Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
FOS looked off the pace a bit, and underdone which was understandable given his disrupted season, wouldn’t put too much stock into it or over index based on one performance, even though it was the champs final. He was still immense as an under anger and had some really good games at the start of the year for oakleigh before the hand injuries mounted up.

It’s still Smilie, FOS and now lalor for our first pick for mine. Whilst smilie and Lalor weren’t necessarily prolific in the final, the things they were really promising. Smilie stood up in tackles, broke tackles and his disposal is very good for a midfielder of his type. Lalor won contests inside 50 and was able to fend off and break tackles as well. That’s exactly what our midfield is lacking these point of difference mids
I don't think there's enough evidence there yet to have FOS or Lalor in the conversation for Pick 1. Would need to finish the year strongly.

At the moment I've got it as a three horse race between Smillie, Draper and Smith and it's bloody close.

I don't think there's enough evidence there yet to have FOS or Lalor in the conversation for Pick 1. Would need to finish the year strongly.

At the moment I've got it as a three horse race between Smillie, Draper and Smith and it's bloody close.
I’m lower on Draper and smith. I have them a bit further back alongside Reid, trainor and Hotton

When Gross is going at 28, Kako at 20, Lindsay at 24, Faull at 25, Hynes at 27, Lalor at 21 😂, you know it’s a bloody strong draft.

Now imagine having five of these guys into our squad. Make a difference you reckon?

I think the difference between the bulk of this draft (say 10 and 40) is very small, with the depth running deeper than the arbitrary cut off of 30 I used. I’ve got the likes of the Whitlock twins, Kayle Gerryn, Thomas Sims, Noah Mraz, Dodson and Tauru in that 30-40 bracket. I think that’s pretty good value for second and third round picks.

I’d say it’s not the draft you will get your Dusty/ Rance/ Riewoldt/ Cotchin tier types, but you can grab a fair chunk of that next tier below (Lambert’s; Edwards’, Astbury’s, Houli’s etc.) which are just as important to building a contending side.

I left Marvel yesterday pretty bullish about the quality of the draft.

I've been a bit flat that there is no standout number 1 pick, but I'm now changing my way of thinking and focussing on the fact that we could get a few really handy players with our later picks (late 1st/ early 2nd round picks.)

For some reason, Jagga Smith is criminally underrated on this forum. I'm not sure why. He's slight but he works his backside off, uses the ball well, and finds it at will. Have a look at some of the best mids in the competition at the moment.. Merrett, Daicos, Neale, Butters.. all relatively small but incredibly nimble and know how to get in and out of traffic.

I'd be happy with either Smillie or Jagga with our first pick (hoping this extends to FOS too by the time we get to draft night.)

A few others i'm really excited by and could get them later in the first round:
  • Harvey Langford. I can't not see Josh Kelly when watching him play.
  • Murphy Reid. Smart footballer who makes things happen, would start as a half forward but evolve into a mid i think.
  • Isaac Kako. Has speed and applies manic pressure but he is also deadly in front of goal. I feel like our smalls at the moment are good pressure players but lack the finishing class. He doesnt.
  • Xavier Lindsay. Dominated yesterday and was the first real time i've thought Wow! Uses it really well and could slot into a Wing/ HB role pretty quickly (especially if there are a couple of vacant spots next year....)

Finally, I think it's worth touching on the Key Position market which I think is as strong as we've seen in many a year. I think there's a bunch of 4-5 Key Forwards who could really develop into good AFL players in time:
  • Jobe Shanahan
  • Harry Armstrong
  • Jonty Faull
  • Jack / Matt Whitlock
  • Tom Sims

Excited for the next 6 weeks.. hopefully we see a bit more out of our kids and no more injuries.. then a huge off season where we reload.

Smith is smaller than all the players you listed and very narrow through his chest and shoulders. Not the type you spend a pick 1 on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the difference between the bulk of this draft (say 10 and 40) is very small, with the depth running deeper than the arbitrary cut off of 30 I used. I’ve got the likes of the Whitlock twins, Kayle Gerryn, Thomas Sims, Noah Mraz, Dodson and Tauru in that 30-40 bracket. I think that’s pretty good value for second and third round picks.

I’d say it’s not the draft you will get your Dusty/ Rance/ Riewoldt/ Cotchin tier types, but you can grab a fair chunk of that next tier below (Lambert’s; Edwards’, Astbury’s, Houli’s etc.) which are just as important to building a contending side.

this is what happens, people assume prospects fall further back than they do as if other recruiters are idiots

Smith is smaller than all the players you listed and very narrow through his chest and shoulders. Not the type you spend a pick 1 on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Neale is 177cm.. which is shorter than Jagga Smith at 181cm

Merrett is 180cm.. which is shorter than Jagga Smith at 181cm

Butters is 181cm.. which is the same height as Jagga Smith

No doubt he has a slight frame, but who’s to say he won’t fill out nicely? He has a skill set that offsets his small frame too, with his ability to get in and out of traffic. Hes nimble and always moving at stoppage.

He’s a beauty

The following ladder positions would be good when going into the trade period:

1721077723322.png

We could trade pick 1 to Adelaide for pick 4 + F1 (if they really want to secure Draper)
Rioli + F3 to Gold Coast for pick 6 & 10
Baker for pick 9 (if he chooses Freo)
Trade later picks to Brisbane for their 1st round pick.

Go to the draft 4,6,9,10, 15 (Brisbane), 21, 22(JG compo) + Adelaide's F1

Last edited:
At this risk of being absolutely potted, thought I’d provide my top 30 at the conclusion of the champs having paid additional attention for this years draft crop.

1. Finn O’Sullivan
  2. Josh Smillie
  3. Levi Ashcroft (Brisbane F/S)
  4. Luke Trainor
  5. Murphy Reid
  6. Sid Draper
  7. Leo Lombard (Suns Academy)
  8. Harvey Langford
  9. Jagga Smith
  10. Bo Allen
  11. Taj Hotton
  12. Jobe Shanahan
  13. Tobie Tavagolia
  14. Christian Moreas
  15. Sam Marshall (Brisbane Academy)
  16. Josh Murphy
  17. Harry Armstrong
  18. Harry O’Farrell
  19. Tyler Welsh (Adelaide F/S)
  20. Isaac Kako
  21. Sam Lalor
  22. Ben Camporeale (Carlton F/S)
  23. Malachi Champion
  24. Xavier Lindsay
  25. Jonty Faull
  26. Joe Berry
  27. Cooper Hynes
  28. Tim Gross
  29. Zak Johnston
  30. Harry Oliver
Have at it.
From that list my wish list preferences are with couple of additional players:
Sid Draper
Jagga Smith
Finn O'Sullivan
Josh Smillie
Murphy Reid
Bo Allen
Harvey Langford
Harry Armstrong
Luke Trainor
Whitlocks
Tobie Travaglia
Isaac Kako
Joe Berry
Xavier Lindsay
Sam Lalor
Jonty Faull
Tom Sims
Alex Dodson
Cooper Hynes
Zak Johnson

Harvey Langford believes FOS is the best player in the draft.

He's a Richmond fan so hard to doubt his intelligence and good looks.

secret smell GIF

The following ladder positions would be good when going into the trade period:

View attachment 2049719

We could trade pick 1 to Adelaide for pick 4 + F1 (if they really want to secure Draper)
Rioli + F3 to Gold Coast for pick 6 & 10
Baker for pick 9 (if he chooses Freo)
Trade later picks to Brisbane for their 1st round pick.

Go to the draft 4,6,9,10, 15 (Brisbane), 21, 22(JG compo) + Adelaide's F1
Rioli wont leave and baker is going to WC, we will not have another pick in the top 10. We may get some in the late teen or early 20s with our pick trades. I would be very surprised if we get another pick in the top 10.
The Saints is most probable to get another pick in the top 10 if they lose Battle....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rioli wont leave and baker is going to WC, we will not have another pick in the top 10. We may get some in the late teen or early 20s with our pick trades. I would be very surprised if we get another pick in the top 10.
The Saints is most probable to get another pick in the top 10 if they lose Battle....
Battle is an UFA, no club is going to pay a B grader 900K+ * 6

The midfield crop is incredible this year. Outside of the top 5 or 6 you have players like Xavier Lindsay, who hasn’t played a bad game this year.

He’s numbers stack up alongside the best and kicking is elite.
He’s deceptively strong, and doesn’t mind the hard ball as Trainor found out on the weekend.

I’m unsure re our first pick but after that its pretty clear we need to be super aggressive in this year’s trade period
We won’t get another shot at
Lindsay,
Travaglia,
Armstrong/Whitlock/Shanahan,
With picks outside the top 10 for the foreseeable future

You could well be right but if the rumour is true about Taranto talking to the group about committing to the rebuild you would think that more than just Baker must be looking at leaving. I think Bolton certainly stays but until Rioli also comes out and squashes the rumour it still has to be a possibility. Smoke / Fire and all that. If he stays great but if he goes we just have to get the best deal we can.

To me the player that suits us most in the midfield is Draper. We have ball winners and extractors, but we don't have a clearance type. Draper is explosive and a decent build and seems to use it pretty well. He seems to have the type of game that will translate to the next level, his two 25 possession games in the SANFL would back that up.

There may be better players right now, Smith, or better potential players, FOS, Smillee, but we don't perhaps need those types as much as we do some line breaking speed from the midfield.

Lalor is player that is hard to go past because he looks like such a complete player down the track, but again I think we need speed.

If we can get a bunch of picks inside the top 15, and after watching highlights, I'd go:

Jagga Smith
Luke Trainor
Isaac Kako

That would be amazing.

I've wanted a bigger midfielder but...

Smillie - plays with his hands too close to his body and I think his lack of speed/explosiveness will find him out at AFL level

O'Sullivan - just hasn't got the runs on the board to go as high as the picks we'll have

Draper - always worry about the SA go home factor

The highlights of Jagga Smith were great, 25 touches in a big game, lots of pace, knows how to get the footy and he's very clean.

If Richmond are going to go against the grain and taking Jagga Smith with pick 1 then it may be worth trading our pick 1 with the Saints or Adelaide for their pick 4 or 5 plus their future 1st if it looks like other clubs are going to select Smillie, FOS and Trainor ahead of Jagga Smith.

That way we still get Smith and also set up our draft hand for next year.
I’m not sure if they will be going against the grain. Jagga has been the most consistent performer in the U/18s this year.

In an open draft I would have Jagga at the top.
He wins first possession and brings other players around him into the game. High level footy IQ

Can see him developing into a Daicos/Merret type and impact early.

He has shown more than Ashcroft and Smilie while playing next to them.
Draper seems to be getting into the flow now, after the championships - also looks more of a receiver than a ball winner.

Smilie, other than his size doesn’t have a bag of tricks. Likely impacted by the ball winning ability of Jagga and others in that Metro team so maybe needs a midfield built around him. Will obviously grow into his body and be a brute! though we have Hopper and Taranto that are very similar types.

Lombard is the other that should be bidded on @ pick 1. I wouldnt say he has elite disposal, but what he does have is tenacity, competitiveness, speed/endurance, hardness and could play AFL this weekend. His father is a former UFC/Judo veteran as well so you know he can tackle with the best of them.

Trainor would be the best choice for North. They have used plenty of top selections on mids recently. Trainor isn’t the key Defender to take the no. 1 forward, his more of the Ridley/Sicily/Vlastuin interceptor type. - would compliment Gibcus so well though imo if we were to go that direction.

West Coast @ 2-3 is the interesting one.
I have a feeling they will trade it out for more draft picks… or in a package for Baker. But could take Jagga here.

Saints could go Smilie, Draper or Jagga here.

Adelaide are probably keen on the local boy here, or could go for M.Reid.

The trade period will be the most entertaining part of the year for us Tiger fans lol

A quieter performance here to close out a slightly disappointing champs series for Smillie. He started well enough, getting his hands on the footy at stoppage consistently in the opening term, but he increasingly drifted out of the game and he had very little impact in the second half. His disposal by foot can get lazy at times and that was especially evident in this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back