Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope you do have good inside info.

What I take from that is that the rumors are real. We could end up anywhere from zero trades to having about 1/3 of the first round. Especially if we pay up $ to help clubs out. If the draft is as strong as they say this year, maybe we should go really hard. Keep a solid core to protect our kids and do a one year expansion club rebuild.
It will be better than an expansion club rebuild, because we will already have (for what it is worth) the draft classes of 2021 onwards, and better mentorship with senior players who have 1-4 years left depending on the names to protect them and insulate them. Combine that with guaranteed bottom 3 finishes for the next two years after, and extra draft pick buying opportunities in those years, I would say we will have a monster team and one that won't leave due to homesickness.

I’m sorry but baker, nor any player should be able to dictate the club they want to play at.
You want to go back to WA because it’s your hometown? Fine..but then the club should have the say in who can offer the best deal.
Yes and no

Would your attitude still be the same if Harley Reid asked to be traded back to Victoria and Richmond was his club of choice?

It will be better than an expansion club rebuild, because we will already have (for what it is worth) the draft classes of 2021 onwards, and better mentorship with senior players who have 1-4 years left depending on the names to protect them and insulate them. Combine that with guaranteed bottom 3 finishes for the next two years after, and extra draft pick buying opportunities in those years, I would say we will have a monster team and one that won't leave due to homesickness.

Potentially. It's easy to blow this sort of thing up. But if done right we could have a GWS/GC list based on a really solid core and without the cultural issues. That would be amazing. But a high risk high reward strategy.

ooze's comments indicate he wouldn't be against it.

I dont think we will go with Smillie at #1.
He is too simular to Hopper and Taranto.
I think we will go Jagger, FOS or Draper.

Is there a draft watcher that will tell me otherwise?

Having Hopper and Taranto will have no baring on taking Smilie.

If our guys have him number one on the draft whiteboard when we make a selection, you take him. You don’t **** around with “needs” when you need talent. You take the guy you rate the best.

Harvey Langford took home the Larke medal for the best player across the 2024 Champs series and its not hard to see why. This wasn't his most prolific statistical performance, but he stood up in the big moments and lead his team. Powerful at the contest with his big 190cm frame, excellent overhead and with a booming left foot kick, Langford is putting up a serious case to be considered with a top 10 pick in November.

I remember Bontempeli and Oliver came on late in the season so I dare say the top 5 could change alot in the next 6 weeks

This draft is so even that I could see clubs taking players on what they need opposed to best available as the difference between the players is very minimal and rather than players separating themselves from others in the run home I think it will be case of more players putting their hands up as to why they could be worthy of a number 1 pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just wanted to clarify exactly what you meant by the part I have bolded above.

All the stuff around Rioli, Baker and Bolton makes sense to me. Freo and Suns need to go all in to win historic first flags. Suns do not need high draft picks at all. And Freo with Bolton suddenly have an attacking weapon other teams would struggle to withstand in finals. All these moves would appear to make sense for the players in question as well. If they all go, Richmond could end up with anything up to 8-9 picks inside the first round of the next two drafts, including 2-3 top 3 level picks.

Big change of direction for the club, but I do think you take what the market offers you some times. If we ended up with another 2-3 flags in the next 10-12 years out of withdrawing from the scrimmage for glory in the short term, it would be well worth it. You have to be what you are. We are not finals cloggers. We have the strongest Grand Final wins v finals losses ratio in the competition over the last 80 years. That is who we are.
Ya know we can emulate the Giants method of drafting/trading. Ever since year 3 they've offloaded former 1st rnd picks who were best 25 not necessarily best 22.
If we do go Down the path with Bolton/Rioli etc and get 7 or so kids in this draft we could very well have similar outcomes down the track which every year gws get an xtra 1st rnd for a best 25 player which inturn rejuvenate our list on the run.

Much appreciated as always, certainly a lot to unfold in the next 2 months IMO.

There will bolters and sliders, and FWIW I think Jagga might slide due to his size.
Bog for our vfl side may change that.

Dockers have picks 7, 10, 14 and 25 at the moment in the draft according to mid-week tackle, very interesting.

From a team perspective it gets interesting because if we get a heap of top gun draftees in this year it gives us advantages down the track for sure including luring others in and we can sell cap space for draft picks

the idea would be in the not to distant future we become a juggernaut

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back