Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draft combine invites are out and the team which receives the No. 1 draft pick could be decided this weekend.
Here’s the latest AFL Draft news and views from around the country.

WHAT TIGERS, ROOS COULD DO WITH NO. 1 PICK

It’s not quite ‘The Kreuzer Cup’, but Saturday’s match between North Melbourne and Richmond could well decide who wins the wooden spoon and therefore receives the No. 1 draft pick this year.

Just 1.4 percentage points separates the two teams on the bottom of the ladder, with only four rounds remaining in the home-and-away season.

Here’s where the race for the No. 1 pick sits – and what the Kangaroos or Tigers could do with that selection.

WHO IS IN THE HUNT TO BE PICK NO. 1?

Talk to recruiters and most of them will give you a list of six or seven names.

There’s no clear standout like Harley Reid this year.

Josh Smillie and Finn O’Sullivan entered the season as the early No. 1 fancies, but haven’t quite lived up to expectations due to form and fitness.

That said, both are still firmly in the mix to be the first player picked in November if they can finish the season strongly.

On form this year, Jagga Smith and Levi Ashcroft (Brisbane Lions father-son) have arguably been standouts, while Sid Draper, Sam Lalor and Luke Trainor also have plenty of fans.

IF RICHMOND HAS PICK ONE:

Chris says:
The Tigers have only had one top-10 draft pick in the past 11 years, that being Josh Gibcus (pick 9, 2021). So, new recruiting boss Chris Toce will need to nail this one. Smith – who has been starring in VFL games with the Tigers in recent weeks – oozes class and has begun doing more damage with ball in hand in the second half of the year. He’s on the smaller side for a midfielder at 181cm, but that won’t hold him back. Errol Gulden’s only 175cm. Standing 194cm, Smillie offers a big-body midfield option in the mould of Patrick Cripps which would suit Richmond nicely, while Lalor has Christian Petracca-like traits.

Verdict: I still think the Tigers would be keen on Smillie. Like all young players, he’s got some areas of his game to work on, but the strengths are clear with his ability to win clearances, contested possession and ground ball.

Dan says: Richmond is crying out for talented young midfielders and fortunately the top-end is stacked with them. Smith has dominated at VFL level for Richmond and would probably be playing in their depleted AFL side if he was on their list, while Smillie’s contested ball-winning and monster frame would fill a glaring need. O’Sullivan has the competitive streak and evasiveness that can break a game open, while Lalor has shown he can be a matchwinner in the midfield and up forward.

Verdict: Tough choice between Smith and Smillie but if I was the Tiges, I’d be leaning towards Jagga. He’s not only bankable but also has shades of Zak Butters with his ball-winning ability and elusiveness in traffic. Some might say he’s got the moves like Jagga.

IF NORTH MELBOURNE HAS PICK ONE:

Chris says:
If the Kangaroos finish with the No. 1 pick, I suspect they might look to trade it and move a few spots down the order. But will there be any buyers? We saw GWS trade up the No. 1 pick in 2022, handing North Melbourne back picks 3 and 12 and swapping some later selections. But with so much uncertainty around the top picks this year, clubs are unlikely to be desperate to move up. If the Roos were able to split the pick and move back to say No. 5, reliable 194cm intercept defender Luke Trainor would be an ideal fit.

Verdict: It’s time to start addressing some other areas of the ground outside of the midfield for the Kangaroos. Hence, Trainor might be the man even if they don’t trade the No. 1 selection.

Dan says: The golden rule of drafting is to pick on talent rather than positional needs early, but North Melbourne can afford to be a little picky given they are well stocked with smaller midfielders. At 194 centimetres, Smillie can complement the likes of Luke Davies-Uniacke, George Wardlaw and Harry Sheezel and can be a marking presence up forward. There isn’t many talls at the very top-end, but Trainor has proven he is a worthy top-10 prospect, while his Sandringham Dragons teammate Harry Armstrong is coming with a rush.

Verdict: Smillie is a worthy No. 1 pick in his own right, and he shapes as the missing piece of the puzzle for North Melbourne’s midfield.

If Saints can beat the Cats that Pies pick should be #5. Go Blues lol
To add to this its important as Saints battle compo won't affect it.

Richmond - Smillie
North - Trainor
WC - FOS
Adelaide - Draper
Richmond - Jagga

Need Norf to take Trainor.

Me too but all the noise seems to be Smillie or Jagga
I think Draper has more upside, although I suppose you could argue the cas that Smilie with his size could develop into something special.
Sid is more explosive than any of the other midfielders, I think we’ll be able to add plenty of grunt to our midfield over the next couple of years. We really should be trying to get guys like Draper who offer something a bit different

To add to this its important as Saints battle compo won't affect it.

Richmond - Smillie
North - Trainor
WC - FOS
Adelaide - Draper
Richmond - Jagga

Need Norf to take Trainor.
You don't think we'll take Lalor?

Ok so look at my prior posts where I predicted both Hopper and Taranto before it was announced. My sources at the club say.

• We will look into King this year at STK and ask questions as he is a Lynch replacement however club concerned about attitude compared to interest in prior years.
  • Rioli and Baker likely to leave. Bolton will be open if we push the agenda. Bolton doesn’t want the rebuild and Rioli open to sea change with a team that contends with the Dimma connection.
  • Club genuinely has NFI on what Martin is doing or will do.
  • Loose conversations around a 3 way pick swap mega deal with, GC, Freo and WC to get it all done. Details to be hashed out. Potential salary dumping involved to help Freo and GC lure talent and rise up the ladder to bridge draft pick differences as we won’t fill our cap the next 3 years.
  • academy bids won’t change this year due to other club backlash and will potentially next year so a big potential win for us on the Brisbane picks!
Nice Bump here boys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we get pick 1 we will know who was on the top of our rankings.

If we get pick 2 I will always wonder if we actually still got our 1st ranked player at pick 2 or if north picked our 1st ranked player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back