• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
he's not our best player
he is a fine player when he wants to play and puts in
but not with a bottom team,who are years away from contending
he wants out - and the time is now - No Hold = trade !
So who is our best player?
I think he has the most trade value of anyone on our list. Balta second.
Bolton is a match winner, who’d be a game changer in any team challenging for a Premiership.
That’s why he is worth more than a couple of mid 1st rounders.

Bolton is a match winner, who’d be a game changer in any team challenging for a Premiership.
Rioli, Balta & Bolton probably our best 3. Rioli most consistent, Bolton highest ceiling, Balta most important.

Rioli, Balta & Bolton probably our best 3. Rioli most consistent, Bolton highest ceiling, Balta most important.
Agreed.
Our list has gone from multiple A graders a couple of years ago to probably those 3 ( Lynch when fit, Taranto maybe).
It’s why I think you need to be getting a pick that’ll give us access to one of the elite mids in this draft IF we trade Bolton.

I mean you could roll over and accept a couple of later r1 picks, but even in this very even draft there is still elite talent then it tapers off. And we are going to have a handful of very solid late r1 early r2 picks anyway.

Agreed.
Our list has gone from multiple A graders a couple of years ago to probably those 3 ( Lynch when fit, Taranto maybe).
It’s why I think you need to be getting a pick that’ll give us access to one of the elite mids in this draft IF we trade Bolton.

I mean you could roll over and accept a couple of later r1 picks, but even in this very even draft there is still elite talent then it tapers off. And we are going to have a handful of very solid late r1 early r2 picks anyway.
WC probably best bet if they want multiple picks. Pies late wins have made this trade a lot more difficult than it was looking.

Rioli, Lynch and Balta are the best players
Taranto is more important and has leadership qualities

Who thinks we should go full Norf?

Prefer to go full Hawthorn.

Love Sam Mitchell met with Ange to discuss how to rebuilt a squad. He’s a very smart operator is Mitchell.

Why would we blow up this year? It’s because this years draft is stocked with elite talent deep into the second round. Means percentage wise, there’s more chance you don’t miss with any early selections. If this wasn’t this draft and was a weaker type of draft, I wouldn’t be advocating for us to go full blown blow up. But it is a draft where we should rebuild our top end talent. Then next year another very early pick and maybe one more inside 20 to cap it off.

This isn’t just blindly saying we should just blow it up, I’ve maintained the stars have aligned for us. Whilst most were crying there wasn’t a Harley Reid, I was saying this is a better situation for our needs.

Who thinks we should go full Norf?
if by that you mean, taking a big slice out of the list
and move on - baker-bolton-rioli-graham-short-macca-grimes
and replacing with new kids through the draft
yep i'm all in
will it work out for us? i don't know
but i am willing to go down that road and try... yes

Anyone who doesn’t think Bolton is our best player has rocks in their head

I was bang against trading him but the reality is if he wants to leave he’ll eventually go (see Tim Kelly) and perhaps in this case when both WA teams have reasonable currency we should let it happen rather than wait and then get stuck with receiving less

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if by that you mean, taking a big slice out of the list
and move on - baker-bolton-rioli-graham-short-macca-grimes
and replacing with new kids through the draft
yep i'm all in
will it work out for us? i don't know
but i am willing to go down that road and try... yes
Thanks, appreciate the detailed response. List needs a massive chop but a rebuild with kids? Even with Clarko, their handout picks and North mafia in the media pumping their tyres continually, they're well adrift of the pack however many years running. I reckon we're better off getting a handful of kids in through the draft and using the trades to get some fairly experienced hardworking guys in for midfield and key positions.

Though having seen what our experienced mids have done recently that might be a bad idea I dunno

Thanks, appreciate the detailed response. List needs a massive chop but a rebuild with kids? Even with Clarko, their handout picks and North mafia in the media pumping their tyres continually, they're well adrift of the pack however many years running. I reckon we're better off getting a handful of kids in through the draft and using the trades to get some fairly experienced hardworking guys in for midfield and key positions.

Though having seen what our experienced mids have done recently that might be a bad idea I dunno
North's handouts they've been forced to trade and the only players they've been able to lure are really C graders or worse.

Other than that they've been rebuilding mostly with their natural picks. If we go in with pick 1 & 21 and try rebuild that way it will take an eternity. Would like to think being a big club if we were forced to use some gifted picks in a trade we could entice better players & also be enticing for FA's in a couple of years.

You'd also hope we don't cop a draft like they did in 2020 & lose our #1 pick after 1 season. Those 2 drafts have been an absolute disaster for them.

Hi guys long time reader first time poster if we don’t make these trades where do people see us in 5 years?
See North.

Pick 1 & 20 for 5 years except 2027 when Tassie will take the best kids.

Yea yea yea , but we know how flipping desperate the campaigners are ,,,play the long game and draw blood from the stone ,,,they’d do it , look at their history on trades for uncontracted players , o meara and prestia
Our blokes contracted and about to win a bf , pretty good resume by comparison , 2 picks or they can gf ,,,,,I know dimma , he’d bark down the phone to his comrades ,,,,get it doneeeeeeeee
They may be desperate and have made some strange trades in the past, but it doesn't mean they will continue to do so.

People are getting themselves worked up into a frenzy, thinking we're going to break trade records by getting all these picks, when IMO it simply won't work like that.

Dont get me wrong for the 4 players that are rumoured to want out, I'd be asking for:
Graham end of R1 compo

Baker pick 3 from WCE or pick 8 from Fremantle

Bolton pick 3 and R1 2025 from WCE or all 3 Dockers R1 picks

Rioli picks 5 & 12 from Suns

But my expectations are we will get:

A band 3 compo pick for Graham.

Either a mid R1 pick for Baker or 2 x R2 picks depending on the club he picks

2 x R1 picks for Bolton (Pies & Dockers)

Top 10 pick for Rioli(hopefully top 5)

If we get more than I expect fantastic but if we end up with that type of return for players who want out then thanks for your service and being part of the era and good luck in your future endeavours.

I have said all season if players don't want to commit to the future now that things look tough then they can go, get what we can in return and put all our support behind those that are willing to do the hard yards to achieve success again.

Anyone who doesn’t think Bolton is our best player has rocks in their head

I was bang against trading him but the reality is if he wants to leave he’ll eventually go (see Tim Kelly) and perhaps in this case when both WA teams have reasonable currency we should let it happen rather than wait and then get stuck with receiving less
I judge it on match winning ability and trade value, he’s by far our greatest asset.
No one on our list can influence a game like he can.
Opposition sides know that, so Shai cops the best defender/tagger most weeks.

North's handouts they've been forced to trade and the only players they've been able to lure are really C graders or worse.

Other than that they've been rebuilding mostly with their natural picks. If we go in with pick 1 & 21 and try rebuild that way it will take an eternity. Would like to think being a big club if we were forced to use some gifted picks in a trade we could entice better players & also be enticing for FA's in a couple of years.

You'd also hope we don't cop a draft like they did in 2020 & lose our #1 pick after 1 season. Those 2 drafts have been an absolute disaster for them.
They’ve made a mess of it, trading and drafting. They’ve never been able to attract an A grade established player so have paid overs for mediocre talent.

Hi guys long time reader first time poster if we don’t make these trades where do people see us in 5 years?
Rock bottom with no trade/draft capital and facing possibly a decade or more trying to become relevant.

Any player with trade value should be considered collateral for building a list. NOW or never.

In a way we are lucky, we’ve bottomed out, with full access to 3 drafts before Tassie take all the decent talent.
I think we’ll still attract FA’s as we are a big club, playing on the G.
Over to Blair and Toce now, but I think we’ll be ok

Feels like all the stars are aligning in a way where the universe is encouraging us to trade out all three of Bolton, Rioli and Baker.

Bolton - If Freo miss finals, they are going to be desperate to add Bolton as he is probably the cream they need on top of an already well balanced team. We should be able to leverage that to get the best possible deal. As they are likely to have pick 9 and 10 (9 being the pick they got from Collingwood for Schultz) we would be asking for both those as a starting point.
Rioli - Gold Coast's tumble down the ladder has resulted in their first pick now being pick 5. We could also be within our rights to request the first rounder they got from the Dogs last year, currently pick 13 which I personally think is overs. However, if we can sweeten the deal by paying some of his salary or assisting with back end picks for any of their academy selections for next year, we should.
Baker - it's widely rumoured that West Coast are keen for him. As Barrass is odds on to go to Hawthorn for their first round pick (currently 12), we would likely ask for that in return for Baker. If it's Freo, we can ask for their pick 17 tied to Port. As I see Hawthorn potentially going deep in finals, either result would likely end up similar.

We end up with picks 1, 5, 9, 10, 12/17 and 13 without much effort at all. Plus it's before any actual trading of picks to clubs that need points for father-son and/or academy selections.

This is a unique position where we have all the leverage...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back