Mega Thread Trade Targets 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Personally, I have no idea if mid round compensation exists, but did read somewhere about that being possible instead of pick 3.
Was just a thought anyway as I rate Trengove as the better target for us out of Grimes, Toumpas & Watts being the other Dees thrown up as bait.

If the Dees get pick 11 for Frawley, We could offer pick 6 for 11 & Jack Trengove (if as rumoured to be on the table are true). Only just turned 23, former pick 2 & captain. Has been injured this year, but has played 80 games over 5 seasons. We could then use pick 11 for Mitchell & maybe pick 38. This would sort out the mids, still leaving pick 26 for Jaksch. We can then try & upgrade picks 38 & 44 for mid-late 20 picks using Robbo, Lucas & Warnock. Thoughts?
I'm a fan of the stretegy, but would make the following changes:
Pick 6 + Pick 26 + Robinson (or Warnock) = Pick 11 + Pick 21 + Trengove + Blease
Pick 11 = Mitchell and Membrey
Pick 21 = Jacksh

Two picks and a fringe player = 5 players (3 mids and 2 talls)

I'd also be trying to send Warnock to Essendon to cover the loss of Ryder, not sure what i'd want in return.

http://www.afl.com.au/afl-hq/the-afl-explained/free-agency

no mid-first round band. Just first round, or end of first round.
The mid-band stuff has come from a discussion about how the panel has an assessment of what the formula suggests and may change it if it doesnt "feel right". They apparently have the option to make band 1 compensation into a mid round pick if they feel a pick tied to the first pick is too high for that specific player.

Edit: "In applying the formula, an expert committee reviews the formula outcomes. The committee has the power to recommend alternative outcomes to GM – Football Operations where the formula produces a materially anomalous result."

The mid-band stuff has come from a discussion about how the panel has an assessment of what the formula suggests and may change it if it doesnt "feel right". They apparently have the option to make band 1 compensation into a mid round pick if they feel a pick tied to the first pick is too high for that specific player.

Edit: "In applying the formula, an expert committee reviews the formula outcomes. The committee has the power to recommend alternative outcomes to GM – Football Operations where the formula produces a materially anomalous result."
perfect. Mid first round feels right for Frawley yeah??? Considering we only got 1st round for Ward who signed a deal as big (likely bigger) than Frawley and was only 22 at the time (age is one of the few factors taken into consideration).

perfect. Mid first round feels right for Frawley yeah??? Considering we only got 1st round for Ward who signed a deal as big (likely bigger) than Frawley and was only 22 at the time (age is one of the few factors taken into consideration).
Given Melbourne position, pick 11 feels about right.

I would suspect the panel has to say "would any club be willing to pay pick 3 for Frawley if it were to be a normal trade".....given the resounding answer is no, then a pick after all non-finalists seems pretty much bang on what the compensation should be.

Dee's fans couldnt complain about pick 11 (given hawks only got pick 19 or 20 for the 10 million dollar man), and the rest of the league wouldnt be filthy on them for getting a top 5 pick.

If we can land Laverde , Jaksch and Jones this off seasonI'll be pretty pleased with our work .

Simpson Jamison Jaksch
Touhy Rowe Docherty
Yarran Cripps Laverde
Walker Henderson Thomas
Menzel Jones Casboult

Kruezer Gibbs Murphy

Judd Everitt Curnow Bell/Buckley/Graham

If we can land Laverde , Jaksch and Jones this off seasonI'll be pretty pleased with our work .

Simpson Jamison Jaksch
Bucks Rowe Docherty
Yarran Cripps Laverde
Walker Henderson Thomas
Menzel Jones Casboult

Kruezer Gibbs Murphy

Judd Everitt Curnow Bell/Buckley/Graham
Put Bucks in for 2e on the half back line and I like it. Reckon if Crippa has a big pre-season, we should back him in from R1 and pump as many games into him as he can handle. Has the class, just needs the game time to adjust to the level.

That is a very good (potentially Top 4 side) that could push top 8 in 2015 if it stays on the field for 75% of the year.

Could rotate Jones/Watson/White and an extra mid (Bell/Graham) in that spot depending on opposition (Mick is big on 'horses for courses') and gives us huge versatility with Everitt, 1AW and Jaksch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not to mention the Hawks have won a flag without one and seem to do pretty well even when rookies are their only option. Most overrated position now in the AFL and the reason why we looked so much better with Cam Wood over Warnock simply because he was more mobile and could cover more ground. Unless you have something special like a Sandi or NicNat with something that makes them incredibly hard to match up on, dont want. Give me someone who can mark and kick with an engine first, who will provide a contest in the middle 2nd and im happy. Warnock would have been great 20 years ago. The games too fast now, athletes have too many attributes that you cant just be a tap ruckman anymore.

IF we did land Jaksch, he has played less than 10 games in 2 years, are we expecting too much of him? Casboult, Henderson and Jaksch if Waite goes. Would still like to see Walker down there as he is our Gunston, Jones could give some development space to Jaksch IF we happen to land them both and what of Watson, was his last game a one off ( I hope not)

Is Jaksch a forward or backman?
I have as a forward that has had to play back due to how many key targets GWS have wanted to play.
Every chance (if we get him) he will spend time down back. But I would really like to put him in the forward line and leave him there.
Started as a forward as a junior, but played a fair bit as a KPD in his TAC year. Was pretty much drafted as a swingman.

I'm a fan of the stretegy, but would make the following changes:
Pick 6 + Pick 26 + Robinson (or Warnock) = Pick 11 + Pick 21 + Trengove + Blease
Pick 11 = Mitchell and Membrey
Pick 21 = Jacksh

Two picks and a fringe player = 5 players (3 mids and 2 talls)

I'd also be trying to send Warnock to Essendon to cover the loss of Ryder, not sure what i'd want in return.

Heppell, nothing lesso_O

IF we did land Jaksch, he has played less than 10 games in 2 years, are we expecting too much of him? Casboult, Henderson and Jaksch if Waite goes. Would still like to see Walker down there as he is our Gunston, Jones could give some development space to Jaksch IF we happen to land them both and what of Watson, was his last game a one off ( I hope not)
It would have to be a fairly.... delusional(?) person to think Jaksch is being recruited to come in and immediately dominate whatever position he plays for us and take us to #17.

He is a kid. A key position-type too, so we shouldn't be expecting the world just yet.

I think you are right in being concerned about a lack of experience up forward and I think this just adds weight to the opinion that Walker will spend time up forward next year to help out.

The club has to address a list that is top-heavy in older talent. Kids like Jaksch help that, as do Cripps, Graham, Sheehan et al. I think these are the guys who are going to have between 50-100 games under their belt when CFC next makes a grand final.

Jaksch is also pretty under developed physically. Hasn't filled out much at all. Doesn't look ready to help win afl games any time soon.
That's actually one of the reasons he wants to come. The idea of being supported by Lachie and Levi (forward) or Rowe and Jamo (defence) appeals to him. At other clubs he knows he won't have that much mature support around him and he thinks it will hurt his development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back