Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They don't have enough talent to trade two early picks to get one kid in an even draft just because he's a home-towner. They're not the Suns.

You're dreaming.
No kidding. No point being much different to everyone else in here who seems to believe every trade is a big win for Richmond and the opposition clubs are just going to have to bend over and cop it.

WHO IS IN THE HUNT TO BE PICK NO. 1?

Talk to recruiters and most of them will give you a list of six or seven names.

There’s no clear standout like Harley Reid this year.

Josh Smillie and Finn O’Sullivan entered the season as the early No. 1 fancies, but haven’t quite lived up to expectations due to form and fitness.

That said, both are still firmly in the mix to be the first player picked in November if they can finish the season strongly.

On form this year, Jagga Smith and Levi Ashcroft (Brisbane Lions father-son) have arguably been standouts, while Sid Draper, Sam Lalor and Luke Trainor also have plenty of fans.

Josh Smillie has been a No. 1 pick fancy since the end of last year. Picture: Getty Images

Josh Smillie has been a No. 1 pick fancy since the end of last year. Picture: Getty Images
IF RICHMOND HAS PICK ONE:

Chris says:
The Tigers have only had one top-10 draft pick in the past 11 years, that being Josh Gibcus (pick 9, 2021). So, new recruiting boss Chris Toce will need to nail this one. Smith – who has been starring in VFL games with the Tigers in recent weeks – oozes class and has begun doing more damage with ball in hand in the second half of the year. He’s on the smaller side for a midfielder at 181cm, but that won’t hold him back. Errol Gulden’s only 175cm. Standing 194cm, Smillie offers a big-body midfield option in the mould of Patrick Cripps which would suit Richmond nicely, while Lalor has Christian Petracca-like traits.

Verdict: I still think the Tigers would be keen on Smillie. Like all young players, he’s got some areas of his game to work on, but the strengths are clear with his ability to win clearances, contested possession and ground ball.

Dan says: Richmond is crying out for talented young midfielders and fortunately the top-end is stacked with them. Smith has dominated at VFL level for Richmond and would probably be playing in their depleted AFL side if he was on their list, while Smillie’s contested ball-winning and monster frame would fill a glaring need. O’Sullivan has the competitive streak and evasiveness that can break a game open, while Lalor has shown he can be a matchwinner in the midfield and up forward.

Verdict: Tough choice between Smith and Smillie but I’m leaning towards Jagga. He’s not only bankable but also has shades of Zak Butters with his ball-winning ability and elusiveness in traffic. Some might say he’s got the moves like Jagga.

Said it earlier, I'll be happy with any of them, i just hope we have more than 1 or 2 first round picks.

Possible scenario if we finish with pick 1 and Baker Bolton and Rioli want out.

Trade pick 1 to Adelaide for their R1 pick and 2025 R1 pick.

Trade Rioli to Suns for 6 & 2025 R1 pick.

Trade Bolton to Fremantle for 7, 16 & 2025 R1 pick

Trade Baker & 7 to WCE for pick 3 & 23

Trade 36, 39 & 41 to Brisbane for 17 & 55

Trade 54, 55, 57, 63 & 68 to club needing points this year for a 2025 R1 or R2 pick

Head to 2024 draft with 3, 4, 6, 16, 21, 23.

Head into 2025 with
Our R1 pick
Adelaide R1 pick
Gold Coast R1 pick
Fremantle R1 pick

Gives us 4 first round picks in each draft over next 2 years.
Richmond should hire you as apart of the recruitment team. Lol

Not downplaying Rioli who is a very talented hb ,but he turns 28 next year, so 3-4 years left in him. We’ve seen how quickly age caught up with Shedda, Cotch, Dusty . Now is the time to trade him, we won’t get this offer again.
Agreed and you cant covet hbfers in a rebuilding team, we need to be able to get these kids games and lets be honest hbf is one of if not the easiest spot on the ground.

Berry's recent shift into the midfield has given draft watchers a lot to think about. He's not a prolific clearance winner at this stage, but his elite evasive skills allow him to navigate traffic from inside to out and convert stoppage wins by his team into damaging possessions. He still splits his time between midfield and his old forward role, and remains one of the most damaging players in this years pool inside the forward 50.

Berry's recent shift into the midfield has given draft watchers a lot to think about. He's not a prolific clearance winner at this stage, but his elite evasive skills allow him to navigate traffic from inside to out and convert stoppage wins by his team into damaging possessions. He still splits his time between midfield and his old forward role, and remains one of the most damaging players in this years pool inside the forward 50.

This guy and Hotton need to be in our sights if we are losing Dan and Shai.

Not downplaying Rioli who is a very talented hb ,but he turns 28 next year, so 3-4 years left in him. We’ve seen how quickly age caught up with Shedda, Cotch, Dusty . Now is the time to trade him, we won’t get this offer again.
As I said, I'm not 100% against trading him, but I would need more than a 'dollar for dollar' value if he's leaving. 11 and 20 isn't good enough for me.

Admittedly it's not far off but that would be a disappointing result if thats what we got back.

Either their two earliest firsts, or something like:

11 + 20 + 2025 1st
for
Rioli + 2025 2nd

Agreed and you cant covet hbfers in a rebuilding team, we need to be able to get these kids games and lets be honest hbf is one of if not the easiest spot on the ground.
It might be, but Rioli is one of if not the best at it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His ankles are basically perpetually rooted. He plays through it you can tell which is heroic but doesn't bode well for longevitiy.
They've been perpetually rooted for seven years now.

I'm with Willo, we'll get overs and probably sell, but he's a contracted champion so we should.

He's not.
Hypothetically, you reckon he's got 7 years in him, would you sign him for 7 and risk him breaking down while also knowing your returns on a trade are diminishing every year older he gets. Or trade now and get some young guns in with 15 years ahead of them. To me it's pretty clear cut.

Lovely little player, can see some similarities to Dylan Moore

Hypothetically, you reckon he's got 7 years in him, would you sign him for 7 and risk him breaking down while also knowing your returns on a trade are diminishing every year older he gets. Or trade now and get some young guns in with 15 years ahead of them. To me it's pretty clear cut.
I wouldn't sign any rising 28-year-old for seven years. I said he had 4-7.

And as much as I love him I'd trade him for the overs we can squeeze from the Black Hole Suns.

I wouldn't sign any rising 28-year-old for seven years. I said he had 4-7.

And as much as I love him I'd trade him for the overs we can squeeze from the Black Hole Suns.
That's what I mean, we shouldn't be confident in any players output post 30. We get 2 first rounders for him now we are massive winners in the scope of our rebuild phase. He's a great player but he's not going to be shielding the youth like Hopper or TT, if anything he'll be taking a spot on the ground that you'd want to push a young gun kid through.

Hypothetically.
Whilst we have so much WA trade bait, should we have a crack at Harley Reid?
We have
Pick 1 or 2
Bolton
Baker
F1, F2
I’m not advocating trading all these but possibly a substantial portion. If a Rioli trade is completed prior we could add the picks received as part of the offerings.
Thoughts?

Hypothetically.
Whilst we have so much WA trade bait, should we have a crack at Harley Reid?
We have
Pick 1 or 2
Bolton
Baker
F1, F2
I’m not advocating trading all these but possibly a substantial portion. If a Rioli trade is completed prior we could add the picks received as part of the offerings.
Thoughts?
You'd have to pay too much at this point given he has a 3 year deal (2 to go)

Richmond should hire you as apart of the recruitment team. Lol
Given the way some carry on about our recruitment team, coaching, strength & conditioning and so on, us keyboard heroes couldn't do any worse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back