List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
2nd rnd this year and f1 would be their thinking.

I would probably pay that for Lukosius. His kicking is the damage and he can run. He would probably complement the likes of Lynch, Balta, Koschitzke, Lefau on our forward line, all bullocking players. Can also potentially play other roles, defence or wing. He is a great age for a recruit, will be fully mature but as young as you can be to be fully mature. He is a quality player, just not a classic key position player.

But I doubt you would get him for what will probably amount to about pick 10 and pick 25 in expected value. And he would be seeking a hefty contract as well.

I wouldn’t take him for a pick under 30-40. Can’t take a contested mark and not exactly a pack crasher either. Great kick and that’s about it imo.
Yeah especially if it’s to play as a 2nd or 3rs forward
Better off just persisting with Lefau and Kozi and saving the currency for the draft or the type of key forward that fits our specific needs

I wouldn’t take him for a pick under 30-40. Can’t take a contested mark and not exactly a pack crasher either. Great kick and that’s about it imo.

I would pay a pick in the 20's without flinching, but I would be playing him on the wing or half back as a distributor.

Isaac Cumming is a UFA. He'd be perfect to take over from Pickett/McIntosh on a wing. Pace, great disposal and a good mark. Even if we had to cough up a pick and trade for him depending on what Dusty and Graham do, who cares. He'd be an excellent pickup.

I don’t think we have, I know we poached Clarke from you guys but surely he knows there is no way we have the draft currency to afford him under contract? He’d be a game changer at Freo and a few other clubs as well. As good as he is, he isn’t going to be the difference between top and bottom 8 for us. Mentioned it here before but what you guys do with your bounty of picks (other than get as high as possible) and your stars with currency will be fascinating as there’s no clear right answer.
IMO we can't afford to be trading our better players out, that's going down the Hawks path & we need to avoid that at all costs. No point in us even consider trading Shai, to be worth it we'd have to draft a kid of his quality & that'd be like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

I can definitely see the need for some outside class with you guys. Hell, we need it ourselves atm, hoping that players like Clarke and Banks can provide it once given more exposure to AFL footy.

The common consensus is a midfielder and KPF. Jagga Smith and Tom Gross both trained with us during pre-season this year, so can easily see us picking either of them based on that, but like you've alluded to yourself with the potential to be the best kid in the draft, it's hard to pass up on someone like Josh Smillie if you have the option (insert obligatory comparison to the Bont or Cripps here because of their height). Not sure a clear KPF has shown themselves to the draft yet, although Jack Whitlock seems to have had a good start to the season.

Yeah, I also don't see either WA teams having the resources (both in terms of picks or player trades) that will be enough for us to budge on Shai. Clarke was less involved with trading from memory, and was more associated with the draft, but it's a safe bet to assume that Clarke would have an understanding of what would be needed to even begin a convo in this regard.

I'm probably in the minority in thinking that we don't need to go into a full rebuild, and that as long as we cover gaping list needs such as a high quality KPF, then the rise back up the ladder might be quicker than some might expect (both internal fans, and outside noise).
I agree with the last paragraph, unlike most rebuilding sides, we already have a crop of kids on the list before hitting the bottom (thx to investing in the Draft while on top), we just need to add to that crop & give them exposure this yr, which due to injuries more of them are playing at once than we'd planned, but we'll see that pay off in the long run. Hence my above post about being against trading our better players out. We'll be able to improve our hand with our junk picks thx to the Draft rorting system certain Clubs get to take advantage of each yr. This yr we can get something out of that for ourselves.

If they got a high pick why would they not trade it as currency for what they do want?? Can you trade a pick you get from a trade losing a player or do you need to incorporate it in a 3/4way trade with multiple clubs?

Looking at who they have with a dramatic transformation and Dimma seemingly changing how they do it to a degree, lot of academy talent still to come in they may not want a high draft pick but they can use it to trade for what they may want

Lukoscious for Graham and Short. Graham and Short could be excellent in a very good team and Lukoscious is surplus to needs at GC.

I’d do that trade in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WTF is this chat and constant mentioning of trading Short? This will categorically not happen.

Because he’s one of the few players we have with trade value that is getting on a bit in age and has currency…. I agree that due to his leadership and culture he won’t be going, but if footy was just ‘robots’ I think we’d trade him if we got a second round pick.

Short has been pretty average for most of the last couple of seasons, and he has been really poor in 2024.

IMO we can't afford to be trading our better players out, that's going down the Hawks path & we need to avoid that at all costs. No point in us even consider trading Shai, to be worth it we'd have to draft a kid of his quality & that'd be like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

Im not for trading Shai, but you don't necessarily need a kid of the same level to be worth it. The next few years, maybe longer are going to be tough, Shai's prime is going to be wasted. So if you get a kid or 2 who are slightly worse, but are in their prime when we are hopefully good again it can still be worth it.

But I wouldnt be trading him, we need something to watch over the next few seasons. Flanker players like Rioli and Baker would get good draft picks, we can more afford to lose them than Shai.

In 2019, when we were the best, the cats belted us by 70 when we were missing 7-8 players of our best 22.
walked out of the 'G post game that night being laughed at by a group of Cats fans who were carrying on like they'd won the flag. They laughed when i told them we'd meet again in sept. Hot damn did i enjoy that Prelim, what a night!

In 2019, when we were the best, the cats belted us by 70 when we were missing 7-8 players of our best 22.

That’s a great reminder of how teams perform missing 7-8 of your better players.

In the MIDDLE of our dynasty when at our absolute peak, when missing a heap of players we got spanked in consecutive weeks by Roos, Cats then Crows by a combined 137 points.

Yet people are surprised in 2024 we are not winning games despite missing 8-9 of our best 23… FMD.

When people bring up injuries as being no excuse this year, just remind them of R11-13 in 2019 and tell them to jog on.

Classic media, at least it is squashed quickly

EDIT: Cal twomey has deleted the tweet that said "Am reliably informed that Dan Rioli was in the gold coast only on holiday and hasn't met with the suns"

Last edited:
When you read suggestions to trade out the likes Lynch Bolton Baker Martin Short but then bring in the likes of Lukocious

Judge Judy No GIF by Agent M Loves Gifs
Lukosius is Griffens 2.0

I think the club understands that to win flags you need stars in key areas on the ground, inside mid, key defence, key forward.

If Dimma and the Suns want someone from Richmond they will know what they are getting with full confidence, so they will be prepared to cough up overs. A player like Rioli obviously already knows the Dimma game style back to front but also how to conduct himself etc.

He is a terrific player Rioli but if you can get a really high end pick for someone who isn't an inside mid or key position player, you are compelled to give it serious consideration.

They have their own first rounder, Bulldogs first, and North's end of first round compo pick, and if they trade out Lukosius to say Adelaide, there is another likely top 10 pick. They also own the rights to Ben King, who I would think we would have more than a casual interest in.

This is going to be very very interesting to watch what happens in our off season.

Isaac Cumming is a UFA. He'd be perfect to take over from Pickett/McIntosh on a wing. Pace, great disposal and a good mark. Even if we had to cough up a pick and trade for him depending on what Dusty and Graham do, who cares. He'd be an excellent pickup.
Why would there need to be a trade if he's a UFA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back