Pick 14
Pick 15
Pick 21
Pick 22
Pick 27
Pick 32
Excellent draft haul
Fmd wed basically be degrassi junior high

Don't get me excited! If Miller was traded I'd drive him to the airport and pay his one way flight to ensure he never comes back.
I’ll carry his luggage. Useless.

I think Elijah is pushing this move, from what I hear, not a fan of Brad, Essendon and is a massive Tiger fan. We have expressed interest.

I would hope we aren’t giving a first round pick but he can certainly find it and is a lot more dynamic than what we have.

Not saying I’m in for him, but I can see the appeal.
I can't. Worst. kick. in. the. league.

He is 28 at the start of the season, he is 27 while playing for us.

You also say he has 5 years left like its a fact, do I need to remind you of the great Dusty that apparently had years left in him playing forward and how quickly the end came, or Jack R, who didnt rely on pace.

Rioli relies on pace and its the first thing to go. Expecting 5 years of good footy has significant risk, it isnt a given.

I remember the outcry over paying pick 6 for a much younger A grade mid and you guys expect much much more for Rioli, good grief this is getting uncomfortable.

Prepare to be disappointed peeps.
Morro, he turns 28 on April 16. This year that would've been Round 6. So he's not 28 the start of the season.

He'll be 31 when he's starting his 5th season with his new club. That's hardly an unreasonable age to be still playing really good footy in this day and age. In fact, it's probably more likely than not.

Why are you so intent on devaluing him? I mean, I can see why you're trying to offset the chance of disappointment with the trade, that's reasonable, people do that all the time. But there's a pretty decent chance here that we can cash in on the desperation of his destination club (never thought I'd ever use those last two words to describe the Suns 🤣)

Read the earlier posts clearly explaining why Gold Coast Suns need to pay premium draft currency for Rioli. I'll include one of mine below.

From August 3rd

Even overlooking the fact that they have historically devalued top end draft picks by giving up their own Pick #7 to offload Bowes, or parting with their Pick #2 for Weller, or any number of other trade mindbogglers over the years, there are a host of other rationales for them paying "overs" for someone like Dan Rioli.

We need to look at the trade through the Suns lens. This is a team absolutely desperate for finals action, and desperate to make the play for Dimma be and appear worthwhile. If this Dimma experiment flops for them, it's difficult to see them making serious ground on the Lions or in Queensland at all for the next decade.

Now has to be their time. Ultimately all of these "toys" are going to demand an increase in their salary for their second (or third) contract that will stretch their coffers even further, and suddenly another series of exits will happen - Tassie for one will be throwing the cheque book around big time in 2026 and onwards, let alone Collingwood and Richmond with massive war chests due to legends retiring and growing discontent in their respective massive fanbases.

ATEOTD, Dan Rioli is contracted, is AA quality, has four or five strong years of footy left in him (far longer than their patience with Dimma if they haven't franked their draft outlay by then), is incredibly durable, and has that extra special x-factor in that he's indigenous ... and better still, viewed as an indigenous leader.

The importance of this last point should never be underestimated in a footy club, especially a northern Australian club who've traditionally struggled to get the best out of (and hang onto) their indigenous lads - Jeffrey, Lemmens, Rosas, Rankine, Nicholls, JMartin, Sumner, Patrick, Garlett, Hall, Bennell, Wilkinson, and probably quite a few more I can't think of atm, have all under-achieved or gone wayward at the Suns. Harbrow was a wonderful leader, but he was no Rioli. That name alone carries serious currency.

The Suns MUST pay overs. If it was the Bulldogs or Essendon, at best we could ask for is probably a Pick #8-12, because that's how things work down here. But the reality is the trading climate differs significantly when the Suns are involved, especially in their current predicament. And if Richmond were to chip in a significant proportion of Dan's salary at the Suns, which is entirely feasible and reasonable given our imminent exits, then this augurs for an even better deal for us.

A draft pick 6-8 AND another pick 12-15 should be the absolute minimum for our starting point. And if someone weighs in here and says "no way he's worth that" then I'd probably agree with them.

But that's not the point - all of these factors listed above lean towards us demanding that.

The Gold Coast Suns are at risk of being in the shadow of big brother Brisbane Lions for another decade unless they improve their results dramatically and quickly. Dimma doesn't have 4-5 years out of real top end contention to play with like he did at Tigerland.

And I love Rioli but he aint Jezza Cameron

I also know GC want him and he will help them, but he aint the missing piece
No he's not Jeremy Cameron. Different sort of player and role entirely.

But he's no more likely to get injured than Cameron was when he was traded in at 27. Yet you seem a bit caught up with Daniel's lack of durability, as if the chances of him getting a career-ending injury should lower his trade value any more than another 27 year old?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Morro, he turns 28 on April 16. This year that would've been Round 6. So he's not 28 the start of the season.

He'll be 31 when he's starting his 5th season with his new club. That's hardly an unreasonable age to be still playing really good footy in this day and age. In fact, it's probably more likely than not.

Why are you so intent on devaluing him? I mean, I can see why you're trying to offset the chance of disappointment with the trade, that's reasonable, people do that all the time. But there's a pretty decent chance here that we can cash in on the desperation of his destination club (never thought I'd ever use those last two words to describe the Suns 🤣)

Read the earlier posts clearly explaining why Gold Coast Suns need to pay premium draft currency for Rioli. I'll include one of mine below.

From August 3rd

Even overlooking the fact that they have historically devalued top end draft picks by giving up their own Pick #7 to offload Bowes, or parting with their Pick #2 for Weller, or any number of other trade mindbogglers over the years, there are a host of other rationales for them paying "overs" for someone like Dan Rioli.

We need to look at the trade through the Suns lens. This is a team absolutely desperate for finals action, and desperate to make the play for Dimma be and appear worthwhile. If this Dimma experiment flops for them, it's difficult to see them making serious ground on the Lions or in Queensland at all for the next decade.

Now has to be their time. Ultimately all of these "toys" are going to demand an increase in their salary for their second (or third) contract that will stretch their coffers even further, and suddenly another series of exits will happen - Tassie for one will be throwing the cheque book around big time in 2026 and onwards, let alone Collingwood and Richmond with massive war chests due to legends retiring and growing discontent in their respective massive fanbases.

ATEOTD, Dan Rioli is contracted, is AA quality, has four or five strong years of footy left in him (far longer than their patience with Dimma if they haven't franked their draft outlay by then), is incredibly durable, and has that extra special x-factor in that he's indigenous ... and better still, viewed as an indigenous leader.

The importance of this last point should never be underestimated in a footy club, especially a northern Australian club who've traditionally struggled to get the best out of (and hang onto) their indigenous lads - Jeffrey, Lemmens, Rosas, Rankine, Nicholls, JMartin, Sumner, Patrick, Garlett, Hall, Bennell, Wilkinson, and probably quite a few more I can't think of atm, have all under-achieved or gone wayward at the Suns. Harbrow was a wonderful leader, but he was no Rioli. That name alone carries serious currency.

The Suns MUST pay overs. If it was the Bulldogs or Essendon, at best we could ask for is probably a Pick #8-12, because that's how things work down here. But the reality is the trading climate differs significantly when the Suns are involved, especially in their current predicament. And if Richmond were to chip in a significant proportion of Dan's salary at the Suns, which is entirely feasible and reasonable given our imminent exits, then this augurs for an even better deal for us.

A draft pick 6-8 AND another pick 12-15 should be the absolute minimum for our starting point. And if someone weighs in here and says "no way he's worth that" then I'd probably agree with them.

But that's not the point - all of these factors listed above lean towards us demanding that.

The Gold Coast Suns are at risk of being in the shadow of big brother Brisbane Lions for another decade unless they improve their results dramatically and quickly. Dimma doesn't have 4-5 years out of real top end contention to play with like he did at Tigerland.

No he's not Jeremy Cameron. Different sort of player and role entirely.

But he's no more likely to get injured than Cameron was when he was traded in at 27. Yet you seem a bit caught up with Daniel's lack of durability, as if the chances of him getting a career-ending injury should lower his trade value any more than another 27 year old?

We got Prestia and pick-24 off GC at 24yo for #6 and a F2 (ended up being 36 as we won flag), but expectations would’ve been an early 20’s pick back. So he was ‘valued’ at #6. He was taken at #9 so a highly rated draftee with just under 100-games played when he came to Tigers.

Adam Saad is the most recent comparable player to Rioli. Saad is an AA quality player (he made the team in 2022). He was comparably 15-months younger at trade time. He went for pick-8 which was slightly softened by Blues getting back pick-48. So he was valued a bit under pick-8.

Jordan Dawson finished 3rd in Sydney’s B&F in 2021 playing half back. He was comparably 3-years younger than Rioli when traded. He was traded for a F1 tied to the Premiers, Melbourne - so expectations of an early teens pick at best. He is also an AA quality player (he made the team in 2023).

I accept these guys were uncontracted, and it certainly does add some value to the Rioli situation and puts us in the drivers seat. I also think we should drive the hardest bargain we possibly can, hoping GC cough up massive overs.

But people bringing up Weller and Bowes is not relevant at all. Bowes was a necessary salary dump to clean up their salary cap and retain other players, whilst Weller was a desperate club doing whatever was required to trade for a player who wanted to join them when everyone else wanted to leave… it was 7-years ago.

So just because GC have done silly trading in the past doesn’t mean they’ll do it forever. Imagine how our trading ‘skills’ from yesteryear looks.

So in a year of what is touted as a very strong draft, the history of trading tells you pick-5 is pretty huge overs for D Rioli based on what similar quality players (Saad and Dawson) who were a decent chunk younger got traded for.

If we are offered pick-5 we should take it and run, no questions asked.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

But people bringing up Weller and Bowes is not relevant at all. Bowes was a necessary salary dump to clean up their salary cap and retain other players, whilst Weller was a desperate club doing whatever was required to trade for a player who wanted to join them when everyone else wanted to leave… it was 7-years ago.

So just because GC have done silly trading in the past doesn’t mean they’ll do it forever. Imagine how our trading ‘skills’ from yesteryear looks.

So in a year of what is touted as a very strong draft, the history of trading tells you pick-5 is pretty huge overs for D Rioli based on what similar quality players (Saad and Dawson) who were a decent chunk younger got traded for.

If we are offered pick-5 we should take it and run, no questions asked.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Well if we pay say $300k x 4 years of Rioli contract then that value then becomes a pick #7 similar to the Bowes deal so it is relevant and we all know the GC suns are tight with cap space

I highly doubt GC will have #5 end of the season

GC v Richmond
Carlton v St Kilda

Battle compo there pick will be #8 when taken

#8 & #16/18 is overs for Rioli but if we contribute $200k a year it balances it out
St Kilda will beat Carltoon.

im getting sick of this campaigners tweets
Why? He works in the industry and has already been proven correct with Hobbs exploring options before media went with it.

You and others may not like the player type being mentioned, but let’s not pot the person actually giving us the info.

He is just the messenger. Tigerbob has also confirmed his mail too.

Why? He works in the industry and has already been proven correct with Hobbs exploring options before media went with it.

You and others may not like the player type being mentioned, but let’s not pot the person actually giving us the info.

He is just the messenger. Tigerbob has also confirmed his mail too.
What does he mean when he says off favour ??

I really hope we dont get tsatas or what ever his name is

I just got used to spelling Vlastuin & Lefau dont think i can post in that thread and constantly cop paste a bloody name again
It's 5 letters, campaigner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back