List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Goes against what I've said previously but I am more open to trading away our senior players following the proposed changers to the draft system that came out today. The ability to trade away cap space for picks is a incentive to tank and with contract situations (Baker), Dimma connection (Rioli) and Freo being desperate (Bolton) it might be the right time to blow it up especially given we are starting next season 4 players down with ACL injuries and Lynch is a complete unknown right now with his inability to stay fit.

With that in mind:
Trade 1 - Rioli to GC for Picks 7 and 20, exchange of later picks for points. Could pay large portion of his salary to balance things out.
Trade 2 - Bolton to Freo for picks 12, 13, 15 and future first. Could pay large portion of his salary to balance things out.
Trade 3 - Baker and Pick 12 via Freo to West Coast for pick 3.

At minimum head to draft with Pick 2, 3, 7, 13, 15, 20.
If we are paying large portion of his salary then it must be #7 & #8 and giving later picks not #20

tiger_tough Rioli leaving might get us in the ballpark of FOS and Smith/Lalor

secret smell GIF
ted-lasso.gif

Jon Ralph is the best content creator in the media. He mentions Suns will offer 2 firsts for Rioli and we get 3 pages of discussion. So if you're reading this morning, thanks Jon

Could we be positioning ourselves to nab the best possible midfielder at pick 2 and then using the remaining early picks to go after KPP talent?

It would make sense as there seems to be a range of KPP talent that is going to be available across the first couple of rounds and given they take a bit of time to develop getting them in now would tie in with us beginning to challenge again in 2-3 years time.

From the sun this AM:

The Rioli deal​

Gold Coast is prepared to give up two first-round selections for Richmond’s Daniel Rioli.

The problem is that one of them is an end-of-first-round selection that might drift into the mid-20s. The Suns have their own first-rounder, the Western Bulldogs’ first-rounder and the Kangaroos’ end-of-first-rounder (from the club’s AFL assistance package). So, the Tigers might be able to add two early picks to a draft hand that is currently 2, 22 and 34. But while Richmond would ask for the best of the Dogs’ or Suns’ draft picks, last year the Roos’ end-of-first-rounder fell as far as pick 29.

If we dont take this we should just fold. We need those picsk!

Harley Reid

West Coast would have to hand returning midfield star Harley Reid a fourth-year deal worth up to $2 million to get him to extend his mandatory three-year contract.
The reason? Melbourne clubs have indicated they would be prepared to offer him 10-year deals worth up to $18 million if he was prepared to move back east.

Reid has given no indication he wants to move home and the Eagles continue to work hard to put offers to his management that might see him extend his current deal.

He is in no hurry given his form line – and price – can only rise in coming years.

The Eagles are believed to be willing to open up the chequebook on that fourth-year option given it will – in effect – reward him for three years of being underpaid on the new three-season mandatory deals for first-round picks.

They are prepared to offer up to $1.5 million, but it isn’t likely to be enough.

Harley Reid isn’t in a rush to sign a contract extension. Picture: Paul Kane/Getty Images

Harley Reid isn’t in a rush to sign a contract extension. Picture: Paul Kane/Getty Images
Under new rules, Reid will be paid a $130,000 base and $4000 per game this year, but is ineligible for the Brownlow Medal and Rising Star so he cannot earn lucrative bonuses for 2024.

If he plays 18 or more games, he would add $60,000 to his base salary for 2025 so could make $300,000 in his second season.

But under those new rules, he cannot broker a new deal by his third season, so the Eagles would need to pay him a huge sum in his fourth season to make up for the fact he is so underpaid early on.

I don’t like the selling of cap space for picks they should just extend the ability to bank salary cap not used one year in order to be able to exceed the salary cap in later years
Agree although how nice would it have been to trade the RCD & Thomson Dow picks for cap space and have been able to target a FA for 2019 or 2020. Didn't matter as we won the flags anyway but could have really stacked the deck in our favour.

Goes against what I've said previously but I am more open to trading away our senior players following the proposed changers to the draft system that came out today. The ability to trade away cap space for picks is a incentive to tank and with contract situations (Baker), Dimma connection (Rioli) and Freo being desperate (Bolton) it might be the right time to blow it up especially given we are starting next season 4 players down with ACL injuries and Lynch is a complete unknown right now with his inability to stay fit.

With that in mind:
Trade 1 - Rioli to GC for Picks 7 and 20, exchange of later picks for points. Could pay large portion of his salary to balance things out.
Trade 2 - Bolton to Freo for picks 12, 13, 15 and future first. Could pay large portion of his salary to balance things out.
Trade 3 - Baker and Pick 12 via Freo to West Coast for pick 3.

At minimum head to draft with Pick 2, 3, 7, 13, 15, 20.
if we could pull this off or even close to it, I would donate multiple bricks to the grandstand build !!!
imagine the excitement on draft night.
be bold ,be brave , get it done Richmond

The only positive of Rioli potentially going is that his position is fairly easily replaced and cheap to replace.
Smith and Banks could step right into his spot.
It happens in the NFL all the time. Teams cut/trade senior plays all the time to free up space for a younger cheaper player.

Last edited:
I’ll be shattered if the Rioli’s leave

They are Richmond through and through..

would have to be epic deal to calm me down

Those are players who can elevate in finals in a big way, which is why Hardwick wants them. They would be invaluable for a contending team. And a huge loss for us in regard especially to any future finals campaigns. And they are connected to the club a lot more deeply than most players are to their clubs, given the history with Maurice Snr.

We would need something better than picks that would probably end up at 12 and 29 or anything along those lines for Daniel. And Maurice I would not even consider letting go for a pick of lesser value than about 16, or an equivalent player. Even then I am hesitating because they are unique players who you just can't find again in the draft. Richmond needs to make it hurt the Suns if they really want this pair. For both Riolis it needs to be something like their first 3 picks in the 2024 draft, plus their first pick in the 2025 draft, maybe with some later picks going back their way to help them with points. Or, sell Lukosius to Crows for their rd 1 pick - currently 4, and we take that for Daniel and their next pick for Maurice(probably a pick that ends up around 12), again maybe with some later picks going back for points.

Otherwise keep the two Riolis and tell Suns thanks for enquiring.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t like the selling of cap space for picks they should just extend the ability to bank salary cap not used one year in order to be able to exceed the salary cap in later years

That ability already exists for clubs to shuffle cap space into future years… I’m not sure of the exact formula or percentages, but I’m sure it’s in play already.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’ll be shattered if the Rioli’s leave

They are Richmond through and through..

would have to be an epic deal to calm me down

As much as I love D Rioli, he’s 28yo start of 2025. If we get a deal involving a top-10 pick then it’s hard to turn your back on that. MRJ is 22yo start of 2025 with loads of upside, so I wouldn’t want to lose both.

However … both Rioli’s for 7,8 and 20….. once again, D Rioli has only 3-4 years of top-line footy remaining in his career.

To be clear, I wouldn’t push D Rioli out and would only support this if one or both were open to the trade and/or keen for a fresh start.

The club should go to his manager and say “We love Dan and want him to stay, but if he’s genuinely torn about whether to stay or go, we’d be open to seeing what GC would offer, and if it’s massive overs, given the need for elite youth we’d consider it if both Dan and the club could benefit long term. But if it’s not an offer that’s too good to refuse then we will close down negotiations immediately”

Dimma isn’t silly … he knows the wolves will
be at his door if GC don’t make finals in 2024 and are looking like missing again in 2025 … he will be telling GC to do whatever it takes to get D Rioli as he’s the major missing piece in their team.

M Rioli wouldnt get a game at GC, no way he would even consider it and no way would they even want him. Not at this stage anyway

Picks are great and all, but for D Rioli, I would need a certain best 22 player that fills a need thrown in.

It’s hard to part ways with premiership players, Dan Rioli, is one of those players loved by supporters.
However if you look at it from a list building perspective, 2 R1 picks for Rioli is a no- brainer.
The alternative option is we keep him, he plays at a high level for another couple of seasons, maybe we win a couple of extra games ( debatable) , and with a healthy list maybe we etch out 8-10 wins.
But that is the worse possible scenario, mid ladder, not playing finals, missing early draft picks.
Just got to bite the bullet now and go with a full rebuild, there’ll never be another opportunity as good as now

As much as I love D Rioli, he’s 28yo start of 2025. If we get a deal involving a top-10 pick then it’s hard to turn your back on that. MRJ is 22yo start of 2025 with loads of upside, so I wouldn’t want to lose both.

However … both Rioli’s for 7,8 and 20….. once again, D Rioli has only 3-4 years of top-line footy remaining in his career.

To be clear, I wouldn’t push D Rioli out and would only support this if one or both were open to the trade and/or keen for a fresh start.

The club should go to his manager and say “We love Dan and want him to stay, but if he’s genuinely torn about whether to stay or go, we’d be open to seeing what GC would offer, and if it’s massive overs, given the need for elite youth we’d consider it if both Dan and the club could benefit long term. But if it’s not an offer that’s too good to refuse then we will close down negotiations immediately”

Dimma isn’t silly … he knows the wolves will
be at his door if GC don’t make finals in 2024 and are looking like missing again in 2025 … he will be telling GC to do whatever it takes to get D Rioli as he’s the major missing piece in their team.

I cant see MJ going as I don't think Dimma thought much of him. MJ looked much better this season under Yze than he ever has under Dimma.

Could we be positioning ourselves to nab the best possible midfielder at pick 2 and then using the remaining early picks to go after KPP talent?

It would make sense as there seems to be a range of KPP talent that is going to be available across the first couple of rounds and given they take a bit of time to develop getting them in now would tie in with us beginning to challenge again in 2-3 years time.

I keep reading about drafting KPP high in this draft and I'd like to know who they are? From all that I've been reading this draft is flush full of decent mids. Don't really want to waste a pick in our teens if it means we can get the same player with a late 20's or early 30's pick.

Edit: Whitlock brothers - look to be late 1st rounders.

Last edited:
Harley Reid

West Coast would have to hand returning midfield star Harley Reid a fourth-year deal worth up to $2 million to get him to extend his mandatory three-year contract.
The reason? Melbourne clubs have indicated they would be prepared to offer him 10-year deals worth up to $18 million if he was prepared to move back east.

Reid has given no indication he wants to move home and the Eagles continue to work hard to put offers to his management that might see him extend his current deal.

He is in no hurry given his form line – and price – can only rise in coming years.

The Eagles are believed to be willing to open up the chequebook on that fourth-year option given it will – in effect – reward him for three years of being underpaid on the new three-season mandatory deals for first-round picks.

They are prepared to offer up to $1.5 million, but it isn’t likely to be enough.

Under new rules, Reid will be paid a $130,000 base and $4000 per game this year, but is ineligible for the Brownlow Medal and Rising Star so he cannot earn lucrative bonuses for 2024.

If he plays 18 or more games, he would add $60,000 to his base salary for 2025 so could make $300,000 in his second season.

But under those new rules, he cannot broker a new deal by his third season, so the Eagles would need to pay him a huge sum in his fourth season to make up for the fact he is so underpaid early on.
I can see Tassie chasing Reid when his contract is up for grabs as they would receive extra money for the first few seasons to attract marquee players. They would blow everyone out of the water with a huge contract & only a short flight home to be with family.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back