Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Jack Graham

Votes: 54 38.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I’m confused are the changes to free agency compensation for this year or next?

This year.

Source: https://www.afl.com.au/news/1185295...future-pick-trades-on-hold-nga-rule-to-change

For 2024, the main changes will be:

• Clubs having access from pick No.1 onwards for NGA prospects in a return to previous rules to align with northern Academy and the father-son bidding system. The AFL has prioritised this change, revealed by AFL.com.au last month, because it does not want to further see a decline in diverse and Indigenous talent.
  • The AFL will also continue to run its review on changing the NGA zones ahead of Tasmania's entrance into the game and the required eligibility and sign-up process for NGA draftees.
  • Free agency compensation picks will from now take into account contract length as a determining factor, however contracts less than two years, or more than five, will not be given any weight. The League will be more transparent with its free agency compensation formula using the year lengths of deals.
  • Clubs will be able to retain rookies for up to a maximum of five years, up from the current three years. This is to help give clubs more time to develop key position and taller talents as well as players from different backgrounds. Stipulations will mean the player cannot have played more than 10 games at the end of his fourth or fifth season to retain rookie status.
  • More flexibility in the drafting of father-son prospects as primary-listed players or rookie-listed players. Current rules mean clubs have to nominate before the national draft if a player will be a national or rookie father-son, with the tweak giving more scope to make decisions during the live draft.

I've been all about trading players out to supercharge the rebuild, including Shai Bolton, but with confirmation that the draft points aren't changing until 2025, I have changed my tune a bit, cause now we can almost certainly bundle later picks for more 1st rounders...

Bolton is a star and he MIGHT still be around next time we challenge, and he is set to really break out in the next 2-4 seasons (if indeed he does breakout).

I'd keep Bolton and let Rioli, Baker, Graham go for the best picks we can get, bundle the later picks, and go into the draft with Pick 1 or 2, plus a couple of others in the top 10-15, and that should be enough.

But if Bolton really is keen to go back to WA as some say, then ah well, we can get a great deal so it'll be fine.
Even if draft point system changed this year it wouldn’t really matter. Only affects picks 50+ in that u can’t use them towards academy/father son.
Can someone tell me why we’d bother playing graham now it’s pretty well certain , Dow should def be played ahead of him
no Dow should be delisted according to most peeps here

I’m currently at 10 players leaving.

Dylan Grimes- Retire
Dustin Martin- Retire
Sam Naismith- Retire

Thomson Dow- Delisted
Noah Cumberland- Delisted
Mate Colina- Delisted

Liam Baker- Trade to WA
Dan Rioli- Trade to GC
Shai Bolton- Trade to Freo

Jack Graham- Move to Eagles as a FA
Dow won’t get delisted. 1 more year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what.
Your still getting the 10th best player that's available too you at pick 20.
But the 10th best player available is still the 20th best player in the draft. It doesn't mean that the draft for that year is suddenly 10 good players deeper.

If you had 10th pick out of 20 ladies in a nightclub, and 10 of the ones you would've otherwise proposed to were married or spoken for, you're still getting the 20th best looking one there. i.e. the ugliest

So, the Baker deal "has been a done deal for more than 12 months now and the club knows this"...yet the Club made him Vice Captain in the off season. Despite knowing he was leaving. Also, clearly Baker has been torn all season about whether to stay or go. None of that gels with your statement.

Everyone needs to just settle the **** down.

Rumours flying everywhere being reported as fact.

This sort of rubbish is why social media is a cancer. People just write anything they want in a vain attempt to be first so they can say nah nah na nah nah I knew it first. Despite getting 95% of their guesses wrong. Primary school level bullshit.
Sorry since you know it all perhaps you can do some research and tell me when the so called rumours you claim, mine anyway have ever been wrong. The club has known he was going and accepted it it perhaps the V?C was a thank you for your services. I know people make up things in here but just some are really in the know. The only question on Baker is where he is going Freo better list but wiggles can offer a better package for him not necessarily for us.

It's interesting to look at the rebuilds of the other teams. While WC hasn't fully rebuilt, since their premiership they have had a pick 1, pick 9, two pick 14s, pick 23 and then 29. Lost a few picks for Tim Kelly. We would be looking at those picks in this one season. Though a generational pick 1 is hopefully next year's.

Hawthorn has had 5, 6, 7 , 18, 19 (since the 2019 draft) + beyond that

North since 2019, 1, 2 , 3 , 4 , 4, 8 (thomas)

Make.of that what you will!

I don't make the rules, that's how it is.
Is it really! That's actually ****ed.

So in theory two teams could agree to a 'loan' agreement where a young gun signs a (lucrative enough) one year contract, the original team gets a juicy compo pick because he's young, then the following year the original team signs the same player via free agency so both teams end up with a nice compo. Is that exploitable?

From a selfish point of view I’ve got a young fella that’s going to be old enough to start following the game properly in the next couple of years and if all these trades happen I need to quickly start thinking of strategies to keep him a Tiger because we’re going to suck hard
My kids are now 18 and 20. Started taking them to games from 6 years old. Just think about what they witnessed till 2017. ****en sack up bro. I saw my first flag at 6/7, saw us lose one aftwards, then had my **** stomped on for 37 years. I would change nothing.

Spot on only one i would be upset with is Rioli only one that tries his heart out for the jumper but if he wants to go so be it. Bolton I wouldn't lose sleep if we get proper compensation the rest, Baker has been done deal for more then 12 months now and club knows this.
Baker hasn’t been a done deal for more than 12 months. I would dispute that.

I’ve also heard Juddy Clarke is very unhappy at tigerland aswell.
Haven’t heard anything like that. And interesting given he’s out with a knee for another 9 months.

But the 10th best player available is still the 20th best player in the draft. It doesn't mean that the draft for that year is suddenly 10 good players deeper.

If you had 10th pick out of 20 ladies in a nightclub, and 10 of the ones you would've otherwise proposed to were married or spoken for, you're still getting the 20th best looking one there. i.e. the ugliest
Not necessarily. GC seem to be taking some heffas out of the pool 😆

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back