Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Jagga Smith play any other positions? That's why Dow is not great because he is exclusively an inside midfielder.
Smilie with his height can play a variety of positions.
FOS is just an all rounder.

Rioli wont leave and baker is going to WC, we will not have another pick in the top 10. We may get some in the late teen or early 20s with our pick trades. I would be very surprised if we get another pick in the top 10.
The Saints is most probable to get another pick in the top 10 if they lose Battle....
Ok so look at my prior posts where I predicted both Hopper and Taranto before it was announced. My sources at the club say.

• We will look into King this year at STK and ask questions as he is a Lynch replacement however club concerned about attitude compared to interest in prior years.
  • Rioli and Baker likely to leave. Bolton will be open if we push the agenda. Bolton doesn’t want the rebuild and Rioli open to sea change with a team that contends with the Dimma connection.
  • Club genuinely has NFI on what Martin is doing or will do.
  • Loose conversations around a 3 way pick swap mega deal with, GC, Freo and WC to get it all done. Details to be hashed out. Potential salary dumping involved to help Freo and GC lure talent and rise up the ladder to bridge draft pick differences as we won’t fill our cap the next 3 years.
  • academy bids won’t change this year due to other club backlash and will potentially next year so a big potential win for us on the Brisbane picks!

Ok so look at my prior posts where I predicted both Hopper and Taranto before it was announced. My sources at the club say.

• We will look into King this year at STK and ask questions as he is a Lynch replacement however club concerned about attitude compared to interest in prior years.
  • Rioli and Baker likely to leave. Bolton will be open if we push the agenda. Bolton doesn’t want the rebuild and Rioli open to sea change with a team that contends with the Dimma connection.
  • Loose conversations around a 3 way pick swap mega deal with, GC, Freo and WC to get it all done. Details to be hashed out. Potential salary dumping involved to help Freo and GC lure talent and rise up the ladder to bridge draft pick differences as we won’t fill our cap the next 3 years.
  • academy bids won’t change this year due to other club backlash and will potentially next year so a big potential win for us on the Brisbane picks!
that means we could end up with 3 top 10 picks plus a few later ones, we'd be set for the next deacde. Also means I won't have to see my fav draft guys play in an other teams colours.

Just wanted to clarify exactly what you meant by the part I have bolded above.

All the stuff around Rioli, Baker and Bolton makes sense to me. Freo and Suns need to go all in to win historic first flags. Suns do not need high draft picks at all. And Freo with Bolton suddenly have an attacking weapon other teams would struggle to withstand in finals. All these moves would appear to make sense for the players in question as well. If they all go, Richmond could end up with anything up to 8-9 picks inside the first round of the next two drafts, including 2-3 top 3 level picks.

Big change of direction for the club, but I do think you take what the market offers you some times. If we ended up with another 2-3 flags in the next 10-12 years out of withdrawing from the scrimmage for glory in the short term, it would be well worth it. You have to be what you are. We are not finals cloggers. We have the strongest Grand Final wins v finals losses ratio in the competition over the last 80 years. That is who we are.

Recent media reports about Max King being offered a long-term extension made me think another club had interest and was influencing Saints to lock him down.

Makes sense that we would go down that path given we missed out on his brother. Likelihood of it happening is low though imo.

I was in two minds about making this video. Finn is clearly still miles away from peak fitness after his long injury layoffs, as evidenced by him getting caught with the ball multiple times and his opponents at times toying with him. There's a ton more to come from Finn this season, and we can look back on this performance to remind ourselves how far he's progressed.

Reckon eagles and freo swap picks then and we get a pick in the teens
We get eagles second round pick currently sitting at 23. And there 2nd round pick next year somewhere between 19-23
We trade both picks to suns( who need academy picks next year).Suns give us pick 10 this year

Hope you do have good inside info.

What I take from that is that the rumors are real. We could end up anywhere from zero trades to having about 1/3 of the first round. Especially if we pay up $ to help clubs out. If the draft is as strong as they say this year, maybe we should go really hard. Keep a solid core to protect our kids and do a one year expansion club rebuild.

I’m sorry but baker, nor any player should be able to dictate the club they want to play at.
You want to go back to WA because it’s your hometown? Fine..but then the club should have the say in who can offer the best deal.
I don't begrudge Baker for choosing a team, every player does it. We've benefitted from it in the past when Prestia, Caddy, Nankervis, Taranto etc have nominated Richmond as the club they wanted to be traded to.

this Finn O'Sullivan kid looks like he's got some class. Hard to believe he's Sam Walsh's cousin, who's more of a low impact running machine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IDK why we wouldn't just tell King to wait it out for 2 more years and then snag him as a free agent when he's out of contract in 2026. Doesn't have to sit through 2 years of rebuild, and we get him for free when we'll have a ton of salary cap room.

A quieter game this week from Lalor who still showed his elite talent with some impressive moments. The Champs really came too early for Sam as he's a long way short of full fitness. He was only able to play brief stints through the middle, with most of his game time spent in the forward line. His standout moment was a huge mark and goal in the second quarter where he launched into a pack with no regard for his safety.

I don't begrudge Baker for choosing a team, every player does it. We've benefitted from it in the past when Prestia, Caddy, Nankervis, Taranto etc have nominated Richmond as the club they wanted to be traded to.

A player is not bigger than a club. The club should have more of a say. In this case, what do West Coast have to give up? they certainly wouldn't be giving us pick 3. It would be on them to find other deals to satisfy us.
I understand it happens.

A quieter performance here to close out a slightly disappointing champs series for Smillie. He started well enough, getting his hands on the footy at stoppage consistently in the opening term, but he increasingly drifted out of the game and he had very little impact in the second half. His disposal by foot can get lazy at times and that was especially evident in this game.

Thanks. Not the greatest game but had some moments where he looked a class above. Looks great when he shruggs a tackle but he won't be able to do that against the big boys for a few years.

One thing that gave me the shits watching live was that he often hangs around about 15-20m away from a teammate who's taken a mark or got a free kick calling for a cheap, nothing possession over the top.

Keen to see how he goes for the rest of CTL and hopefully a stint in the VFL. The potential is massive. I see alot of Patrick Cripps in there.

A quieter game this week from Lalor who still showed his elite talent with some impressive moments. The Champs really came too early for Sam as he's a long way short of full fitness. He was only able to play brief stints through the middle, with most of his game time spent in the forward line. His standout moment was a huge mark and goal in the second quarter where he launched into a pack with no regard for his safety.

Apologies if already asked mate, what range do you have Lalor in?

I also think I read you have Draper as your current no1?

Apologies if already asked mate, what range do you have Lalor in?

I also think I read you have Draper as your current no1?
I'll be doing a post champs State of the Draft video soon to go through my full top 20+.

Here's my thinking on FOS and Lalor. I'm keeping them provisionally right up there where I believe they will eventually settle... if they both continue to struggle post Champs then I'll reassess.

FOS: He has a long history of elite production in junior comps over the years. I think its foolish to be too short termist in your assessment of him, and I'm sure the clubs won't be.

I have a group of 4 as the "tier 1" prospects, Draper, FOS, Smillie and Jagga. Probably in that order, but they're close enough that I'm not too fussed.

Lalor I have in the next group, call them "tier 1.5" prospects. Its so even this year that this second group doesnt deserve to be called tier 2. Lalor is the one in that second group that I feel could easily jump up if he finds his fitness and form over the final couple of months of the season.

I'll be doing a post champs State of the Draft video soon to go through my full top 20+.

Here's my thinking on FOS and Lalor. I'm keeping them provisionally right up there where I believe they will eventually settle... if they both continue to struggle post Champs then I'll reassess.

FOS: He has a long history of elite production in junior comps over the years. I think its foolish to be too short termist in your assessment of him, and I'm sure the clubs won't be.

I have a group of 4 as the "tier 1" prospects, Draper, FOS, Smillie and Jagga. Probably in that order, but they're close enough that I'm not too fussed.

Lalor I have in the next group, call them "tier 1.5" prospects. Its so even this year that this second group doesnt deserve to be called tier 2. Lalor is the one in that second group that I feel could easily jump up if he finds his fitness and form over the final couple of months of the season.
Much appreciated as always, certainly a lot to unfold in the next 2 months IMO.

There will bolters and sliders, and FWIW I think Jagga might slide due to his size.

Choosing WC really ****s us IMO.
Let them cook on this deal.

Its clear if you followed the draft last year that the relationship with player agents is key in how deals get done. Richmond is regarded as one of the best to deal with (the media has said this).

If Baker wants West Coast, then we will most likely get their future first or 2026 future first. In the NBA these are valuable pieces for getting trades done.

I was in two minds about making this video. Finn is clearly still miles away from peak fitness after his long injury layoffs, as evidenced by him getting caught with the ball multiple times and his opponents at times toying with him. There's a ton more to come from Finn this season, and we can look back on this performance to remind ourselves how far he's progressed.

Thanks for that, was good to see him play albeit not a dominant performance there were still glimpses of high calibre qualities. Hopefully get to see more of him in the run up to the end of the season.

I dont think we will go with Smillie at #1.
He is too simular to Hopper and Taranto.
I think we will go Jagger, FOS or Draper.

Is there a draft watcher that will tell me otherwise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back