List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency Part 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I get the thinking, but its not like their list is stacked. I would be shocked if they thought they could pick positional players to fill specific holes with the state of their list.
They have the midfield sorted pretty much with LDU Simpkin Sheezel Wardlaw & McKercher so they could look at dropping back get 2 mid R1 picks and target a couple of KPPs or a KPF and midfielder

the finals have shown time and time again that all you need is a tall who competes. Gun small forwards win you games... Joe Berry would be my pick over the best tall. if we had a forward line that had Berry and Jobe Shanahan in it then I could enjoy watching games next year.

Nothing worse than having young mids kicking to the worst forward line in recent memory
Agree with you 100%. Small players win finals. You need a competitive KPF with smalls doing the leg work and roving.
I’d like us to take
2 midfielders - FOS/Jagga/Langford
2 smalls - Berry/Hannaford
2 wing/hb types - Travaglia/Lindsay
1 KPF - Faull
1 ruck - Dodson

8 picks is unlikely but we need to improve almost everywhere

The more I think about it the more I think we will get 9 & 10 for Bolton which will actually be 10 & 11.

Freo fans seem to happy to let 9 & 16* go, majority of us still think 9 & 10 is unders for Bolton as it's not a top 5 pick.

I always think something inbetween if that's the case.

If we get 10 & 11 watch the vulture clubs come in with ridiculous (laughable) offers to try and pry one of those picks from us.

The more I think about it the more I think we will get 9 & 10 for Bolton which will actually be 10 & 11.

Freo fans seem to happy to let 9 & 16* go, majority of us still think 9 & 10 is unders for Bolton as it's not a top 5 pick.

I always think something inbetween if that's the case.

If we get 10 & 11 watch the vulture clubs come in with ridiculous (laughable) offers to try and pry one of those picks from us.

I agree, and could even get 27 as well if we pay enough salary. Freo won’t be stupid enough to risk a situation where West Coast can match their offer.

Care to share why?
IMO

-No chance we get 6 and 13 for Rioli, regardless of how much salary we pay. 6 and 20 is a stretch, if we pay a ****load of the contract IMO.
-Not a chance we get 3 first rounders for Bolton. 9&10 for Bolton and a big chuck of cash is best case scenario. 9 and ~14 (Port will lose this week) more likely.
- The Baker one isn't ambitious, it's too generous. Highly doubt we gift pick 21 with Baker as 1st pick of the 2nd round is always highly sought after and could easily be traded for a F1 off a Pies or Port IMO. Baker and 10 should just about be enough on its own for 3. Sling them a later pick given their crap hand if they want some more fruit.

Should be the first deal of trade week then. Can't think of any excuse why it shouldn't be.

This trade could end up being quite complicated. I could be talking out my arse but Freo will want two first round picks in this draft to meet the 2 in 4 years rule (if it still exists). They haven’t used a first pick in 2022 or 2023 so I believe they must take 2 over 2024/25.

They will want to position themselves to be able to get Warner next year so they won’t want to be locked into using a first pick.

They may be able to trade 17* and 27 for Sydneys two firsts, or upgrade 27 in a player trade. They would be hoping Port lose to Hawks this weekend to increase that picks value.

The trade for us could become complicated if they want pick 20 from us or similar, or if we are looking to get more than picks 9 and 10 for Bolton.

We could end up doing a trade like Bolton + 20 for Picks 9, 10, 27 and their future second. Of course we would have to obtain pick 20. Or we could trade them 22 for 27 and they on-trade that with 17 for Sydneys first two picks.

The permutations are all over the place for our trades.

This trade could end up being quite complicated. I could be talking out my arse but Freo will want two first round picks in this draft to meet the 2 in 4 years rule (if it still exists). They haven’t used a first pick in 2022 or 2023 so I believe they must take 2 over 2024/25.

They will want to position themselves to be able to get Warner next year so they won’t want to be locked into using a first pick.

They may be able to trade 17* and 27 for Sydneys two firsts, or upgrade 27 in a player trade. They would be hoping Port lose to Hawks this weekend to increase that picks value.

The trade for us could become complicated if they want pick 20 from us or similar, or if we are looking to get more than picks 9 and 10 for Bolton.

We could end up doing a trade like Bolton + 20 for Picks 9, 10, 27 and their future second. Of course we would have to obtain pick 20. Or we could trade them 22 for 27 and they on-trade that with 17 for Sydneys first two picks.

The permutations are all over the place for our trades.

They used 2 first round selections in 2021 (8 & 10), None in 2022 & 2023.

So, they have already completed the 2 picks in 4 years rule going into this year. They just need to make sure they use their other 1st rounder this year or move it into next year. So, posts about us getting 3 1st rounders for Bolton is fantasy.

Interesting how Matt Clarke acknowledged Baker’s value as a player & club leader and the Eagles gap in that age range to support older players they have…. On Gettable.

Interesting how Matt Clarke acknowledged Baker’s value as a player & club leader and the Eagles gap in that age range to support older players they have…. On Gettable.

Yep, I read a few months ago this was why West Coast were wanting him, same with Graham. They are both players in that mid 20's range that West Coast don't have many. It's easily overlooked by fans when arguing about what pick a player will go for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So, they have already completed the 2 picks in 4 years rule going into this year. They just need to make sure they use their other 1st rounder this year or move it into next year. So, posts about us getting 3 1st rounders for Bolton is fantasy.

I meant meeting the rule next year if they trade their first away for Warner and their 2025 first. If they used two late firsts this year they don’t have to worry about having a first next year. That rule is stupid though.

Hence my earlier suggestion of 6 and 20 for Rioli.

20 then is used to upgrade to Freo's third 1st rounder in the Bolton trade, while still giving them one 1st round pick

It's twice now that RT has copied my hypothetical only to make it unrealistically favourable to Richmond and very bad for the clubs we're trading with

I meant meeting the rule next year if they trade their first away for Warner and their 2025 first. If they used two late firsts this year they don’t have to worry about having a first next year. That rule is stupid though.
Now that Bolton has nominated them, they are solely focused in getting him. Freo wont risk losing Bolton just because they might get Warner the following year, it's more the supporters who are still thinking about Warner. Freo no different to us in our successful period, they would have a number of names targeted on a list and work through them knowing they won't get them all.

Also the potential effect Bakes & JG could have on Harley Reid’s development is not something I’ve heard about?

Yet WC fans in all their wisdom dont want him, dip shits.

On gettable Matt clarke didn't seem too confident of landing Baker, said managers and players make the most logical choice that isn't fueled by relationships or emotion. Twomey mocked our draft hand with Baker going to freo as well, the age also seemed to be leaning toward baker choosing Freo

I don’t understand people’s reluctance to trade up. If it’s true and the club is looking at getting picks 2 and 3 then you’d assume they have 3 standout candidates. Realistically we take 5 maybe 6 max players in the draft.
If you know you can get the 3 highest rated players on your board and then with later picks (mid 20’s) get maybe 2 project talls of a Whitlock, faull, tauru or Dodson. Why wouldn’t you trade overs in this years draft, maybe try and get an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick in next years draft as well if you can.

Old Tigers, numerous draft picks​

Richmond could look to spread some of their return for wantaway stars Shai Bolton, Daniel Rioli and Liam Baker into the 2025 draft, rather than putting all their eggs in this year’s basket.

The Tigers already hold the No.1 selection in what talent scouts rate as a strong and deep crop – albeit without an obvious dux of the class – but are certain to strengthen their first-round hand in the trade period.

Rioli, who is contracted until 2027, wants to join Gold Coast under his former coach Damien Hardwick, with the Suns holding picks six, 12 (tied to Western Bulldogs) and 20 (North Melbourne assistance package selection) and set to match a bid on academy product Leo Lombard.
Richmond are not expected to inquire about Jack Lukosius as part of the Rioli negotiations, but will demand more compensation than merely pick six for Rioli, who is favoured to win the Jack Dyer Medal this season.
Meanwhile, Collingwood have asked for the Suns’ pick 12 for contracted defender John Noble, in an ambitious opening of negotiations.

Both clubs are aware of the heavy draft hand, including the aforementioned first-round picks, and selections 26, 34, 46 and 70, and know Lombard will attract a first-round bid.
Lukosius has spoken to both South Australian clubs, and is likely to request a trade despite being contracted on a back-ended deal for two more seasons. Collingwood previously expressed interest in the 24-year-old swingman as well.
Bolton and Baker want to return to Western Australia, but are yet to nominate a club. Fremantle, who have selections nine, 10 (Collingwood) and 17 (Port Adelaide), are considered Bolton’s likeliest destination, and they are also in serious contention for Baker, who grew up a West Coast fan but knows the Dockers have been keen on him for years.
The Eagles are poised to receive Hawthorn’s first-round selection for contracted defender Tom Barrass, who has already indicated he wants to join the Hawks. Richmond unrestricted free agent Jack Graham is weighing up an offer from West Coast as well.

The Tigers also have two second-round picks, and another three in the third round, which they hope to use to move up the order, so are shaping to be the biggest players in the 2024 draft.
North Melbourne are open to trading down from No.2, given they already have a good group of promising midfielders, and could select a tall with a later top-10 selection – but finding a trade partner could be a challenge.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency Part 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back