Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would rather hold on to pick 1 unless we get a top 3 pick plus something for it.
Pick 4 and Crows 2025 R1 pick is a fair deal IMO. Crows could be just as bad next year

Suns wont give up future picks, they have multiple academy kids next year.
They want Rioli then that's the asking price I'd go with. They have picks this year they can trade into next year if they need to.

Won't get 3 1st rounders for Bolton.
Again they want Bolton who is contracted then they can pay up.

Can't see eagles trading out of the top 5.
If they want Baker we want a R1 pick. This way, they'd get Baker and likely get Bo Allen as well for a few picks back.

Brisbane will get far better offers than that for their 1st.
Probably but you put the offer forward and if they knock it back you look at other clubs needing points.

I’m not really into gambling with future picks. We will finish low enough to get whoever we want the next few years so why risk it, unless the recruiters know the next drafts are better or something.
Not really gambling. We get 4 R1 picks this year and then are loaded with another 4 R1 picks next year which we can either take to the draft or use to go after a big name trade. It's a no lose situation

DRAFTEE GETS VFL TASTE​

DRAFT prospect Jobe Shanahan will get a chance to show his key position talents when he plays for Essendon's VFL side over the next two weeks.

Shanahan, who was named an All-Australian key forward after his under-18 carnival for the Allies, will debut for the Bombers' VFL team on Saturday against the Northern Bullants.

The versatile and skilful 194cm prospect also trained with the Bombers during the pre-season as part of his Marsh AFL Academy program.

he Bendigo Pioneers prospect played with the Allies during the under-18 championships given he is part of the Moama region.

His fellow Pios' prospect James Barrat made his debut for the Bombers' VFL side last week, having 10 disposals. – Callum Twomey
If he tears it up, the top few picks get thrown into the air all over gain IMO.

According to my calculations there are now 18 players in the top 10

You should try updating a draft board. No shit you are right about 18 names that would easily be top ten. This draft is a gem.

Think you might be disappointed. Poor overhead mark.

FOS is a much better overhead mark than Smilie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know bugger all about respective merits of these guys but Reid has always impressed me more than the rest.

I’m probably wrong but to me, seems a lot to like.

You’re definitely not wrong.

tigs2010 knows how much I love this guy. He’s gonna be a gem. Top 5 for me but I know that’s against some “experts”. Classiest player in it.

hence why we shouldve taken him at the msd. who was it trying to tell me we made the right call not drafting him for free because hed make it to the rookie draft?

That was probably me; I’ll own up to it. Certainly was my view then and still is now.

There’s 65 players for the National Combine, and there’ll be more for the State Combines.

The most selections in a draft in the last few years is 65, and not one National Combine has had every single player who has attended be drafted.

Last year players like Koen Sanchez and Kade De La Rue weren’t picked up despite being at the National Combine (where there’s a minimum requirement for nominations) and most putting second round grades on them.

He still might be drafted in the National Draft, won’t deny the possibility. It may even be by us. But this draft is deep; and personally think there’s a lot more talent at both the wing and third tall/ high half forward positions later in the draft. I think he will be drafted; but I still think that will be the Rookie Draft.

That was probably me; I’ll own up to it. Certainly was my view then and still is now.

There’s 65 players for the National Combine, and there’ll be more for the State Combines.

The most selections in a draft in the last few years is 65, and not one National Combine has had every single player who has attended be drafted.

Last year players like Koen Sanchez and Kade De La Rue weren’t picked up despite being at the National Combine (where there’s a minimum requirement for nominations) and most putting second round grades on them.

He still might be drafted in the National Draft, won’t deny the possibility. It may even be by us. But this draft is deep; and personally think there’s a lot more talent at both the wing and third tall/ high half forward positions later in the draft. I think he will be drafted; but I still think that will be the Rookie Draft.

Where we will probably have pick 1. :)

I guess we wait to see his combine results but I'm tipping he's up there for speed, endurance and agility. he's a rare specimen. There won't be many outside the 20 with his ability AND runs on the board against men.

Last edited:
WHO IS IN THE HUNT TO BE PICK NO. 1?

Talk to recruiters and most of them will give you a list of six or seven names.

There’s no clear standout like Harley Reid this year.

Josh Smillie and Finn O’Sullivan entered the season as the early No. 1 fancies, but haven’t quite lived up to expectations due to form and fitness.

That said, both are still firmly in the mix to be the first player picked in November if they can finish the season strongly.

On form this year, Jagga Smith and Levi Ashcroft (Brisbane Lions father-son) have arguably been standouts, while Sid Draper, Sam Lalor and Luke Trainor also have plenty of fans.

Josh Smillie has been a No. 1 pick fancy since the end of last year. Picture: Getty Images

Josh Smillie has been a No. 1 pick fancy since the end of last year. Picture: Getty Images
IF RICHMOND HAS PICK ONE:

Chris says:
The Tigers have only had one top-10 draft pick in the past 11 years, that being Josh Gibcus (pick 9, 2021). So, new recruiting boss Chris Toce will need to nail this one. Smith – who has been starring in VFL games with the Tigers in recent weeks – oozes class and has begun doing more damage with ball in hand in the second half of the year. He’s on the smaller side for a midfielder at 181cm, but that won’t hold him back. Errol Gulden’s only 175cm. Standing 194cm, Smillie offers a big-body midfield option in the mould of Patrick Cripps which would suit Richmond nicely, while Lalor has Christian Petracca-like traits.

Verdict: I still think the Tigers would be keen on Smillie. Like all young players, he’s got some areas of his game to work on, but the strengths are clear with his ability to win clearances, contested possession and ground ball.

Dan says: Richmond is crying out for talented young midfielders and fortunately the top-end is stacked with them. Smith has dominated at VFL level for Richmond and would probably be playing in their depleted AFL side if he was on their list, while Smillie’s contested ball-winning and monster frame would fill a glaring need. O’Sullivan has the competitive streak and evasiveness that can break a game open, while Lalor has shown he can be a matchwinner in the midfield and up forward.

Verdict: Tough choice between Smith and Smillie but I’m leaning towards Jagga. He’s not only bankable but also has shades of Zak Butters with his ball-winning ability and elusiveness in traffic. Some might say he’s got the moves like Jagga.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back