Training Training reports 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Really they aren’t that baffling, finbar was playing local footy 6 months ago. He will get his go, when he consistently plays well at VFL level
Him or sellers had to come in for CJ

An undersized greenwood is not going to add more benefit

Guess larkey will now be double teamed

Maybe when we take zero contested forward 50 marks he’ll learn

Him or sellers had to come in for CJ

Guess larkey will now be double teamed

Maybe when we take zero contested forward 50 marks he’ll learn

I don't mind Greenwood playing 2nd ruck, but man Larkey needs some support down there. Going to have a hard night with Andrews zoning off in front of him all night. Greenwood alone isn't enough to make Andrews accountable.

I don't mind Greenwood playing 2nd ruck, but man Larkey needs some support down there. Going to have a hard night with Andrews zoning off in front of him all night. Greenwood alone isn't enough to make Andrews accountable.
It’s all good.

We’re looking to have the most intercept marks conceded in a game since the stat was recorded.

Just because he's a 4 time premiership coach doesn't mean he's absolved from criticism, he was not a good coach the last 3 years at Hawthorn
Not sure I agree with that, the last three years I thought he did okay, with the cattle he had, even the almighty one couldn't have done any better, well apart from the odd miracle or two. If I remember correctly the last year he coached them to a few great wins even though they were spread about but people have to remember Hawthorn needed to rebuild so the criticism is so not warranted.

Not sure I agree with that, the last three years I thought he did okay, with the cattle he had, even the almighty one couldn't have done any better, well apart from the odd miracle or two. If I remember correctly the last year he coached them to a few great wins even though they were spread about but people have to remember Hawthorn needed to rebuild so the criticism is so not warranted.
I admit not a good coach is a bit harsh, I would say he was mediorce though

I don't/didn't really care what he did in the last 3 years at the Hawks. They were coming off an era of success, everyone was stuck in their ways, and they had to find some path to rejuvenate everything, and for the last while there Clarko had the specter of Mitchell hanging over one shoulder and that prick Kennett over the other.

He had a year to freshen up and get new ideas after that.

That was the fairy tale.

Just hoping the Hawthorn racism saga hasn't drained all his lifeforce, as I think that's more of a risk than him just plain not being any ******* good. Frankly the risk that the stench of prolonged failure and submission at the club, and in the player's hearts, is too strong for him to remove worries me more than the possibility he might not be any good anymore.

Greenwood is 'bigger' than them both. Has 5kgs~ on them, and although they're taller, Greenwood is stronger.

Also, he can pinch hit in the ruck which is something neither Maley or Sellers have done much of and is clearly something Clarko values.

Greenwood is 'bigger' than them both. Has 5kgs~ on them, and although they're taller, Greenwood is stronger.

Also, he can pinch hit in the ruck which is something neither Maley or Sellers have done much of and is clearly something Clarko values.
I’ll back the other 2 to take more contested marks than greenwood

By bigger yes I meant taller

I’ll back the other 2 to take more contested marks than greenwood

By bigger yes I meant taller

You over-rate how easy it is for beanpole young talls to get 'contested marks' against AFL defenders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For all the people bagging out Pink, the best full back in the SANFL last year, as not being up to it in the AFL, I hope these aren't the same people wondering why Sellers and Maley aren't in SA this weekend.

For all the people bagging out Pink, the best full back in the SANFL last year, as not being up to it in the AFL, I hope these aren't the same people wondering why Sellers and Maley aren't in SA this weekend.
Ones a 25 year old mature ager who has been delisted

The others are 20 and 21 year old talents who haven’t been given the exposure

Neither of them could be worse than what CCJ did in the first three weeks.

They may even get their hands to a mark every now and then.

I wish my ability to 'react' wasn't taken away by a Hawthorn mod so I could enthusiastically 'LIKE' this post.

Ones a 25 year old mature ager who has been delisted

The others are 20 and 21 year old talents who haven’t been given the exposure

They're getting their exposure, as younger blokes, in the VFL. Maley has put together one good game, Sellers has just come off a quieter one after feasting on a bottom standalone VFL side and our own defenders in a praccy match.

Comben is a good in. More hard yards done and was impressive last week. Greenwood makes total sense as ruck relief and as a mature body.

No I just know greenwood ain’t taking any

More than 30% of Hugh Greenwood's marks last year were contested.

By contrast, Comben's % was 22~ and Larkey was 25~ (and is on 0 CM in 2024 so far).

There's plenty of things to knock Greenwood for, but his contested marking is not one of them.

Have not long come back from Norwood oval, man for 23 degrees it felt like 34 out there today and even Tristan agreed with me!
Chom is so playing, he's very excited to be back in the team and while it was just a casual training run and meet and greet the fans, a couple of things did stand out. While I've watched him in the games we've played as well as under age Colby's kicking is just beautiful to watch, seriously sometimes you can take things for granted and while all footballers can have a shocker his footskills are a weapon!

Forgot to ask Hugh if he's playing but he looked good and was happy {the smile never left his face} so I'm assuming he is also into the team. Toby looked good out there and I'm a little bit surprised that some people are having a go at him or more to the point expressing his so called flaws, give the man a chance, he's played what three games for goodness sake like Kallan Dawson, give them time sure everyone would like SOS or Jackovich but our reality is faith in the boys we've now got and to get games into them and when we play better the confidence will get better, much better!

Blake was also out there his kicking has improved as well. All in all probably only 2 or 3 changes for the match against the Lions at Norwood oval Friday night. A couple of small things, Paul very popular with the girls, LDU looked great no worries there, I told him to not worry about being tagged as its a complement from the opposition coach and at the moment he's not going to get tagged every week, well not yet. "Elvis" moved really good, said his ankle was a little bit sore but now its fine so no worries there. Jy looked a lot better than last week so I'm assuming the "run" did him the world of good.

Wondering if Blake is coming in or a sub as he trained well. George was taking it easy but did what he had to as with BGZ and Harry what a young man in every sense of the word, he's ready to cut loose as is the warlord! Not a lot there today but a working day so fair enough, probably 150 to 200 with some people in the stands. Oval looking great so will be interesting to see how Brisbane play it on Friday being in very average form and with all the stuff from their overseas trip about unfaithfulness and disharmony you just know guys like Rayner and Cameron might play them back into form, but you know what, "stuff em" go the roos! :north:

It'd be a dull forum if we can't critique coaching decisions regardless of the coaches former prowess.

However I agree with your take - 2018 Hawthorn were top 4 in a year they had no right to be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back