Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we lose DRioli and Baker, another running HB couldnt hurt.
Smith Trezise Brown everyones favourite Short and possibly Banks is plenty of depth, but if someone was to slide and on the board you'd snap them up.

Who is the last contracted elite player to be traded and what did their original club get?

I don't recall any getting 3 first round picks let alone 3 inside the top 10 and something has always gone with the player that was traded.

In the suggestion I made this morning, I could see it being a deal where we kept pick 9 and got 3 & 10 for Bolton outright and IMO that would be fair value. 2 top 10 picks, including a top 3 pick, for a player who wanted out.

But it's all a pipedream because at the moment Bolton has declared that he wants to stay, so unless that changes we can all keep dreaming up fantasy trades that won't happen.
Tim Kelly got three first rounders.

Your deal is garbage.

Smith Trezise Brown everyones favourite Short and possibly Banks is plenty of depth, but if someone was to slide and on the board you'd snap them up.
I just dont agree,

Smith - unproven
Trezise - more lock down, poor kicking
Brown - Kicker but not a line breaker
Short - yep
Banks -agree, but they seem to want him as a winger.

Sick as a dog, so all I can do is phantom trade/draft periods

Right now, we have 1, 21, 34, 39, 41, 52, 57, 63, 66

Graham to WCE for Band 3 FA = Pick 22
Martin to GC for Band 4/5 FA = Pick 40

Baker to Freo for 10-14 or (more likely) WCE for 24 + Future 2nd
Rioli + 40 & 41 to GC (plus we pay a big part of his contract for 2 years) = 8 & 9
Short to ANYWHERE for a Future 2nd
39 & 52 to Adelaide for 31 (for Welsh F/S match)
31, 34, 66 to Brisbane for 15 (for Langford F/S match)

On draft night, trade 21 (1st pick of 2nd night) for Future 1st

End up with 1, 8, 9, 15, 22, 24, 57, 63

1 - FOS
8 - Smith/Langford/Lalor
9 - Smith/Langford/Lalor
15 - Travaglia/Reid/Allan
22 - Faull/Armstrong/Shanahan/Whitlock
24 - Faull/Armstrong/Shanahan/Whitlock
Use 57 and 63 to match bid for Lockwood (NGA)
Take Konstanty in PSD / DFA

Plus one Future 1st & two Future 2nd round picks in 2025

Last edited:
I think Bakers gone. Rioli could go either way. Bolton definitely staying. Graham should go.

Baker and Graham (if Cleary is right on his value) plus our late picks will give us 5 top 30 picks. Rioli going would make 7 which is too many imo. 5 is a good number to bring in.

7 means half will struggle to get games and likely leave.

Obviously there will be opportunities to trade into next year with teams keen to get into this draft and if they were able to do that with our natural 2nd and Graham compo and turn them into F1 picks meaning 4 x top 25 picks next year then maybe it can work.

Graham compo? Who has shown even remote interest in taking him?

How do regular track watchers over the years rate the top 5 talls compared to other years? To me Shanahan, Armstrong, Faull, Sims and the 2 twins all look decent. Shanahan and Armstrong especially

Tim Kelly got three first rounders.

Your deal is garbage.

Tim Kelly Deal

WCE got - Kelly, pick 52, Cats 2020 R3,

Geelong got - pick 14(R1), pick 24(R2), pick 33, WCE 2020 R1

The way I look at drafting is that is all probabilities. Better picks = higher probability of higher quality and more likely to make it. So more picks = better chance. And better picks = better chance. There are no guarantees. But a range of good picks should lead to multiple players of quality ending up on the list.

So to me it isn't about the specific picks we get, it's about the overall package we get versus the draft class.

This year the top 8ish are good to really good, and after that we have a smorgasbord. We want picks in that top 8 zone to get likely A graders, then it's about numbers until pick 35ish this year.

i hope we look at sliding again. Trade a pick for something later and next year's second rounder. Try to end up with a crop of 5 or 6 players this year and then 4 or 5 top 30ish picks in 2025, with other picks we can trade forward to keep it rolling.

Just get a good portfolio of picks and try to turn that into a multi-year portfolio of good picks. Hopefully get the 4 or 5 A graders and a bunch of good B graders over the next 3 years and we will be back fast and in the long run.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How do regular track watchers over the years rate the top 5 talls compared to other years? To me Shanahan, Armstrong, Faull, Sims and the 2 twins all look decent. Shanahan and Armstrong especially

What I have heard is that they are looking like a group of genuine top 20 worthy picks. But without a top 10 worthy pick, as yet.

So a good group but not a year with an outstanding group of KPs.

The way I look at drafting is that is all probabilities. Better picks = higher probability of higher quality and more likely to make it. So more picks = better chance. And better picks = better chance. There are no guarantees. But a range of good picks should lead to multiple players of quality ending up on the list.

So to me it isn't about the specific picks we get, it's about the overall package we get versus the draft class.

This year the top 8ish are good to really good, and after that we have a smorgasbord. We want picks in that top 8 zone to get likely A graders, then it's about numbers until pick 35ish this year.

i hope we look at sliding again. Trade a pick for something later and next year's second rounder. Try to end up with a crop of 5 or 6 players this year and then 4 or 5 top 30ish picks in 2025, with other picks we can trade forward to keep it rolling.

Just get a good portfolio of picks and try to turn that into a multi-year portfolio of good picks. Hopefully get the 4 or 5 A graders and a bunch of good B graders over the next 3 years and we will be back fast and in the long run.

Just further to that, better picks also gets you one other thing - choice.

So if picks 10-30 are considered to have little to choose between them in terms of how good a player you get, if you are taking at the top end of that range you can choose the positions you think you might need most. At the bottom end of the range, you get what you are given.

So he was uncontracted and they got two firsts and two seconds. So Schulz and two teens picks ain't a bad price for Shai then?
I just don't see any club completely selling the farm and their future, by trading out 3 or 4 first round picks like people are hoping will happen.

Kelly was traded for 2 R1 picks in separate drafts, that ended up being 14 & 18, plus a swap of late picks between WCE Essendon & Geelong.

As I said earlier if a situation along the lines of what I proposed this morning was to unfold during the trade period this year and we were offered 3 & 10 for Bolton outright, that would be about the maximum we'd get without getting into later picks being involved.

What I have heard is that they are looking like a group of genuine top 20 worthy picks. But without a top 10 worthy pick, as yet.

So a good group but not a year with an outstanding group of KPs.

How are they rated compared to Caddy, Cadman, Amiss?

I just don't see any club completely selling the farm and their future, by trading out 3 or 4 first round picks like people are hoping will happen.

Kelly was traded for 2 R1 picks in separate drafts, that ended up being 14 & 18, plus a swap of late picks between WCE Essendon & Geelong.

As I said earlier if a situation along the lines of what I proposed this morning was to unfold during the trade period this year and we were offered 3 & 10 for Bolton outright, that would be about the maximum we'd get without getting into later picks being involved.

If we where offered 3 and 10 for Bolton, I would let him go and he would have my blessing naturally

I'm not hoping it will happen. I want to keep Shai. And didn't you have us trading Shai and 10 for 3 and 9?

They wouldn't be selling the farm or their future. They'd be buying a golden shot at a flag or two.

If they don't want to, that's fine. We keep Shai unless we get an offer too good to refuse. In an even draft, pick 3 is totally refusable.

If we do somehow end up with say pick 1, pick 7/8 for Rioli, pick ~14 for Baker and potentially Brisbane's first pick I think we should try offload one of the later ones for a F1 off Pies or Port who dont have a 1st pick this year and will be keen to get into this draft.

Ideally we give a F2 and Rioli to Suns for 7 and 8, then trade out a late first for a F1 off someone. Strengthens our hand next year and gives us a couple of earlier picks this year.

Sick as a dog, so all I can do is phantom trade/draft periods

Right now, we have 1, 21, 34, 39, 41, 52, 57, 63, 66

Graham to WCE for Band 3 FA = Pick 22
Martin to GC for Band 4/5 FA = Pick 40

Baker to Freo for 10-14 or (more likely) WCE for 24 + Future 2nd
Rioli + 40 & 41 to GC (plus we pay a big part of his contract for 2 years) = 8 & 9
Short to ANYWHERE for a Future 2nd
39 & 52 to Adelaide for 31 (for Welsh F/S match)
31, 34, 66 to Brisbane for 15 (for Langford F/S match)

On draft night, trade 21 (1st pick of 2nd night) for Future 1st

End up with 1, 8, 9, 15, 22, 24, 57, 63

1 - FOS
8 - Smith/Langford/Lalor
9 - Smith/Langford/Lalor
15 - Travaglia/Reid/Allan
22 - Faull/Armstrong/Shanahan/Whitlock
24 - Faull/Armstrong/Shanahan/Whitlock
Use 57 and 63 to match bid for Lockwood (NGA)
Take Konstanty in PSD / DFA

Plus one Future 1st & two Future 2nd round picks in 2025

Stopped reading at Graham fetching pick 22 compo

Stopped reading at Graham fetching pick 22 compo
Cleary saying his market value is 700k. ****ed if anyone knows how but that would be pick 22.

I'll lock him in Groupie_ 's dungeon until he accepts.

I'm not hoping it will happen. I want to keep Shai. And didn't you have us trading Shai and 10 for 3 and 9?

They wouldn't be selling the farm or their future. They'd be buying a golden shot at a flag or two.

If they don't want to, that's fine. We keep Shai unless we get an offer too good to refuse. In an even draft, pick 3 is totally refusable.

FWIW when I suggest trades I take the view of both clubs and try and find a middle ground where I feel both clubs would be happy to pull the trigger. So with the Bolton scenario I looked at it from the hypothetical POV of Bolton coming to the club and saying he wants out and isn't happy to go through a rebuild and rather than the club saying stuff you you're staying, they go after getting the best possible deal. Admittedly 3 & 10 for Bolton & 9 on reflection is too much in Freos favour hence the suggestion this afternoon to make it 3 & 10 for Bolton straight up, which I think the club would be quite tempted by if it was offered.

As I said in that post a man can dream, because as far as I'm concerned I think we lose Baker, Rioli is 50-50 and Shai stays.

Cleary saying his market value is 700k. ****ed if anyone knows how but that would be pick 22.

I'll lock him in Groupie_ 's dungeon until he accepts.
we couldve got pick 12 for him 2 years ago. rfc are idiots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back