List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency Part 10

Do you support the club trading for picks 2 and/or 3?

• Yes Trade for 2 & 3

• Yes But Only For 2 or 3

• No

• Unsure

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

1728031802671.png

Trade & Free Agency Dates

Free Agency Period - Friday October 4th 9am to Friday October 11th 5pm

Trade Period - Monday 7th October 9am to Wednesday October 16th 7.30pm

Richmond have been linked to the following players:
Ben Hobbs
Elijah Tsatas
Jai Culley
Connor Stone
Jacob Konstanty

Last edited:
for those that may not know David Walls is the son of richmond ex coach and Carlton Hall of Famer, Robert Walls, our worst coach in my memory the northey/walls swap i still have nightmares about.
as a Channel 7 commentator Walls also gave Fremantle players all the votes when the Tigers flogged them by 16 goals.

I don’t even remember that haha what a vvanker

the system around Free Agency is one of the dumbest ive seen in any sport.

Why not just do it like the US. You lose a player through Free Agency, you get nothing but the cap space? The NBA trading system works very well IMO - not this winning lotto on compo picks - if you lose a player in free agency for nothing, then that is poor list management
Playing rosters vs talent pool I probably a bit different though.
We can't just copy and paste because a system works somewhere else, we need to make something that suits our circumstances.
Something needs to change though.

Playing rosters vs talent pool I probably a bit different though.
We can't just copy and paste because a system works somewhere else, we need to make something that suits our circumstances.
Something needs to change though.

I get your point, but even copy/pasting it over with its flaws feels better than McKay claiming pick 2. Its at the top end of the scale where it gets grossly ridiculous.

If the issue is talent pool distribution, then maybe you just create salary groups & add quota's to them, & clubs cannot exceed that number of players in each price bracket range. ie like like below, but with much better researched numbers. I am just doing random amounts.

Ie:
Tier 1 $1,000,000 >3

Tier 2 $850,000 - $999,999 >6

Tier $750,000 - $849,000 >8

I would only have 3 tiers of salary, everything below that would be "unranked". To build in more flexibility, the club can sell Tier Spots to other Tiers to allow for signings. So if a team wants to sign another Tier 1 player IE they can sell 2xTier2 slots to get 1xTier 1 spot. It would ensure you can still end up with different balance teams as its sometimes very fun to see a team be very top loaded trying to win with a lot of group of un-tiered players etc, or vice versa.

By creating slots for top tier players, it would mean losing a player for no return but their contract has added meaning as it might be "we are losing Liam Baker, but we now have money to sign up to 2xTier1's, or sell them both & be able to sign up to 10xTier2s ( ie 4 ontop of the standard allocated 6 Tier 2 above). Giving over-inflated draft picks for players not worth for poor list management and losing is a broken system & it just compromises the draft order every single year.
With all the other "exceptions" they have in the draft for f/s, academy players - its all over the shop.

The biggest thing you would need to do is have young players tied to their clubs on longer contracts & club gets answering rights on first extension (which the nba actually does). It means a player would come in on a 2xyear rookie deal then at the end of that contract the player can accept offers from other clubs, however the club which drafted him gets the option to match the deal & keep their services. If that happens, then the 2 clubs would need to make a deal to get the player across. Players then would all become unrestricted free agents after first extension expires & if they sign elsewhere, the club loses them for naught. Clubs would then need to start considering trading players a year before their contract ends if the player refuses to re-sign. This system works best when a club can trade a player to any team without their consent, unless, that player had previously negotiated a "No Trade Clause" into their contract - then both parties would need to agree to that condition prior, giving the player the right to refuse the trade.

the system around Free Agency is one of the dumbest ive seen in any sport.

Why not just do it like the US. You lose a player through Free Agency, you get nothing but the cap space? The NBA trading system works very well IMO - not this winning lotto on compo picks - if you lose a player in free agency for nothing, then that is poor list management
Yes it has problems, but the US system has its own problems. Can space means nothing when no one wants to come to our team.
FA EXTREMELY benefits large market teams and does nothing for small market teams but takes players from them.

You don't want that system. As on OKC fan, losing one of the best players in the league (KD) to the best team in the league all those years ago with nothing in return was awful. Seeing your teem go from genuine contender to not good enough with no ability to improve is a so trash for a supproter.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency Part 10

Back