List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency Part 10

Do you support the club trading for picks 2 and/or 3?

• Yes Trade for 2 & 3

• Yes But Only For 2 or 3

• No

• Unsure

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Crows have 4 & 25

So how do you expect the Crows to get another pick in the 7-15 range?

Saints currently have 7 & 24 with possibly 8 if Battle triggers band 1 compo so given they are already outside the top 6, it's not worth chasing a deal with them.
Dunno , up to them how they get if they really want pick one,

Never said we weren't interested prior to the MSD, it's more that at the time a player like Davidson wasn't a need as much as genuine KPPs were. However you say it yourself, the real interest in Davidson came after the MSD when his form become more consistent as he increased his averages for disposals & marks while kicking 19 goals in 11 games. Lets not forget that when the MSD rolled around our list wasn't in the shape that it is now, where we've had a number of retirements as well as trade requests that have created so many openings.

We'll no doubt be hoping that Davidson can make it through to a spot where we're happy to pick him up, but given the needs of our list, he isn't someone we need to prioritize IMO. If another club rates him higher than we do, then I hope the kid gets his chance, because they means that our VFL program continues to be a strong breeding ground, and players looking for a chance at breaking through will want to come and play with us.
I know they aren't the exact same scenarios but if we have another Durham/D'Ambrosio moment I'm actually going to lose my mind. We can't keep letting good players slip away from right under our noses.

We can make all the excuses in the world for the club but talent acquisition from our VFL team needs to be better.

So then the next question is why would they want to deal if they could get the capital when the draft is so even as you say?

The whole discussion is a pointless waste of time
Probably, but it would be a smart move to offer it to see if anyone bites.
Some clubs may have a particular player in mind they are worried will go before they're pick and oppo supporters would possibly pressure their club to do it.

You're right but then we get reports a few weeks back that there are multiple clubs interested in Sam Davidson with us being amongst them. I watched a lot of VFL this year and by no means am I saying I know better but he was showing prominent signs of how good he was and he was showing it on a consistent basis. We had better access than all the other clubs and there is zero chance that we only just had initial interest after the MSD.
It's clear we risked that no one would take him before we choose to at whatever point that is. That risk to me makes very little sense to me when we have the list flexibility that we currently have and would have had a decent idea of six months ago.

Yes no other club did take him and that was fortunate considering the reports we are hearing now. This is nothing against your attitude as I know you're extremely supportive of the club but they stuffed up here and that's okay to admit sometimes. The professionals are not always going to right. Being a fan of this club for as long as we have I've seen us get it wrong plenty of times.

Clubs have delisted mid-season draftees after six months, it's harsh but it's happened. Can't quote exactly who it was but I know it's happened.
I'll also challenge you on the "one really good game prior to MSD" comment. That's just false. He was putting in great performances consistently and I specifically remember a lot of people thinking that we should take him.
I don't think you're remembering well.

Looking Kendrick Lamar GIF by SZA

I will die on this hill.
If Richmond do rate him we can always take him with 1 of our 3rd rounder this draft
i cant see another team taking him prior to pick #40 and our pick #66 will come into #50-#53 which would be perfect

If we rate him

If Richmond do rate him we can always take him with 1 of our 3rd rounder this draft
i cant see another team taking him prior to pick #40 and our pick #66 will come into #50-#53 which would be perfect

If we rate him
Yeah we could and that's not my point. My whole argument is why leave it up to chance?

Yeah we could and that's not my point. My whole argument is why leave it up to chance?
Richmond probably didnt rate him as highly as some (you) maybe
But cant ignore the fact that he was not selected by another club either

I wanted him also specially to replace Meehan

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably just draft him with a pick in late 40s/early 50s. Not all that likely another club would go that early on him in this draft.
Whilst he’s prob good enough to get on a list , I’m just not convinced he has an elite qty that would mean he makes a real impact at afl, tis why I prefer May , he’s big takes a strong mark and could ruck too
As an example Bauer is similar size , he is an elite mark and has a leap
Anyways I’ll leave it to the experts

I know they aren't the exact same scenarios but if we have another Durham/D'Ambrosio moment I'm actually going to lose my mind. We can't keep letting good players slip away from right under our noses.

We can make all the excuses in the world for the club but talent acquisition from our VFL team needs to be better.
No doubt it can be better, but we've been in the wrong position ladder wise to be able to make the most of the VFL talent we've had coming through in recent years, with kids being taken from under our noses due to us being higher on the ladder or having later picks than where they were selected.

scats getting jack martin 😅

With respect, you are posting about Sam Davidson like he is a nailed on cert to be a best 22 AFL player.

The ones from our VFL that turned out to be that, D'Ambrosio and Durham, were taken in the MSD before Richmond had the opportunity. Davidson wasn't taken at all. It is like the teams of 5-6 full time recruiters from 18 clubs have no idea that Davidson is a walk up start AFL player but you alone can see it. And if you don't think he is that level of recruit then why the urgency to get him on the list?

Maybe ask yourself if Sam Davidson was playing for Glenelg or Northern Bullants or Collingwood VFL whether it would have been an error for Richmond to overlook him in the MSD for players they rate higher, Blight and Gray. Because that is for certain how the Richmond list management team would have been looking at it.

I don't pretend to be any sort of AFL talent scout because there are plenty of players I have got wrong. Fraser Turner was one I saw running around getting a few kicks in the VFL and pumping the ball long with penetraton and I thought he would be an AFL player. After this and misjudging some others I started to change the way I thought about what traits might translate to AFL level. If you could look back in threads and see mine and a few other's thoughts on Lefau before he did his knee. A few of us thought we saw some traits that might translate to AFL level. Power, defensive pressure, tackling, size and so on. Most posters thought it was a joke because he only averaged about 9 possessions per game and maybe 1 goal in the VFL. When he played AFL he actually looked perfectly comfortable in the environment, and was fairly productive, all things considered.

Davidson I am less certain about. He is not physically strong, and say you put a Nathan Broad on him, he would struggle to have any impact imo. The club has likely seen him in drills up against players like Trzise and Brown and others. He has some good attributes, great tank, smarts and good skills. There are elements of his game that are not easy to judge watching the VFL casually. Defensive pressure for example. Ability to not get beaten in contests. Ability to stick tackles.

I am guessing you are looking at Davidson's end user type goals and reasoning we need more goal kickers so why not. Why not is because there are dozens of players that the club could get to do that sort of thing. The key is finding the ones who aren't creating deficits in other areas(like defence and contest) to also kick goals consistently. When you look for all that in an AFL forward or prospect, the field narrows enormously, as our mate Cumberland has found out.

Not taking Davidson in the msd might end up being shown to be correct or incorrect. But it won't be debilitating, as he is not Toby Greene. He is probably not even Steely Green level.

Matthew Kennedy delisted. Worth a 2 year contact? 27yo.
Hot Shots Idiot GIF

When did Richmond become the lost and found for discarded spuds.

Just go to the draft and get the best available young talent.

Last edited:
Because there's no quality key forwards available Einstein
Armstrong, J Whitlock, Faull, Shanahan and even M Whitlock are better performed key forwards then Gibcus ever showed as a junior

They’ve all at times been positioned as first round picks and (maybe apart from M Whitlock) are still slated to be first round or early second round selections

you alone can see it.
I'm not entering into a discussion with you when one of the first things you say is that.
Look at any VFL game day thread from before the mid season draft and see if it's "I, alone" that can see it.

Check out the following image and then let me know if it's just "I, alone" that can see it.
Screenshot_20240917-191209.png

Spare me your long winded responses. This is not just a me thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency Part 10

Back