List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency Part 10

Remove this Banner Ad

If we end up with the first 3 picks Brisbane would be quick to hand over their first pick if it meant we were not going to bid on Ashcroft. We could probably squeeze em for a future pick too.
It saves them a lot of points if they don't have to worry about a bid until 4. Pretty valuable.

maybe, if they think they can cover their need with 2 top 10 players rather than one.

if it were 6 and a pick in the teens or further, you are 100% right
Exactly. Norf need KPP not midfielders. So 2 is probably a reach for the best KPP, but 6 isn't. Then they get a bonus pick. They'd be all over a deal like that. Unless they think Melbourne will beat them to the punch.

Richmond - midfielder
Norf - KP
WC - Midfielder or KP (likely one from WA but they'll trade back)
Adelaide - Midfielder
Melbourne - KP

Picks : 1-6-9-10-14-20-21-22 would be the best result & not wasting any by trading up to #2 o#3 unless Baker was involved. Hopefully we can get the following;

Fos
Jagga
Ried
Armstrong
Gross
Berry
Faull

I'd sooner pick with 1, 2, 3 & 12 in the first round than 1, 7, 11, 12, 17 & 22.

(Taking into account picks getting pushed back by approx. bids and FA compo)
Both views could be correct but we don’t know what the club knows. They may only rate a handful of players.

That is absurd.

Who do you value so highly at two? Every chance guys like Lalor, Reid, Armstrong, Langford, Smillie, etc. are on the board at 6-10. You’d take two of them over Jagga Smith every day of the week and twice on Sundays.
Don't forget come draft night 10 is actually 12 or 13. None of the guys you've listed will be there at that point.

If we get Brisbane's pick I'd be pushing for that with 6 for 2.

Don't forget come draft night 10 is actually 12 or 13. None of the guys you've listed will be there at that point.

Take Ashcroft and Lombard out of it. In no particular order: O’Sullivan, Smith, Langford, Smillie, Trainor, Reid, Lalor, Armstrong and Draper are the next nine players. If we have 1, 6 and 9, we are getting three of them.

What if we want the best three mids, and one tall?

We'll be able to get two if we want, there are a stack of good options in the 15-40 range.
Pick 3 seems probable, with Baker + 10 likely sufficing, though some peripheral adjustments might be necessary.

Using picks 1, 3, and 6 could secure the three midfielders we're targeting, especially if North opts for a tall with their second pick.

Pick 1 choices, in no particular order:

• Jagga
  • FOS
  • Draper
  • Langford
  • Reid
  • (Ashcroft)
  • Lalor

For Pick 2, North might select Armstrong following a bid on Ashcroft.

Pick 3 remains open.

9 is only 10 with FA compo to St Kilda. No point worrying about whether Ashcroft or Lombard get a bid before that pick.

The below 9 are from Twomey’s August phantom draft top 10 (+ Ashcroft). If St Kilda get pick 9 compo we could completely miss out on one of them but they are unlikely to remain the standout top 10 (if they even were to begin with).

FOS
Smith
Langford
Armstrong
Trainor
Lalor
Draper
Smillie
Reid

That's not correct, Ashcroft and Lombard aren't available anyway, meaning that all of the others still are available

Pick 3 seems probable, with Baker + 10 likely sufficing, though some peripheral adjustments might be necessary.

Using picks 1, 3, and 6 could secure the three midfielders we're targeting, especially if North opts for a tall with their second pick.

Pick 1 choices, in no particular order:

• Jagga
  • FOS
  • Draper
  • Langford
  • Reid
  • (Ashcroft)
  • Lalor

For Pick 2, North might select Armstrong following a bid on Ashcroft.

Pick 3 remains open.
There is a particular order, in that if someone else has pick 2 and we don't take FOS at 1, he will go at 2. But Jagga won't. So it's 1 FOS.

Lalor's injury might see him slip out of the top 4 but I'd still take him ahead of Langford or Reid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is a particular order, in that if someone else has pick 2 and we don't take FOS at 1, he will go at 2. But Jagga won't. So it's 1 FOS.

Lalor's injury might see him slip out of the top 4 but I'd still take him ahead of Langford or Reid.
The key here is what North does, if they take a tall and we have pick 3 then we get the 2 best mids on our board, could easily be FOS and Lalor. Not forgetting that we still have pick 6, Draper, Reid, Jagga, Langford and one of those will still be available, there's also the possibility that the Dees take a tall in which case 2 of the above will be available.

I think that pick 6 is extremely valuable, not just for the above scenario, but also because we get to pick before the Saints who'll clean out the rest of those top end mids.

That is incorrect - of the players available (excluding Father and sons etc) we have the tenth opportunity to draft a player - it may mean 12 or 13 selection but it represents the tenth available player

You say "they'll still get their man" but you can't know as a certainty. 2 is a sure thing. 6 is a "hopefully this doesn't blow up in our faces".

FWIW I don't think it would blow up in their faces but if I'm North and after being as shit as they have been for so long, you can't really stuff this up or you'll be out of a job.
There is no doubt in my mind at the very least they will have a choice of either Trainor or Armstrong pending on what the dees do.So the guarantee of their man is still there.
The chances of them agreeing too the deal is in all probability is low and tbh pick 6 we'd probably get our 3rd man anyway.
But 3 is a must.

That is absurd.

Who do you value so highly at two? Every chance guys like Lalor, Reid, Armstrong, Langford, Smillie, etc. are on the board at 6-10. You’d take two of them over Jagga Smith every day of the week and twice on Sundays.
Doubt it

That is absurd.

Don’t you mean you’d take 2 over the top of FOS?

Last edited:
There is no doubt in my mind at the very least they will have a choice of either Trainor or Armstrong pending on what the dees do.So the guarantee of their man is still there.
The chances of them agreeing too the deal is in all probability is low and tbh pick 6 we'd probably get our 3rd man anyway.
But 3 is a must.
I agree

Pick 1, Pick 3, Pick 6, Pick 10 is probable at this stage. From snippet of info.

Freo very confident Bolton deal is being agreed in principle. Framework at least been done.
So 9 + 10 is agreed, just a matter of whether it's their 2025 first or second that gets added?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency Part 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back