Trade Week. 10-17 October.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
think we can forget about getting too much for bower/setanta. setanta could be a poor man's leigh brown, maybe a fringe player swap there (mccarthy).

lol at lack of opportunities for bower. gave the team a lack of opportunity to select him. dylan roberton is probably the best we could hope for.

What? IMO, what he's talking about and what you seem to be angry about are two completely different things. We're not going to shop players around or force anyone to leave to get Goddard, as we're happy with the quality of our young players and will back ourselves to develop them. Bower on the other hand, has had limited opportunity due to injuries and actually WANTS to leave. We're not forcing him out :confused:

FWIW, it's fantastic to hear Swann say that. A good club will always back itself to develop from within, as you pay a premium for someone who is already good - whereas if you develop your own, you take a less costly asset (young kid/draft pick) and leverage your own skills (developing players) and finish with a similar result. Not speaking about Goddard particularly - #1 draft pick and star player - but in general.

Yes, written in anger. I am just very disappointed about losing Bower. I think he is just a really good player who hasn't even realised his potential. My guess, and it is only a guess, he wasn't made to feel like he has a future with the club and not given enough incentives. My point, is that we should always consolidate and develop the talent we have first and work hard at keeping them. What's the point of getting new talent through the front door of the club when someone leaves the back door open? I just get the feeling a trade involving Bower won't work out well for us.

In hindsight, the Crows completely botched last years Trade Week. Carlton got the highly talented Pat McCarthy in the draft for our 3rd string ruck who was only ever going to play in the VFL anyway, and the Crows coughed up excessive draft picks for Tambling, while at the same time missing out on the real gem of trade week - Andrew Walker. It ended up being a total disaster for the Crows. You wouldn't want to repeat the same mistakes this year.

:)

They could have done a Vossy, that would have had more long term repercussions.

Players associated with Carlton:
Dylan Roberton
Brian Lake
Koby Stevens
Chris Knights
Danyle Pearce

Only interest there would be Stevens, and even then I've never seen the kid play.

Roberton has list clogger written all over him. Pask has been adamant that Lake would stay, not that we should need that as a deterrent. Knights looks like his break out year was in fact a once off, and Pearce simply doesn't fit culturally (cue racist)...a lazy, lazy footballer who extracts about one tenth of his talent.

Only interest there would be Stevens, and even then I've never seen the kid play.

Roberton has list clogger written all over him. Pask has been adamant that Lake would stay, not that we should need that as a deterrent. Knights looks like his break out year was in fact a once off, and Pearce simply doesn't fit culturally (cue racist)...a lazy, lazy footballer who extracts about one tenth of his talent.

They're names that have come up and have some foundation to them.
Nothing to do with my opinions at all.

Roberton may just be our trade for Bower.
Pearce has also been strongly linked. We'll wait for the sigs before any announcement. :)

Kobe stevens is avg at best currently. Bower> stevens so exchange of picks may have to occur as well.

Obviously you don't realise he was compared to Dustin Martin before the draft and people were thinking there was every chance Stevens would get picked up earlier. Then he had OP. Slid to our pick and can't break into the team because Priddis is in his position. Who's your Priddis ? Stevens is a very good player who will rack up massive tackle amounts because of his hardness and body size.

I rate Bower highly so would like to see the Eagles get him but not at the expense of Stevens.

Bower is around pick 20-28ish value. Freo's 2nd round pick won't be enough, and their first round pick is too much. Something in between.. maybe their 2nd round pick, and an upgrading of our first round pick. Maybe involving their comp pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Year or two in the gym??? Doesn't he already hold all of the weight room records?

The knock on Bower in recent months on this board and other has been nothing short of ridiculous...it is all injury related, if he was able to continue his plane of development post 2009 who knows where he could be now.

Will be very angry if he is let go for next to nicks.

Even with his injury issues this guy should draw a sub 25 pick, but just can't see that happening.

Exactly. He was a genuinely good defender before the quad injuries kicked in. Some continuity in his game and he's easily an AFL standard player.

Will be pissed if we get nothing for him and losing Jacobs for well under value last year.

No way would Freo agree to that.

Bower and #22 for Freo's pick #16 is closer to the mark. Freo's pick in the 30's by itself would probably suffice.

Youre underrating Pauly there mate.

He's worth more than a six pick upgrade.

He'll play 200 games no worries. He finshed 7th in a B&F a few years back playing (out of position) at CHB as an undersized 20 year old.

He's AFL quality.

And his injuries are not systemic soft tissue injuries or a chronic thing like a recurring joint injury.

Just bad luck... And at the wrong time with Hendo, Jamison and Yarran finding brilliant form down back, and Duigan and Laidler sezing opportunities.

On his own and given the circumstances he's worth an early second rounder.

Bower i can understand but we will get shit for him even though i think fit he is a good player. I think the MC have fallen out of favour with him.

Setanta i dont know why we want to get rid of him when he has a role to play, we have literally no KPP back ups if Waite goes down. And relying on Mitchell and or Casboult to come through. We need desperatly KpF to have any chance of winning a flag in the next few years.

Won't get one either the thing is we are not a middle of the road side anymore, so with this in mind i think we have buckleys of winning a flag.

Unless Kreuzer kicks us 50 to 60 goals a season, and we have no injuries which is virtually impossible. Waite is to injury prone and hence you are relying on Mitchell and or Casboult to come on quickly. Cant see that happening at least for 2 years or so.

In my opinion we have recruited badly in this area in the last few years for the exception of Kennedy who we had no choice to trade. Over reliance on mids! Then you have Ratten saying that he wants more mids!

Obviously you don't realise he was compared to Dustin Martin before the draft and people were thinking there was every chance Stevens would get picked up earlier.

Billy Nicholls was compared to Jonathon Brown before the draft a number of years ago.

What's your point?

Obviously you don't realize that once they enter the AFL system, the pick they were selected at and how they were rated as a junior, mean close to **** all.

The extent to which West Coast supporters overrate Stevens is sickening.

Obviously you don't realise he was compared to Dustin Martin before the draft and people were thinking there was every chance Stevens would get picked up earlier. Then he had OP. Slid to our pick and can't break into the team because Priddis is in his position. Who's your Priddis ? .....

Fortunately we don't have a Priddis. Don't want one either thanks.

Amazes me the talk up of Stevens from eagles supporters.
Couldn't win a spot ahead of Masten , Hams etc.
I've seen a lot of this guy at wafl level and he was far from impressive.
Good size about him but does not impose himself at contests.
I have read about a possible swap for Lucas, the Blues would be getting reamed with that deal

What else are they? :confused:

Has suffered multiple shoulder and quad injuries, has he not?

'A' niggling quad injury, and 'a' shoulder injury that took him ten weeks to bounce back from.

Not indicative of chronic injuries.

Its not like his hammies keep going (Lucas to date) or his shoulder keeps popping out (Walker pre-operation) or his groins are shot robbing him of pace (Mclean, to an extent Judd).

If we are offered pick 38 for Pauly then i think we've got an even deal.

Remember, Robinson was taken at pick 40. You can still find decent players at that place in the draft. Especially slow developing talls.

Just say Adelaide do become interested, how about a 3-way deal where:
Bower > Adelaide
Maric > Richmond
........> Carlton

I've hit a stumbling block finding something that Richmond could offer in the exchange. Their #14 pick is too steep, #37 not enough IMO.

I was thinking the same.... Tyrone Vickery would prob be our target, but we'd prob have to cough up a draft pick aswell..... and I dont think Richmond will be keen to let him go.

'A' niggling quad injury, and 'a' shoulder injury that took him ten weeks to bounce back from.

Not indicative of chronic injuries.

Its not like his hammies keep going (Lucas to date) or his shoulder keeps popping out (Walker pre-operation) or his groins are shot robbing him of pace (Mclean, to an extent Judd).

He's suffered 3-4 soft tissue injuries in the past year and a not, in memory serves (which it mightn't). I'm a bit rap for Bower but injuries are an issue. Don't think he's had an injury free season at the club other than 2009 (and even then missed a couple games).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back