Training Training reports 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood were too until a change of coach and admin (17th in 2021.....perhaps a one off sh1te year)! Not so long ago we were scratching our heads at Grundy's contract, and their salary cap issues, I personally thought they were f'd for 10 years. Everyone needs to look at that, know that we are on the right path, and believe it can happen at Arden St too! And the Grundy situation is an interesting point to contemplate given how much they invested in their ruckman, how they improved without him, and the general consternation of many on this board re our own ruck stocks!
It's a fair enough point regarding Collingwood, but I will say that they felt better than a 17th-placed team that year. They rarely gave an easy game. Looking at it now on AFLTables, it was two losses out of sixteen by over five goals. Best thing you can say for us is that we tracked fairly similarly in the second half of last year, notwithstanding that brutal Adelaide-Geelong away stretch, as well as the Hawthorn game following that, which imo was the worst game we played all year.

The pit's a lot shallower than it was during Clarko's crisis. I think it's fair to say a lot of us are simultaneously cautiously optimistic and half-expecting it all to come tumbling down. Exciting teams ahead

I went along this morning. The final score was Blue 16 7 103 to Yellow 1 1 7.

Blue Team backline was Pink, Biggie, Kal Dawson, Scott, Sheezel, Goater and McKercher The longer the game went on the more dominant the Blue team became so the ball wasn’t down there much. I thought Dawson was the best of the big guys. Bailey Scott was impressive with his speed and was showing his leadership qualities by giving the younger guys plenty of instructions and encouragement. McKercher definitely catches the eye with his speed and decision making. Going to be a pleasure watching him develop.

The forward line was Larkey, Zurharr, Curtis, Duursma, and Stephenson (who swapped teams with Drury during the second half). Jy Simpkin started on the forward line for much of the game. Larkey was on fire, he played on Comben for most of the game and Will Dawson for some short stints. Duursma definintely has a touch of class.

Greenwood was the ruck for Blue and Maley for Yellow with Greenwood taking the honours. Xerri did not play but took part in training after the match sim. Wardlaw, Powell, LDU and Lazarro were all on the Blue team, Phillips was the main man on Yellow and worked super hard, he had a good game up against very strong opposition. Very impressed with Wardlaw, he got pinged for holding the ball and you could just see the determination on his face. Next passage of play he laid 2 tackles and got the ball out to a team mate. He is a star. Powell and Lazarro continue their good pre season form and LDU is just a rolls Royce.

Tucker and Stephens played on the wings for Blue and Taylor, Shiels, Hardeman, Bergman and Hansen played on the Yellow team.

Brayden George, Archer and McDonald joined in training after the match sim. Eddie Ford and Zac Fisher were running laps. They both looked to be moving freely. I didn’t see CCJ in the match sim.
Thanks for the report.
I haven’t scrolled further just yet, so apologies if it’s been asked, but just wondering how you thought Stephens went?
I’m pretty intrigued by this guy. Anybody that is a top 5 pick at one point was picked there for a reason & im hoping we’ve jagged one for cheap.

Kanga lotto has made him, Powelly & Hardeman all look similar I reckon. I’m only going off some highlights the club posted, but interested to hear from anyone there - how was he moving? Is he a round 1 lock yet?

Thanks for the report.
I haven’t scrolled further just yet, so apologies if it’s been asked, but just wondering how you thought Stephens went?
I’m pretty intrigued by this guy. Anybody that is a top 5 pick at one point was picked there for a reason & im hoping we’ve jagged one for cheap.

Kanga lotto has made him, Powelly & Hardeman all look similar I reckon. I’m only going off some highlights the club posted, but interested to hear from anyone there - how was he moving? Is he a round 1 lock yet?
If I may jump in....

"Disco" Stephens (no idea of the background to that nickname) looks like he's going to be a asset to the line up. Covers a shitload of ground at pace. Neat skills. Kicked a very classy goal yesterday. Was also getting alot praise from coaches and team mates.

The wingers are rolling back and providing alot of run. I'll throw Tucker in there as well. After a proper pre season he looks like a different player.

You're right about the hair. Without my specs, him and Powell look like ****ing twins from a distance.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Thanks for the report.

Seriously, at least the various mullets have SOME variety to them.

Thanks for the report.

I agree with the comments from Passmore in that Stephens has stamina, speed and knows how to find the ball. These are all attributes that we are in dire need of. I would be very surprised if he is not playing in round 1. Tucker has also been good, he looks much fitter and faster compared to last year.

From the most recent batch of draftees McKercher looks like he will be a star. Duursma is silk, he knows where to position himself and is a beautiful kick for goal. Hardeman is bigger than I expected and wouldn’t be surprised if he debuts later in the season. Will Dawson has that competitive instinct so looks like a good prospect. Maley is still very raw. Goad has been with the rehab group so can’t really comment on him.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, seeing him up close he already is a nice size. 6' and probably about 80kg's (if I'm allowed to say that?). More physically developed than Kerch & Duurs.
McKercher is pretty solid. Definitely more physically developed that Duursma. Hasn't got the polish of those two as yet.

Looks very promising though.

Is Goater flying under the radar this pre season?

Playing in the first team every week. And playing well from what I’ve seen.
Kind of.

The WTF moments are certainly less frequent the more he settles in down back. He's a nice size obviously with a leap that allows him to play taller than his listed 190. He's near the same height as Nathan Murphy who plays KPB for the reigning premiers. Could he play as that athletic 3rd tall type?

It's hard to get a read on the backline at the moment given there's so many missing. Corr will be back soon. Fisher wouldn't be that far away. McDonald will come back at some point. Comben was impressive in the 2's team. Bergman there abouts.Then there's Logue later on.

Impressed at Dylan Stephens' agility. Knew he had good straight line athleticism but looks like he can play inside a bit too.

Looks to me, just from those highlights, that there is an emphasis of taking on your man when you have ball in hand and to find the best option.

It’s run, run then run some more. If you stop when you shouldn’t someone will let you know. Stephens, Scott, Tucker, Lazzaro, McKercher, Sheezel, Wardlaw…they don’t stop.

Thanks for the report.

Adding to this he was pick 5 in a very very strong draft, the only player who doesn’t look like making from that first round left the afl because of other reasons.

Will be interesting how much he comes along.

It’s run, run then run some more. If you stop when you shouldn’t someone will let you know. Stephens, Scott, Tucker, Lazzaro, McKercher, Sheezel, Wardlaw…they don’t stop.
I don't know how often it will happen this year but there will be quarters or games where we break a team apart IMO. Last year we put on some goals in hot spells but probably not enough reward for effort (albeit much improved from the previous years). I think we'll see times this year where it is an unstoppable flow, the more the better too. Sustenance.

Looks like it - baptism of fire, I like it
Me to, in any sport, one sure fire way to improve is to play against better players or the best, do that regularly and you will improve out of sight if all the fundamentals are in place. Since Nick is in the top three forwards going around and is only going to get better, what better way to learn than playing on a player of his calibre!

I agree with the comments from Passmore in that Stephens has stamina, speed and knows how to find the ball. These are all attributes that we are in dire need of. I would be very surprised if he is not playing in round 1. Tucker has also been good, he looks much fitter and faster compared to last year.

From the most recent batch of draftees McKercher looks like he will be a star. Duursma is silk, he knows where to position himself and is a beautiful kick for goal. Hardeman is bigger than I expected and wouldn’t be surprised if he debuts later in the season. Will Dawson has that competitive instinct so looks like a good prospect. Maley is still very raw. Goad has been with the rehab group so can’t really comment on him.
My concern for these two is their intensity at the contest. If they can show this at match level then yes agree they will be assets with their running power and delivery

I don't know how often it will happen this year but there will be quarters or games where we break a team apart IMO. Last year we put on some goals in hot spells but probably not enough reward for effort (albeit much improved from the previous years). I think we'll see times this year where it is an unstoppable flow, the more the better too. Sustenance.
IMG_2852.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Training reports 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back