Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Jack Graham

Votes: 54 38.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right so if we want our NGA kid Tanner Armstrong, who is projected to go at pick 13 next year (yes I know there's a long way to go) we won't be able to match an opposing club's bid before our pick? Just wondering if this is how it'll work.

Agree though this year it is huge for us.
Nah we will be able to match, so it's a good change for us in theory.

Essendon are the biggest winners here I think.

Under the rules when Jamarra Ugle-Hagan was drafted, if a player in your NGA was bid on anywhere in the draft, you could match it and get them. But Ugle-Hagan being basically a freebie to the Bulldogs was seen as a complete and utter rort, given how good he was, so the AFL changed the rules so if an NGA player was good enough to get drafted in the top 20 (or maybe 40?), then you could not match that bid, you miss out.

But now they are changing it back to the rules for when Ugle-Hagan was drafted, you can just match a bid anywhere. As to why, no one knows, it is kinda crazy, they changed it because of players like Ugle-Hagan and are now just changing it back again without any real reason.

Isaac Kako is a top 5-15 draft range talent, small forward, Essendon NGA. If the rules stayed as they were and a team tried to draft him early, Essendon would just miss out, OR if he was still available they would likely have to draft him at their own first draft pick if they really wanted him. But now, even if someone wants him at pick 1 (obviously not gonna happen but just for example), Essendon still get the opportunity to match. Very fortuitous timing for them, smells fishy if you ask me (Brad Scott being a former high up member of the AFL after all...).

I would say Rioli, Bolton, Graham and Baker all have a pretty similar feeling towards Yze’s strategic direction…
How do you figure?

I think this is nothing to do with Yze, it's likely a list management discussion and, realistically, we can set ourselves up hugely by moving these players on now whilst their currency is high and whilst we're so far off contending. It's win-win because the players get to move to a place they'd like to be, and to teams in contention whilst they themselves are in their footballing prime (well unless Baker/Bolton choose West Coast over Fremantle, but you'd assume they'd choose the latter), and we get a super draft hand to speed up our rebuild or maybe pry some young stars away (ahem Harley Reid anyone).

Right so if we want our NGA kid Tanner Armstrong, who is projected to go at pick 13 next year (yes I know there's a long way to go) we won't be able to match an opposing club's bid before our pick? Just wondering if this is how it'll work.

Agree though this year it is huge for us.

No. You can match them at any pick. Just a smaller discount and less picks available for use to match with. Instead of going to 73 it goes to 54.

I would say Rioli, Bolton, Graham and Baker all have a pretty similar feeling towards Yze’s strategic direction…

Nah, reckon Rioli wants out because he has been through the shit years and wants to finish with a chance of more success. (Dimma would be a big pull factor for Dan)

Baker & Bolton are from WA so figure they might be better off going now than sticking around.

Graham knows his time is up and wants security of a pay check for a few more years.

Nah we will be able to match, so it's a good change for us in theory.

Essendon are the biggest winners here I think.

Under the rules when Jamarra Ugle-Hagan was drafted, if a player in your NGA was bid on anywhere in the draft, you could match it and get them. But Ugle-Hagan being basically a freebie to the Bulldogs was seen as a complete and utter rort, given how good he was, so the AFL changed the rules so if an NGA player was good enough to get drafted in the top 20 (or maybe 40?), then you could not match that bid, you miss out.

But now they are changing it back to the rules for when Ugle-Hagan was drafted, you can just match a bid anywhere. As to why, no one knows, it is kinda crazy, they changed it because of players like Ugle-Hagan and are now just changing it back again without any real reason.

Isaac Kako is a top 5-15 draft range talent, small forward, Essendon NGA. If the rules stayed as they were and a team tried to draft him early, Essendon would just miss out, OR if he was still available they would likely have to draft him at their own first draft pick if they really wanted him. But now, even if someone wants him at pick 1 (obviously not gonna happen but just for example), Essendon still get the opportunity to match. Very fortuitous timing for them, smells fishy if you ask me (Brad Scott being a former high up member of the AFL after all...).
They’re changing it back because the restriction meant there was little value in the clubs continuing to fund or put any effort into their NGA academies

And the AFL desperately needs the clubs to do that because otherwise they’d need to fund that themselves or see the game quickly become the domain of predominately private school educated city kids

Nah, reckon Rioli wants out because he has been through the shit years and wants to finish with a chance of more success. (Dimma would be a big pull factor for Dan)

Baker & Bolton are from WA so figure they might be better off going now than sticking around.

Graham knows his time is up and wants security of a pay check for a few more years.
He’s just got engaged as well

His Mrs is an influencer/DJ she’s originally from Sydney but moved to Melbourne the last 12 months or so but still flys up north a fair bit for work

Living on the Gold Coast would make a lot of sense work wise for her so probably a pretty big factor

Why did they not want or need family support when they had there first baby
It may have taken the experience of the first to help them realise? I can’t in all honesty suggest they didn’t need family support during the first? I’m just guessing tbh…

For those wanting to trade into the 2025 Draft need to be aware that 2025 is the most compromised draft with father sons and academy selections on record.
So what.
Your still getting the 10th best player that's available too you at pick 20.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes that’s right and therefore our pick one could be pick 11 which may be B grade talent in a shallow draft
Rubbish.
The 9 ahead are all talented academy or f/s all tied too a number of sides.
We have pick 1 and bid on everyone and eventually we take Hayley Reid at pick 11.
It's an extreme example but the point is we're still getting the best kid available too us.

Rubbish.
The 9 ahead are all talented academy or f/s all tied too a number of sides.
We have pick 1 and bid on everyone and eventually we take Hayley Reid at pick 11.
It's an extreme example but the point is we're still getting the best kid available too us.
Agree we are getting the best pick available to us but not the no one draft pick

For those wanting to trade into the 2025 Draft need to be aware that 2025 is the most compromised draft with father sons and academy selections on record.
Plenty of very good non academy guys.

Sharp, Ludowyke, Greeves, Onley, Duursma, Kelly, Rodriguez, Dalton, Hibbins Hargraves and Dalton just to name a few from top of my head

If I was yze I wouldn’t be playing these players that want out what happens if one of them did an acl or long term injury then we get nothing

I imagine if we lose to North on the weekend we might put a few in ice for the last 3 games of the year (providing we have enough healthy kids to come into the side).

I've been all about trading players out to supercharge the rebuild, including Shai Bolton, but with confirmation that the draft points aren't changing until 2025, I have changed my tune a bit, cause now we can almost certainly bundle later picks for more 1st rounders...

Bolton is a star and he MIGHT still be around next time we challenge, and he is set to really break out in the next 2-4 seasons (if indeed he does breakout).

I'd keep Bolton and let Rioli, Baker, Graham go for the best picks we can get, bundle the later picks, and go into the draft with Pick 1 or 2, plus a couple of others in the top 10-15, and that should be enough.

But if Bolton really is keen to go back to WA as some say, then ah well, we can get a great deal so it'll be fine.

What's the chance each of the players speculated to leave, are actually traded?

My guess is -

Baker 90% (Wants to go, can't stop him, WA clubs desperate for him)
Dusty 10% (1 game extension or retires)
Rioli 40% ( See Bolton below)
Graham 60% (Coach wants him out but hasn't enough value to warrant just giving him away)
Bolton 30% (Has a long contract and we will only let him go for a price other teams would not be willing to pay)

What do you think?
We know there are huge changes coming both in terms if players and coaches. My guess would be:-

Baker - 80%
Dusty - 30%
Graham - 99.9%
Rioli - 60%
Bolton - 60%

I also reckon:-
Broad 70%
Lynch 50%
Clarke 90%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad