Training 25th January - Scratch match vs Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

Got there at 8.30 this morning with the tipoff that we'd be suiting up for a scratch match against the Tigers. The little Henry and I watched the senior boys going at a solid session(Friartuck and djboonie joined us later), with Hodge running the boundary and doing sets with one of the fitness staff while pretty much all the other senior players were accounted for out on the park(Ellis not to be seen until late, sporting a compression bandage on the left calf).

Nigel Lappin(Geelong) was there for a bit of a look-see.

Rough was with the main group when I got there, doing the drills and looking fine. He later separated from the group and spent some time in the pocket with Monky standing under the drop of the ball and trying to hold his postion. He also then did some running with one of the fitness staff, ala Hodge.
Looking good, is the Smoothnut.

Gilham trained with the main group also, then did some extra laps once everyone went in.

Lowden and Grimley trained with the main senior group, with Grimley leading the running of the 400m at two separate instances. Has a very good running style. Motram-like.

Of the senior players Bud and Cyril were their usual selves. Cyril plucking a nice one handed mark, like we saw down in Tassie a season or two ago. Franko just popping them from 50 with nonchalant ease.

There were numerous drills set up in the session, with some work on stoppages and breaking to the open side, and also some work on scoring forward stoppages deep in the pockets.

At about 9am the youngsters came out, and started to warm up for the scratch match(Richmond boys had been there from the time I got there down on the boundary).

The squad we rolled out was Smith, Bruest, Suckling, Bailey, Frank, Wanganeen, Kelly, Culkin, Woodward, Hallahan, Schnieder, Savage, Patto, Gunston, Cheney, Schoey, Langers, Puopolo, Hill, Duryea and Litherland.

Woodward just finds the ball in the packs, he really impressed me around the stoppages. He's also quite good above the head, as seen in his pre-draft highlights. I think we have found a good one here.
Bruest got involved quite a bit, and Wanganeen was really sharp and lively. Hill has some toe, gets the to the right spots but burns the ball.
Frank came on and got us a little excited with some tackles and some zip. He has the 'matrix-like' time that Cyril does, where he can stop and measure up where he has the space to move to quicker than the guys around him.
It was a pretty scrappy game at times, and seemed to lift a bit in intensity as it went on.
Gunston wasn't involved in a lot, but looks to be well suited to that lead up role that Dixon/Boyle/Willo have played over the years.
Smith was his usual self, Savage looks like he's had a really good preseason, and Kelly reminds me of a young Tom Harley.

It was hard to draw too many conclusions from the game, but overall our boys looked quite good and fit. Richmonds boys certainly let themselves down with some very sloppy disposals.

I'm sure I'll think of more to report.

Good write up Echols. Liked the Culkin call as well. Apologies for being antisocial.

Managed to sneak away from work and get there.

Suckling, Smith, Puopolo, Savage, Breust the most prolific for mine. All looked great. Suckers kicking amazing at times. Smith a running machine. Breust couple of ripping opportunistic goals.

Wangers did some great things. Still not quite sure he bodylines the ball enough though but added some good bite and pace and couple of good tackles.

Hill you summed up perfectly. Can win the ball and run into space but he just isnt on top of his kicking yet. He is a good prospect though but very light and scrappy with his kicking.

Frank did some great things. Moves like Cameron Stokes but is a better kick (prefers to kick too whereas Stokes was a handballer) and more creative - agree he has time to play with. Good tackler too.

Gunston really nice hands which is great. Not sure whether he was going at half pace at times as lacked intensity a couple of times. Still has a fair bit of development left in him but looks a smart mover.

Litherland solid in defence - very vocal. Good mover. Didnt win a heap of it but some good touches. He will be a good fixture in defence for us in the next few years.

Langers was ok. Thought he was a bit quicker?

Schneider some good quick hands at stoppages.

Hallahan was great. Plenty of it and some hard work in close. Played on Grigg and gave him a bit of niggle. Missed a few targets under pressure but plenty of Tigers players behind the ball.

Woodward - he is a ripper this kid. Stood under a high ball at one stage and took a strong overhead mark. Good strong body and good footy brain.

Bailey was ok around the ground. Still struggles to hold his ground at marking contests. Was up forward and rucking.

Pattison reads it ok up forward but is a battler around the ground and in the ruck.

Macaulay Culkin played up forward a fair bit and didnt get near it. Just servicable when in the ruck.

Duryea couple of smart things by foot but not a whole heap of it. Played up back mainly.

Kelly has a good strong build. Looks like he knows how to get to the right spots which is great but the intensity a bit too much for him at this stage.

Schoey won a fair bit of it up back and used it really well. Still half a pace off getting to contests defensively at times.

The highlight for mine was Grimley's running before the match practice. He was having a massive crack and leading his group time and time again. He is a great prospect. Youngy looked great leading the other group.

The boys have definately put on some muscle too. Stronger than last year.

I have long been a moaner that we are not strong enough. The tigs were comfortably bigger across the chest and arms than our guys. Initially, I thought we were doing some cross training with a rugby league team such was the difference. The tigs looked intimidating until the game started.

Woodward and Hallahan were very good in tight. Two nuggety buggars that can hold their ground. Hallahan's disposal needs work, or confidence. Woodward is your classic MoneyBall recruit. He has the game but was overlooked as he is a short rrs.

Langers played deep defence. His positional play is very very good. He was regularly getting pushed in the back. Again needs more polish on his disposal.

Suckers kicking has gone past being sublime. It is sublimer. His ability to destroy a zone and put someone in space is what makes this guy starting 18.

The Jack played the running HFF. He has very sure hands and moves well. Happy.

Bruester just walks to where the ball is and kicks goals, as we already know. I saw him do one huge chase and then take a really gutsy mark. He looks to have STEPPED IT UP. Throw away the lid.

Isacc Smith showed last year was no fluke.

The soon to be 'Famous' Amos played HFF and had a run on the ball. Couple of nice things. Very well balanced player.

Schoe played FB. Got exposed a few times. Not sure what we are doing with him. He appears to play off his opponent and only make contact in the actual marking contest. When it comes off it allows him to mark the ball, when it doesn't he gets outmarked.

It will be interesting to see who signs Deledio next season.

I have long been a moaner that we are not strong enough. The tigs were comfortably bigger across the chest and arms than our guys. Initially, I thought we were doing some cross training with a rugby league team such was the difference. The tigs looked intimidating until the game started.]

Thanks everyone for these excellent reports.

I have also thought that our KP players have been too light in recent years and particularly this pre-season. Buddy was much bigger in the shoulders and chest in 08 (and I'm not talking about his so called "fat" year of 09) than he has been recently. I wondered whether it was no coincidence that Cloke was 108 kgs last year and bullied almost every defender, and whether we shouldn't be training our KPs to be the same. I know the game is all about running these days but you still need to be able to win 1-on1's in the fwd and back lines.

But maybe the bolded text above shows Clarko and the fitness guys are on to something .....

Should be noted when the praccy match finished and Richmond went home, the Hawk players who had just played went for sprints and then a run...a couple of time around the oval.

I suppose its the difference in training. We are training to have our guys fit right up to the last day in September, they train for the end of August.

Of the runners, Smith was fantastic taking the lead in the back straight of the run and by the 2nd lap enjoyed a clear lead with McCauley the new Simon Taylor* bringing up the rear.

* and I dont mean that in a bad way. Give Simon Taylor his due, fast, long distance running was not his thing. The big man always kept plugging away and never called it quits.

I suppose its the difference in training. We are training to have our guys fit right up to the last day in September, they train for the end of August.
One of the better backhanders I've seen, RH.

Should be noted when the praccy match finished and Richmond went home, the Hawk players who had just played went for sprints and then a run...a couple of time around the oval.

Of the runners, Smith was fantastic taking the lead in the back straight of the run and by the 2nd lap enjoyed a clear lead with McCauley the new Simon Taylor* bringing up the rear.

* and I dont mean that in a bad way. Give Simon Taylor his due, fast, long distance running was not his thing. The big man always kept plugging away and never called it quits.

Or maybe we went to train at Punt Road ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting, anybody throw him a bone. Obviously we play them R2 and are one of the serious threats to their title defence.

He was there with jnr other guy who I didnt immediately recognise. They both say away from everyone else.

Not at all sure they could take much away from our session. With the way the senior guys were set up and moved from drill to drill with the sound of a whistle it was pretty impressive, but a little difficult to understand exactly what each drill was set out to achieve.
Very smart.

Interesting that the Hawks had a scissor lift with a 2 man crew filming the action from the City end, right behind the goals...... I'm sure it was just for our training purposes ;)

Interesting that the Hawks had a scissor lift with a 2 man crew filming the action from the City end, right behind the goals...... I'm sure it was just for our training purposes ;)

Undoubtedly.

Many thanks to all for the reports.

Anyone care to take a stab when, fitness wise, we might wee Roughy back on the park?

Bruester just walks to where the ball is and kicks goals, as we already know. I saw him do one huge chase and then take a really gutsy mark. He looks to have STEPPED IT UP. Throw away the lid.
This comment made me smile. A good year from Breust & forward line goes from dangerous to highly intimidating.

Hallahan was great. Plenty of it and some hard work in close. Played on Grigg and gave him a bit of niggle. Missed a few targets under pressure but plenty of Tigers players behind the ball.

That's great to hear, there hasn't been a lot of good news on Hallahan, and i even heard a rumour he'd had a foot injury (fracture?) late last year.

Provide some substantiation or ****offski Hodgepodge - this isn't Bay 13 or your alternate universe pal.

You are perpetuating an unsubstantiated (and bullshit - how do you reckon he would be playing a scratch match flog?) rumour.

He did have some sort of foot/ankle injury last year.

I don't like that Hallahan was cleaned up off the ball in the scratch match. If it was Rioli or Hodge we'd all be fuming.

I understand their players are coached by Dimma but it's not on, IMO.

He did have some sort of foot/ankle injury last year.

I don't like that Hallahan was cleaned up off the ball in the scratch match. If it was Rioli or Hodge we'd all be fuming.

I understand their players are coached by Dimma but it's not on, IMO.

If what was said on the richmond board is correct, there were some words spoken between coaches, and the guy was told to ease up a bit, and apologise after the match.

...I don't like that Hallahan was cleaned up off the ball in the scratch match. If it was Rioli or Hodge we'd all be fuming....

It was not that far off the ball and you could nearly argue that Hallahan was almost in position to tackle the guy with the footy. The hit caught Hallahan square in the middle of the back. It was more inappropriate as our guys were going pretty easy on them. Given the level of skill/decision making the tigs displayed, they will really need to work on protecting the guy with the ball.

It was not a real match and there were a number of contrived situations which allowed the players to set up for a stoppage.

Wanganeen was very impressive. He is another midget but super smooth and clean and he has bulked up a little. Did most of his work up forward.

For what its worth I think its great that Clarko and Dimma have maintained such a great a relationship that they can do this. I believe they did it last year also?

On a side note, you guys only won by 15 points, so considering we were apparently horrible with our disposal and decision making, one could be bouyed by the margin :D also if we were that bad with the ball, we must have been pretty good without it.

Any way, glad our youngsters get to learn a few things from a club that has alot of things going for them :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 25th January - Scratch match vs Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back