List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency Part 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Amon was a free agent. In his last year at Port he topped their Brownlow voting and was third in their B&F. He played every single game of his last three years at Port, didn't miss one. Got double-figure Brownlow votes in each of the last two of those years.

Impey played 75 games in his four years at Port. That's 19 a year from the day he was drafted. In 2016 he won the Gavin Wanganeen Medal for Port's best under-21 player.
Impey was poor in his last couple of seasons at Port.
Probably am incorrect on Amon but I don't recall Port fighting tooth and nail to keep him.

I think that we'd have to pay overs for 2 and for that reason it's a no from me, They'll more than likely take a tall at 2 as they're desperate for KPP's, and the reasoning for them to trade 2 is to get 2 x talls, we're better off keeping those picks and doing what they want to do.
6 and 20 could get them one of Trainor/Armstrong and a Whitlock. Good deal for both clubs.

I wouldn't give up anything more than a Graham comp #23 +#10 to move up to #2
Are you okay? I swear some of you need to take the Richmond goggles off.

I'd be gutted if we gave up picks 6 & 9 for pick 2.

If you went to the North board with that, i bet they would jump at it, if a side is jumping at it then that means we are getting bent over.

Agree! There’s no player in this draft worth two top 10 picks in this draft.

In what world does North accept 6 and 21 for 2? Lol
On one had you're arguing that Baker plus 10 for 3 is good for us because we get what we want. (Correct.) Same for Norf in this. They are taking 3 picks, currently their third is pick 40. They want a tall. They can get the same tall at 6 as they'd get at 2. This way they are effectively swapping pick 40 for pick 20.

Impey was poor in his last couple of seasons at Port.
Probably am incorrect on Amon but I don't recall Port fighting tooth and nail to keep him.
That looks suspiciously like relocated goalposts.

Impey missed the first third of his second-last season at Port with a bad hammy. His last year he got into discipline problems.

Carlton can’t have their cake and eat it, they want to keep P12 and land Houston!
So they need one of our R1 picks in exchange for their future r1 and some more.
That’s not going to work . Their future R1 pick could be mid teens, in a weaker draft.
The “and more “ part would have to be something significant . I’d hope we would not settle for Binns, who I’ve read we are interested in.

The thing is Carlton aren't getting Houston cheap like a late rd 1 pick. He is contracted like D Rioli and for the same term, the same age, and is twice AA and gets high player ratings than Dan Rioli. If we are expecting pick 6+ for Rioli, no way Port shuld be accepting something like pick 17 sliding 3-4 places for Houston. If Carlton want Houston it is like 2024 rd 1 + F1 and possibly something going back to the Blues like Port's 37 + F2. Port really should be just demanding Blues 2024 rd 1 pick(likely about 13 after sliding) + Blues rd 2 pick 31 or gagf. No need for Richmond to have owt to do with it.

I think that we'd have to pay overs for 2 and for that reason it's a no from me, They'll more than likely take a tall at 2 as they're desperate for KPP's, and the reasoning for them to trade 2 is to get 2 x talls, we're better off keeping those picks and doing what they want to do.
What if we want the best three mids, and one tall?

We'll be able to get two if we want, there are a stack of good options in the 15-40 range.

6 and 20 could get them one of Trainor/Armstrong and a Whitlock. Good deal for both clubs.
Not going to happen, they'd want a rolled gold opportunity of taking both Armstrong and Trainor which is exactly why we should keep our picks and take the best available.

Not sure how things will pan out but I would think that all of North, Melbourne, Saints and Essendon could be targeting talls. We have to build our engine room and if the noise about Cadman is correct then he'll want to see that list build over this year and the next 2 to entice him. I know we can't expect to snare him but if we don't target talls until later in the first round then the first phase of our rebuild is underway.

I still want Gerreyn.

Not going to happen, they'd want a rolled gold opportunity of taking both Armstrong and Trainor which is exactly why we should keep our picks and take the best available.

Not sure how things will pan out but I would think that all of North, Melbourne, Saints and Essendon could be targeting talls. We have to build our engine room and if the noise about Cadman is correct then he'll want to see that list build over this year and the next 2 to entice him. I know we can't expect to snare him but if we don't target talls until later in the first round then the first phase of our rebuild is underway.

I still want Gerreyn.
If the only way Norf can obtain said rolled-gold opportunity is from us, and we don't give it to them, do you think they'll just say ok, we'll take one of them at 2 and see who's left at 40?

Gerreyn can't run.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On one had you're arguing that Baker plus 10 for 3 is good for us because we get what we want. (Correct.) Same for Norf in this. They are taking 3 picks, currently their third is pick 40. They want a tall. They can get the same tall at 6 as they'd get at 2. This way they are effectively swapping pick 40 for pick 20.

That looks suspiciously like relocated goalposts.

Impey missed the first third of his second-last season at Port with a bad hammy. His last year he got into discipline problems.
On your first point I think Baker and 9/10 for 3 is good for both clubs. West Coast get a proven hard nut who would be in their best 18 and they only suffer a 6-7 place drop and can still draft a great kid that won't be a flight risk.
Regarding pick 2, it's different to me because they are shifting back 4 spots in the draft which could potentially lose them the player they want. Everyone assumes they want Trainor and they probably do. But if I'm giving up essentially a guaranteed shot to get the player I want, you'd wanna make it worth it. 6 and 21 I don't believe is worth it. 6 and 9 or 10 is better because they can at least say "hey if we don't get the player we wanted at 2 at 6, at least we will have 9/10 to get another great kid to make up for it". I'm not even sure if they take that though.

On the shifting of the goalposts, I don't think I did really. From memory my initial point is that neither of them were in their best 15 players. I am happy to concede on Amon as you raised some good points but on Impey, he was struggling toward the back end of his time at Port.
Port were, to the best of my knowledge, content with losing both which essentially meant they were expendable in their eyes.

21 the 1st pick in the 2nd rnd.Very valuable.
2 down too 6 they'll still get their man.
Trainer or Armstrong.
21 is basically a thank you.
You say "they'll still get their man" but you can't know as a certainty. 2 is a sure thing. 6 is a "hopefully this doesn't blow up in our faces".

FWIW I don't think it would blow up in their faces but if I'm North and after being as shit as they have been for so long, you can't really stuff this up or you'll be out of a job.

Im not seeing a Dusty or a Dangerfield not even a JUH , JHF , Reid or even a Dyson Sharp in the top 10 this year and any player could be the best of the draft

Take our picks and dont bother trading up and trust the recruiters to pick the eyes out and build depth
They get paid to pick the best player and we have pick #1 so do the work

I can see us trading up for 2 or 3 but not both- allows us to take our 2 highest rated kids at the expense of something like Baker and a pick around 10/14- seems reasonable to give confidence in our selections given how many picks we will have.

If we get pick 3 do we really need pick 2? I really hope we don't pay overs just so we get the first 3 picks.

I agree- likely having conversations with both to see what value it’ll cost and then play them off against each other to get a better deal.

If we end up with 1,2&3 then I’m assuming 1 will be Armstrong and that we don’t think he’ll last to 6. If it’s not and we take 3 mids, then that has to mean we have a free agent/trade KPF target in the works!

Surprised you get a lot of disagree reactions. Jai Serong and West are the types we should be targeting. Less so West, but can play.
Jai Serong has been starring at VFL level and is starved of opportunity.

Like it or hate it, we need to trade for some fringe players so that we remain competitive while the draftees develop. That's what Hawthorn did with the likes of Amon, Chol and Impey.

A lot of people on here think anyone not best 22 in the AFL is a spud, despite all the evidence to the contrary. Both these players are young and have experienced players in front of them.

1 - ours
2 - Trade 6 and 10 - 600 point surplus to the Roos, who may need volume of kids rather than 1 more
3 - Trade Baker and 9 - points difference would estimate Bakers value at pick 25

so it would just be what on top of 6 would we get from GC in the Rioli deal, so best case 13

so if all these deals go as planned, we could have

1 , 2 , 3 , 13 , 21 , 29

We overpay north in that deal
the WC deal prob under values Baker as well\
So it's not as if we are trying to rip anyone off in these deals.

The biggest issue I see, is just that North and WC don't want to take the risk and so the deal, even if the deals favour them.

We may also try and package up some later deals to move up the order a bit with clubs with academy/F/S selections

We need Volume of youth more than North do.

That is absurd.

Who do you value so highly at two? Every chance guys like Lalor, Reid, Armstrong, Langford, Smillie, etc. are on the board at 6-10. You’d take two of them over Jagga Smith every day of the week and twice on Sundays.
I've been pretty consistent in saying that I personally value the ability to have control over my destiny. At pick 2 you are 99% getting the player you want. Those percentages drop every pick.

Admittedly, this draft is unique where it seems like you can predict the top 8-10 with relative ease. I just don't like the idea of losing a sure thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency Part 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back