Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Jack Graham

Votes: 54 38.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Baker would be the best one to hold on to with his value being less being uncontracted.

I think I'd give up on the Yze regime if he brought in Oliver. What a desperate move. Another slowish inside mid lol

I can actually see some sense in this one. Providing they think his off-field issues are worth taking a punt on.

Say Graham leaves, Taranto moves to his role, for which he is ideally suited, and a much better back up inside mid than Graham. Hopper and Oliver the perfect types to pair with undersized developing gun breakaway speed mids that we are likely to pick up in this draft and possibly next draft.

Oliver's contract runs until 2030. He starts 2030 as a 32yo.

The thing is if we lose Dusty, Prestia's biggish contract, Lynch only one more year on big money, and Bolton goes, we are likely to be able to get a lot of Oliver's contract paid before our gun draftees start demanding big money. And if it goes wrong for off-field reasons then pay him out and see ya later. If he plays at a decent level then he will help us, no doubt.

Melbourne I am sure would be happy to get the problem off their hands for a late rd 1 pick or similar. We will no doubt have the right pick available. If they wanted more than that, keep your problem thanks very much.

This move might not be as outrageous as it first appears, despite the obvious risk of him messing up or never finding his best again.

So if Bolton, Rioli, Baker, Grimes, Graham and Martin all go, I'd guess that's about $5mill of cap space freed up next year :eek:

We're going to struggle to meet the 95% minimum cap spend. I reckon we'll pay a chunk of Riolis and Boltons contracts and receive higher picks off GC and Freo in return. We'd be silly not to.
I wouldn't mind cap spent on a KPF. Like Cadman.

Clubs do not hang on to players that insist on leaving any longer. It isn't good for club culture, player development, player value when eventually traded and relations with other clubs. We can't dig in our heels here and play 'old school'. It doesn't work.

If Bolton and Rioli want to leave then Bolton and Rioli will leave.

So, let get the most value out of the situation as we can. Paying part of their wage, because we'll have a huge salary cap to get better picks, is a great solution. None of them are structural players or even cultural leaders. They are bonus/'cherry on the cake' type players that make a good team even better. We need star mids and tall forwards. If if can get that through a trade for them, then I'm all for it.

There is a lot to play out yet and not all the players mentioned will go. Bolton, Rioli and Graham may stay and only Baker leaves but if they're desperate and we can get overs for them, I say go for it!

Think about this. If you lose Baker, Bolton and Rioli and now Dusty out of this current Richmond team, with the exception of Lynch, who is uncertain at best, there isn't a single matchwinner left on our list. Not one.

We will be looking at a potential generation in the doldrums with a bunch of good but completely vanilla players.

So who is going to step up in the big moments, take the game by the scruff of the neck and win a huge match.

Nobody.

As I keep saying, be careful what you wish for. I'd be holding on to the three B's for dear life because they are A grade talent in their mid 20s with the exception of Rioli who still has 3-5 good years in him. If they ask to go then fine, but I wouldn't be pushing them out the door for a bunch of untried kids.
so is Bolton our saver?? Haven't seen that, See a player who has given up.
Rioli hasn't given up either has Baker but if they want to go what choice do we have!!
Not really wishing for anything,
I think its more reality

Oliver for a pick in the 20's is worth the risk IMO. but not for a 1st rounder.

He is much more explosive from the contest than our 2 inside mids. If it did happen I would be telling TT to get used to playing forward 70/30
A pick in the 20’s?
In what world would Melbourne accept that?

A pick in the 20’s?
In what world would Melbourne accept that?
I am basing this on us taking over his massive salary and the Dees wanting him gone given reported fractured relationship.

He comes with a massive price tag and huge risk factor.

Don't think Oliver is the right move for us. Not because of anything about his on field or off field, but it will just take time away from a kid.
I truly hope that the club isn't misjudging the state of our list currently.

I'm sure they know better than me but it's pretty obvious and sometimes when you're too close to it, you can't see the forest for the trees.

I am basing this on us taking over his massive salary and the Dees wanting him gone given reported fractured relationship.

He comes with a massive price tag and huge risk factor.
Yeah but still no way he comes that cheap
I just can’t see that happening, hope you’re right tho

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't think Oliver is the right move for us. Not because of anything about his on field or off field, but it will just take time away from a kid.
I truly hope that the club isn't misjudging the state of our list currently.

I'm sure they know better than me but it's pretty obvious and sometimes when you're too close to it, you can't see the forest for the trees.

I can see the case for Oliver to improve our midfield and thus the team, and to provide cover for the kids we draft. If it's fro a nothing pick (25+) and we take his salary then OK, good value.

But more broadly is he good for a club where we are likely to be at?

Is he a good mentor and leader?
Do we need more midfield grunt right now?

Not sure on these questions.
He might be brilliant and make the team work better and all ow us to develop a new young midfield of awesomeness. Or he might get in the way and distract the development of our new dynasty team.

Can someone please copy and paste? Broad too? :think:

Richmond could have as many as six first-round draft picks as part of a blockbuster draft haul if it approves moves for some of its in-demand premiership stars this year.
The Tigers already have picks one, 19 and 31 and will also weigh up deals which could net them picks six, eight, 13, 16 and 20 in a draft recruiters are lauding for its quality and depth.

Privately, rival clubs believe Richmond is setting itself to fast track its rebuild with bumper hands this year and next year in the hope of emulating prized hauls from Hawthorn (2004), Geelong (1999 and 2001) and Port Adelaide (2018).

But the Tigers could also hold Daniel Rioli and Shai Bolton to their contracts for at least one more year to stagger some of their departures with hard nuts Jack Graham and Liam Baker (both 26) likely to leave at season’s end.

Gold Coast and Fremantle have five first-round picks between them this year and would both have to pay overs to claim Rioli, 27, and Bolton, 25, as both premiership stars are in contract.

Gold Coast is heavily targeting Rioli to join forces with premiership coach Damien Hardwick, Fremantle is eyeing pair Bolton and Baker, while West Coast wants Graham.

North Melbourne has strong interest in gun defender Nathan Broad, 31, but the star backman has made clear his preference is to stay at Punt Rd to help the lead rebuild.

Broad will show enormous loyalty to Richmond’s cause if he continues to rebuff interest from the Roos who may be forced to turn to GWS interceptor Nick Haynes or Cat Jake Kolodjashnij.

They are monumental decisions for Richmond’s highly-respected list boss Blair Hartley who will be eager to rebuild the team through the draft over the next 16 months before the new Tasmanian team enters the AFL.

The potential deals mean Richmond could have picks one, six, eight, 13, 16, 19, 20 and 31 at a minimum if they go ahead with the deals.

The Tigers also want to swap their three third-round and three fourth-round picks for at least one more first-round pick after a series of moves in last year’s trade period to bolster their position.

Brisbane and Carlton are both in the market to swap their early picks with Richmond for later choices to secure the Lions’ and Blues’ father-son and academy jets.

But these key decisions are going to be likely left until the end of the season when Richmond’s leaders including senior coach Adem Yze holds exit meetings with the players.

Richmond denies it is dealing with an exodus and will instead be strategic with its list moves to set the club up for future premiership success.

Richmond is certain retired champion Dustin Martin does not want to pursue a final chapter at Gold Coast, so the Suns will instead chase Rioli as part of a long-term deal.

Hard nut Baker has the choice to land at West Coast and Fremantle and despite supporting the Eagles as a child could choose Fremantle due to its open premiership window.

But the Tigers are strongly considering digging in over the Bolton deal and keep the star playmaker to his contract due to his considerable upside and work they have already put into him off-field.

The Suns would be expected to part with pick six for Rioli to entice him north, while Fremantle could give 13 for Baker and eight and 16 as part of a deal for Bolton.

Fremantle would likely ask for something back if it is asked to part with two top-20 picks for Bolton after only a moderate season.

The Dockers have three first-round draft picks including Collingwood’s and Port Adelaide’s, while Gold Coast has two early choices including the Western Bulldogs’.

Baker is out of contract and is expected to be an easier negotiation than Rioli and Bolton.

West Coast has pick three and could swap that for two later first-round choices, giving one in the teens to Richmond for Baker.

Last edited:
Melbourne offering their first rounder (pick 7) for us to take on Oliver.

He is on 1m a year for the next 5 years until he is 32. No one should be touching him without being compensated given his form this season and more importantly issues off the ground.
Now that I would consider. With our salary cap we could pay his whole contract and tell him to EAD before he walks in the door :D

Can someone please copy and paste? Broad too? :think:

I think moving to WA was always the end game for Broad. Pretty sure he bought a new piece of land over there and is in the process of building a new home.

Literally not one mention of Broad. He's must keep, we will get donuts lol
In the updated version, they mentioned North have interest in Broad, but he has made it clear that he wants to remain at Richmond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back