Riccardi, the Magpies ranked Ruscoe a long way ahead of where they landed him.

Importantly, they now hold a selection in every round."

The first part of the article regarding Riccardi stated:
"The Magpies completed a mountain of homework on Riccardi, 20, and considered taking him straight out of the TAC Cup.

But the goalkicker had a tendency to float wildly in and out of form, making him harder to read than a Chinese newspaper.

They were also wary that the strike-rate of talls taken in the rookie draft was low. Then last year their eyes popped at Riccardi’s improvement in the VFL.

Suddenly, the good games started to string together.

Riccardi booted four goals for Werribee in Round 17 and then 6.2 in Round 18. Playing on crammed VFL ovals he would find space where others would find trouble. Some clubs spoke to Riccardi in the lead-up to last season‘s mid-year draft.

But his hot streak gained steam after that, and so he was left on the shelf as the likes of Will Snelling (Essendon), Marlion Pickett (Richmond) and John Noble (Collingwood) started their AFL careers in May.

Pies coach Nathan Buckley was in need of a focal point and Riccardi was available.

Collingwood‘s plan was always to take Ruscoe, 19, with its last pick, and that’s exactly what transpired.

It was tight between Ruscoe and Riccardi, but once that call was made the Magpies decided to gift-wrap Riccardi to GWS.

Giants coach Leon Cameron requested a tall or medium forward and his recruiters rated Riccardi at pick 30.

But they did not have a selection in that range.

So once pick 40 rolled around they hit the phones, desperate to trade into the draft.

Finally, at pick 51, the Magpies answered the call. The Pies held 51 and 55 and knew they’d land Ruscoe at 55.

Importantly, they now hold a selection in every round."

So intead of Picking Riccardi we tried to get Points possible for Reef?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Long story short...
Importantly, they now hold a selection in every round.
They fell in love with the West Australian’s versatility, believing he was one of only a few players who could play in all three parts of the ground.
Ruscoe had excelled as a forward and a midfielder before he was surprisingly deployed in defence at last year‘s national championships.
It was an inspired move and left Ruscoe on the edge of Under-18 All-Australian selection.
Morons sack em

Can someone remind me of the significance of having a pick in every round going into this 2020 draft?
Well quite obviously it’s important so that instead of having Riccardi now, we have a slim chance of selecting someone similar one year later.

We would of had to forgoe Dunns spot. He was rookied after but the spot was available to senior list as well.
Ah ok. That makes it hurt that much more really....

Well quite obviously it’s important so that instead of having Riccardi now, we have a slim chance of selecting someone similar one year later.
It was to accumulate points for Reef so we’re able to get value for our first by trading it, or if a bid doesn’t come before our first pick.

I was thinking maybe points for Reef, but you don’t NEED a pick in every round for that.

I think it’s all bs. We wanted Ruscoe. We got Ruscoe.
Correct. We need to wait a couple of years to assess who's the better player. Ruscoe I think is a couple of years younger.
Riccardi has had form issues in the past. We shall see.
I'm sick of hearing we could have had him. We move on

Hope we have a look at McLean from the swans. Out of contract, 197cm, 21 year old KPF who is a really good contested mark. I was big fan of him in his draft year before he went to the swans as a supplementary pick up for 2019, He has been playing mostly ruck for them due to necessity but I Think he has the scope to be a really good KF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back