Trade Week. 10-17 October.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we are offered pick 38 for Pauly then i think we've got an even deal.

Remember, Robinson was taken at pick 40. You can still find decent players at that place in the draft. Especially slow developing talls.

We're not in the market for a slow developing tall. Last I looked, we're aiming for a flag in 2012, not 2016.

Whatever Bower's injuries are, he's basically missed two years with it. Pretty difficult to dress that one up

Much prefer to sweet talk him back into staying, because reckon when fit he's easily in our 22, but as trade bait we ain't going to get much from his history over the last 2 years.

Perhaps a trade between Carlton, Freo & WC might be the way forward?

Carlton
Bower > Fremantle

Fremantle
Palmer compo pick > West Coast

West Coast
Stevens > Carlton

Advantage for us would be he'd be playing 3rd tall in defense behind Rutten and Talia with McKernan and Otten also able to play those taller roles (though he's a bit like Otten, just more accountable and less dynamic).

Would be a good spot for him I believe. But I'm not sure our two clubs are on speaking terms again :D Though I'm not sure how much of that was Icke....

Third tall is basically Bower's best position... unfortunately for him, we picked up Laidler and he exploded onto the scene this season and has stepped up as the third tall and has also proved capable of playing as our second tall defender when needed. This has restricted Bower's opportunities at the well this year and therefore he is seeking pastures green.

Personally, I think that there is a touch of homesickness in there as well with a bit of a go home factor. I think that we might be looking at trading Bower for Koby Stevens at the Eagles with the usual trading of picks. I think that with a new club and a different training regime, he might come along well.

We're not in the market for a slow developing tall. Last I looked, we're aiming for a flag in 2012, not 2016.

Gift Horses...?

I'm sure we'll take at least one more player as well as Dylan who will probably need a little time. What you lose on the swings, you make up on the roundabout and all that.

Agreed, our window is open now, not 2016.

Our window is opening from next year onwards. I still think 2013 may actually be the year where we can start to dominate properly.

We need Watson and McCarthy to show their worth like Reid did for the Pies. That does take those KPP around 3 years in the system before they really get used to the AFL.

Our window is opening from next year onwards. I still think 2013 may actually be the year where we can start to dominate properly.

We need Watson and McCarthy to show their worth like Reid did for the Pies. That does take those KPP around 3 years in the system before they really get used to the AFL.

I'm actually hoping Mitchell comes on and plays some senior footy next year, but I see your point.

It got tiring about 5 years ago.

agreed, while it would be nice from a romantic point of view... getting the guy we should have always had back to the club. I would hate to think of what might have been if we had picked up Goddard under Pagan. Would have probably had him playing full back on gorilla's and smashed all the confidence out of him.

I'm actually hoping Mitchell comes on and plays some senior footy next year, but I see your point.

Just keep thinking of the Dawes and Reid combination.

Mitchell and Watson should be firing in 2013 and only Scotland from our current list of players should be on the outer due to age.

I can see Lucas potentially taking the Scotland role and hopefully we draft an inside midfielder to reduce the need for Ellard to play that role.

agreed, while it would be nice from a romantic point of view... getting the guy we should have always had back to the club. I would hate to think of what might have been if we had picked up Goddard under Pagan. Would have probably had him playing full back on gorilla's and smashed all the confidence out of him.

Geez you gave me visuals, stop it! :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

can anyone confirm if the saints are actually over the cap ?
if so, i find it odd that the AFL aint doing anything other than warn them of some sort
we coped it hard years ago and nothing to st kilda

can anyone confirm if the saints are actually over the cap ?
if so, i find it odd that the AFL aint doing anything other than warn them of some sort
we copped it hard years ago and nothing to st kilda

According to Pelchen today, they are.
They just have to deal with the AFL to get the numbers back where they should be.
As long as they're not hiding anything and get things back in order, the AFL won't go in too hard.

According to Pelchen today, they are.
They just have to deal with the AFL to get the numbers back where they should be.
As long as they're not hiding anything and get things back in order, the AFL won't go in too hard.

The AFL just increased the cap and TPP by 7%.

Dont think that the Aints is over the cap any more. But they might be in a little bit of trouble for this year.

Amazes me the talk up of Stevens from eagles supporters.
Couldn't win a spot ahead of Masten , Hams etc.
I've seen a lot of this guy at wafl level and he was far from impressive.
Good size about him but does not impose himself at contests.

I have read about a possible swap for Lucas, the Blues would be getting reamed with that deal
Surely you are just making this up?

I am an East freo fan, one of his biggest plusses is that he has a suicidal attack on the ball. He also finished top 10 in the Sandover medal count.

WC don't want or need Bower and Stevens is under contract.

Just keep thinking of the Dawes and Reid combination.

Mitchell and Watson should be firing in 2013 and only Scotland from our current list of players should be on the outer due to age.

I can see Lucas potentially taking the Scotland role and hopefully we draft an inside midfielder to reduce the need for Ellard to play that role.

I like those calls man. Just from watching Watson's limited gametime in the AFL and the VFL highlights etc, there's no doubting he is a seriously talented kicker in the Suckling vein, I just hope he comes back into form again. I also like the idea of Ellard not having to play the inside midfielder role, he seems to be a very creative inside the forward line and from his experience in the midfield would make an excellent defensive/tagging forward in my opinion, as he has the ability to neutralise opponents, win his own ball and also kick accurately at goal.

If Lucas comes on in 2012, I think Scotland should definitely start grooming him for that position. As you rightly said, he could take that position as he has that calm and controlled manner of possessing the ball and can definitely make for a possible replacement. I also think people are underestimating the potential growth Chris Yarran will have next season.

So basically I'm not so sure why people are obsessed with linking us to Goddard and so forth. Carlton has confidence in its recruits from 2010 and the spine they are setting up, and they are the people who are with the guys all the time. If they trust them, we should too...

Besides, I think their issues continue even with the increase. They had already factored that in (probably within a certain range. they would have some idea before the announcement

My understanding with the Saints cap is that they have until the end of the month to sort it out. .. Which means shedding some cost in trade week or renegotiating contracts. .. No source other than media reports. ..

As for the Bower trade, I like the post below. ..

Just say Adelaide do become interested, how about a 3-way deal where:
Bower > Adelaide
Maric > Richmond
........> Carlton

I've hit a stumbling block finding something that Richmond could offer in the exchange. Their #14 pick is too steep, #37 not enough IMO.

I'd have it something like:

Carlton (Bower); Richmond (P14) > Adelaide
Adelaide (Maric); Carlton (P22) > Richmond
Adelaide (Pick 10, 35) > Carlton

Its hard to balance but it seems fair. ..

Surely you are just making this up?

I am an East freo fan, one of his biggest plusses is that he has a suicidal attack on the ball. He also finished top 10 in the Sandover medal count.

WC don't want or need Bower and Stevens is under contract.

Mind listing your third talls?

The names are escaping me at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back