List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not for trading Shai, but you don't necessarily need a kid of the same level to be worth it. The next few years, maybe longer are going to be tough, Shai's prime is going to be wasted. So if you get a kid or 2 who are slightly worse, but are in their prime when we are hopefully good again it can still be worth it.

But I wouldnt be trading him, we need something to watch over the next few seasons. Flanker players like Rioli and Baker would get good draft picks, we can more afford to lose them than Shai.
No need to widen the gap between us & the best teams.

Trade Short, Baker & Lynch? All 3 are Vice Captains....

lol pretty sure it would've been for a holiday during the bye week, but suns do have 3 picks inside 20. Rioli did look like he'd been caught with his pants down though

If they threw jack luk plus a top 20 pic for a contracted triple premiership defender that was in AA squad last year ,,,I’d certainly think about it
And if some fw claims luk who has t kicked more than 25g in a season is worth more than rioli ,,,,ban yourselves

Well if Graham and/or Dusty leaves as free agents it'd affect our compensation.
I'd reckon a Draftee would have more upside than Cumming, we already have decent half backs atm. K.Smith will get gametime at some stage this yr so if he comes on we don't need to get him anyway.

If they threw jack luk plus a top 20 pic for a contracted triple premiership defender that was in AA squad last year ,,,I’d certainly think about it
And if some fw claims luk who has t kicked more than 25g in a season is worth more than rioli ,,,,ban yourselves
That stat alone says it all about Griffens 2.0.

Dan Rioli to the Suns !!!

I would ask for their first 3 draft picks and not budge
#4 , #10 & #20!

And they are the club stupid enough to pay it.

They won't have pick 4.

The picks they have belong to Suns, Dogs, and the end of Rd 1 compo pick. Right now sitting at 8, 11, 20. But even if those clubs finish in their current positions, likely to get shunted back to something like 10, 14, 25.

YOUNG TIGER EYES TRIGGER

RICHMOND rookie Seth Campbell will trigger a contract extension after the Tigers' early-season bye.

The 19-year-old was limited to just five VFL games in his first season at Punt Road due to injury and only secured an extension in September.

But after a strong pre-season, new Richmond coach Adem Yze rewarded him with a debut and has played the Tasmanian across the first six games of the 2024 season.

Campbell kicked two games against Gold Coast in Opening Round and has shown he can handle the intensity at AFL level since then, rewarding the club’s faith in him last year.

Richmond is expected to rework an extension in the coming weeks for Campbell and reward the small forward with a two-year deal.

Tigers GMs Blair Hartley and Tim Livingstone have a number of list management decisions to make this year on a wide range of premiership players.

Dustin Martin, Dion Prestia, Dylan Grimes, Toby Nankervis, Kamdyn McIntosh and Jack Graham are all out of contract.

Unlike the names above, Liam Baker is not a free agent but is out of contract and is weighing up his future.

While those decisions will take time, Campbell's early-season rise has taken care of one piece of list management for Richmond. – Josh Gabelich

BIDDING CHANGES COULD ARRIVE IN 2024

THE AFL hasn't ruled out making changes to its Academy and father-son bidding system as early as this year, with the League to review the process at the conclusion of its ongoing competitive balance reviews.

Speaking to AFL.com.au on Wednesday, the AFL's chief executive Andrew Dillon said the League was in the final stages of its meetings with clubs and was considering alterations to the bidding process as early as 2024.

"It will depend on the timing of when the review is finished. I wouldn't rule it out, coming in during 2024. But I'm not saying it will either," Dillon said.

As revealed on AFL.com.au last October, the League has already written to clubs saying it will review the bidding system, Next Generation Academy incentive and the Draft Value Index to ensure teams with Academy players are paying a fairer price to match bids at the draft.

It comes after Gold Coast matched bids on four Academy players inside the first round of the draft last season (Jed Walter, Ethan Read, Jake Rogers and Will Graham), with Sydney (Caiden Cleary) also matching a first-round bid on its own Academy talent later in the night.

"We are looking at all of our competitive balance mechanisms at the moment with the review going on. The Academies will stay, but we will certainly be looking at the bidding system, the points system, and all of those things," Dillon said.

"It's to make sure that the draft, because there are compromises to it, but we want to make sure that if you are getting elite talent on your list, that you're paying the appropriate price for that."

I can definitely see the need for some outside class with you guys. Hell, we need it ourselves atm, hoping that players like Clarke and Banks can provide it once given more exposure to AFL footy.

The common consensus is a midfielder and KPF. Jagga Smith and Tom Gross both trained with us during pre-season this year, so can easily see us picking either of them based on that, but like you've alluded to yourself with the potential to be the best kid in the draft, it's hard to pass up on someone like Josh Smillie if you have the option (insert obligatory comparison to the Bont or Cripps here because of their height). Not sure a clear KPF has shown themselves to the draft yet, although Jack Whitlock seems to have had a good start to the season.

Yeah, I also don't see either WA teams having the resources (both in terms of picks or player trades) that will be enough for us to budge on Shai. Clarke was less involved with trading from memory, and was more associated with the draft, but it's a safe bet to assume that Clarke would have an understanding of what would be needed to even begin a convo in this regard.

I'm probably in the minority in thinking that we don't need to go into a full rebuild, and that as long as we cover gaping list needs such as a high quality KPF, then the rise back up the ladder might be quicker than some might expect (both internal fans, and outside noise).
Freo have 3 x first rounders this year.

Would 3 x middle to late first rounder, plus 20 year old inside midfielder who went at pick 10 Erasmus (struggling to get in to our inside mid brigade atm) get the job done to kick start ur rebuild?

Admittedly Shai would be an extremely tough guy to let go of, not just because of how good he is but how entertaining he is.

Would 3 x middle to late first rounder, plus 20 year old inside midfielder who went at pick 10 Erasmus (struggling to get in to our inside mid brigade atm) get the job done to kick start ur rebuild?

Admittedly Shai would be an extremely tough guy to let go of, not just because of how good he is but how entertaining he is.
Of course, he'd have to desperately want to go and it would depend how Richmond rates the draft. But if it's a good as some are claiming, and they want to stockpile first round talent before Tasmania comes in, all those picks plus Erasmus, it just might. Although I shudder to think of the meltdowns that some on the Fremantle board would have if that happened.

maybe daniel rioli is leaving cos ugle- fagan is coming and the campaigner cut his cheese remember ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They won't have pick 4.

The picks they have belong to Suns, Dogs, and the end of Rd 1 compo pick. Right now sitting at 8, 11, 20. But even if those clubs finish in their current positions, likely to get shunted back to something like 10, 14, 25.
Well #8 + Luko it is then

Freo & Port will most likely make finals this year and Pies could scrape in also so none of the 3 picks are top 10

lets call it 10 , 13 , 16
they will end up 15,18,21 after all the FS/Academy selections

Would you trade a 25 year old Michael Walters for these picks ?

For me it would have to be a top 5 pick + #15-#20 pick

Bolton is a better player than Cerra and he went for pick #6 + 3rd rounder

THE AFL hasn't ruled out making changes to its Academy and father-son bidding system as early as this year, with the League to review the process at the conclusion of its ongoing competitive balance reviews.

Speaking to AFL.com.au on Wednesday, the AFL's chief executive Andrew Dillon said the League was in the final stages of its meetings with clubs and was considering alterations to the bidding process as early as 2024.

"It will depend on the timing of when the review is finished. I wouldn't rule it out, coming in during 2024. But I'm not saying it will either," Dillon said.

As revealed on AFL.com.au last October, the League has already written to clubs saying it will review the bidding system, Next Generation Academy incentive and the Draft Value Index to ensure teams with Academy players are paying a fairer price to match bids at the draft.

It comes after Gold Coast matched bids on four Academy players inside the first round of the draft last season (Jed Walter, Ethan Read, Jake Rogers and Will Graham), with Sydney (Caiden Cleary) also matching a first-round bid on its own Academy talent later in the night.

"We are looking at all of our competitive balance mechanisms at the moment with the review going on. The Academies will stay, but we will certainly be looking at the bidding system, the points system, and all of those things," Dillon said.

"It's to make sure that the draft, because there are compromises to it, but we want to make sure that if you are getting elite talent on your list, that you're paying the appropriate price for that."

If those changes affect our position adversely with no compensation, it would be the final confirmation of bias against Richmond, if any more was required.

I remember saying after the trade and draft period that they're going to change the rules around academies straight away and so many people told me they can't do it. When we got all those picks I was instantly concerned and rightfully so. We are going to get shafted again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back