Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess we wait to see his combine results but I'm tipping he's up there for speed, endurance and agility. he's a rare specimen. There won't be many outside the 20 with his ability AND runs on the board against men.

Not sure on speed but I’d expect him to be competitive in the endurance testing. But that’s a known quantity with him.

His age also a factor, can’t think of too many (actually any but I haven’t looked into it deeply) of his age that were selected in the ND after the MSD came in.

Bloody hell if we were a couple years down the track, I’d love to get Dan Houston on our books. Great player.

It’s unbelievable that’s why I fear holding onto balta he’s literally 5 x battle and McKay who are both millers std

That’s another reason you have to be careful to not completely trade away your ability to compete. Is Balta really going to hang around his entire career if 4-5 years are bottom-4 as we’ve traded most of our elite senior talent?

He might say he’s loyal now, but when godfather offers come from premiership contending teams when he’s in his prime
at 26yo..??

As a club you have to show respect to your current list of senior players with your attitude to compete and not be uncompetitive for years on end.

If the rumours Eagles are into Jack Graham are true, then my ultimate would be to trade Rioli for 11 and 20, let Graham go for pick-22, and retain everyone else.

If we do a points swap with Lions for let’s say pick-18, that gives us:

1, 11, 18, 20, 21, 22 ….only ‘losing’ Rioli and Graham.

Baker and Bolton both have anywhere from 6-8 high quality years left each. There’s no reason they won’t be part of the next successful era, and we are a much better chance of climbing the ladder sooner if they stay whilst at their absolute peak.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That’s another reason you have to be careful to not completely trade away your ability to compete. Is Balta really going to hang around his entire career if 4-5 years are bottom-4 as we’ve traded most of our elite senior talent?

He might say he’s loyal now, but when godfather offers come from premiership contending teams when he’s in his prime
at 26yo..??

As a club you have to show respect to your current list of senior players with your attitude to compete and not be uncompetitive for years on end.

If the rumours Eagles are into Jack Graham are true, then my ultimate would be to trade Rioli for 11 and 20, let Graham go for pick-22, and retain everyone else.

Baker and Bolton both have anywhere from 6-8 high quality years left each. There’s no reason they won’t be part of the next successful era, and we are a much better chance of climbing the ladder sooner if they stay whilst at their absolute peak.

I'd much prefer to keep Rioli over the other two, even if it means we have a slightly worse off hand at the draft table. Bolton's trade value is more than his on-field output and IMO as much as Baker competes (although that's been debatable in recent weeks), he is replaceable.

Rioli is actually highly skilled and consistently dependable. I'd hate for us to trade him for anything less than HUGE overs.

at 26yo..??

11 & 20? Absolutey not. That's madness.
A contracted player that we don't want to lose is worth way way way more than that.

Hope we atleast try play hard ball with the potential bolton, baker and roili trades. None of this rolling over on the first day of trading and letting them go. I want to see freo/gc/wc/etc sweat and THEY are the ones trying to make the deals. If we hold onto their contracts or let baker walk then so be it. It’s important we get full value because we only got one shot this rebuild.

Hope we atleast try play hard ball with the potential bolton, baker and roili trades. None of this rolling over on the first day of trading and letting them go. I want to see freo/gc/wc/etc sweat and THEY are the ones trying to make the deals. If we hold onto their contracts or let baker walk then so be it. It’s important we get full value because we only got one shot this rebuild.
Try and play hardball? That's a given.
We want to keep all 3 players. Bolton and Rioli are contracted and we don't have to trade them.
Baker will want Richmond to be looked after but we have less leverage with him.

If we don't get ridiculously good deals for Rioli and Bolton I will be astounded.
Watch the anti-Richmond media saying this is a fair deal blah blah blah.
No way will we be taking a fair deal. It will have to be miles better than fair.

Pick 4 and Crows 2025 R1 pick is a fair deal IMO. Crows could be just as bad next year

I think in years where there would be a CLEAR Pick 1, like Harley Reid, then yeah that could be a likely scenario, but where there's such a spread of talent across the Top 10 then I think it's unlikely anyone looks to shift up, unless you're GC and trying to get ahead of a bid on Lombard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think in years where there would be a CLEAR Pick 1, like Harley Reid, then yeah that could be a likely scenario, but where there's such a spread of talent across the Top 10 then I think it's unlikely anyone looks to shift up, unless you're GC and trying to get ahead of a bid on Lombard.
What if Adelaide want to ensure they get Draper.

at 26yo..??

You yourself constantly post about picks 11-20 being worth less then people think but want to give up Rioli for 11? I agree that picks are overrated, even in a deep draft.

6 + something is the minimum maybe 11 but at least 20 depending on what we give up in the back end

1. Rioli is contracted and while he’d like to go seems unlikely he’ll force the issue
2. 11 and 20 is already in the media, that means it’s the starting point in negotiations with GC… I.e their worst offer.
3. GC historically struggle to get players to come up, it’s a black hole for opportunities outside footy. When they get one on the line they either overpay in salary or trade capital
4. Their academy bonuses let them they take more risks with trading high picks
5. They’ve never made finals, they have to, Dimma has to next year, the pressure is starting to come, a second top 10 pick (on top of Lombard) isn’t going to help. Rioli will.
6. Adam saad who isn’t quite as good but a year younger went for 8.

IMO with the players it’s being suggested to leave (especially since none sound like they’ll push to leave) we need to come away with 2 of the best mids from the group

Draper/Fos/Smith/Smillie/lalor/ried and at worst one of the above and Langford/Travaglia

We also need to try for Armstrong KPP or at worst Faull/Shanaham/Whitlock (probably two of we miss Armstrong)

Plus hope for Hotton/Berry.

That’s probably at least 2 top 8 picks, another 8-15 and all up 5 top 20-25.

Personally id give up 2025 f2 and f3 to GC for 6+11 and maybe 20 depending on their appetite, and use 20,21,22 to move back into the first/second round in 2025.

Dattoli. We could use all the forwards we can get tbh.
We don't need any small, marking forwards who aren't quick. Berry, Hotton, bid on Champion, maybe Mentha and the SA NGA lad whose name slips my mind. Blistering pace and skill, thanks.

at 26yo..??

I'm with you in principle. But I think Baker's gone, and if we are to let Rioli go it must be for 6 and 11, even if we have to give something back or pay some of his wage. 6 amd 20 at the absolute minimum, and that's with nothing going back in picks or dollars.

It would have to be a monster offer to trade Shai. None of Freo's picks will get us any of the top six kids in the draft. As deep as this draft is, are we happy to trade a matchwinner with up to a decade left for two or three second-tier kids?

We don't have leverage with Baker, other than him loving the club and wanting to ensure we get a fair deal. But the other two, I think you can rest assured we won't trade them for anything less than clear overs.

Good post, except this nonsense. Saad is nowhere near as good.
Yeah I know, was trying to sound balanced and provide prior indication of what the value for a good half back is for a team that needs one for its push up the ladder. Rioli in my book is an elite half back especially in a team that’s going.

I'd much prefer to keep Rioli over the other two, even if it means we have a slightly worse off hand at the draft table. Bolton's trade value is more than his on-field output and IMO as much as Baker competes (although that's been debatable in recent weeks), he is replaceable.

Rioli is actually highly skilled and consistently dependable. I'd hate for us to trade him for anything less than HUGE overs.
Not downplaying Rioli who is a very talented hb ,but he turns 28 next year, so 3-4 years left in him. We’ve seen how quickly age caught up with Shedda, Cotch, Dusty . Now is the time to trade him, we won’t get this offer again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back