Training Training reports 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Rucks aren’t rotated off the bench all game… if we go with 2 rucks, then one will spend a lot of time forward.
We may only go with Xerri in the ruck, but considering we are trailing Chom down back, I think we will be starting with CCJ forward to help out Larkey & then chop out Xerri.
This
Whether that stays the same all year is another question but for round 1 at least that’s how I see it also
CCJ and larkey the 2 keys forward

I was at the training and I got a photo of the crow attacking the drone...LOL
Biggie has a good kick on him and moves well.
I like the look of Goad he moves well and looks like he could play a few games next season, Maybe across CHF.
Dylan Stephens has chicken legs, very lean.
You are not the original Gabby from years ago?

Rucks aren’t rotated off the bench all game… if we go with 2 rucks, then one will spend a lot of time forward.
We may only go with Xerri in the ruck, but considering we are trailing Chom down back, I think we will be starting with CCJ forward to help out Larkey & then chop out Xerri.
Having CCJ on the bench would open up the idea of rotating all of Pink , CCJ and Xerri through CHF...if needed.

I do wonder what Clarkson has planned for the relief ruck role.

It's unconventional, but you do occasionally see the second ruck play down back. The plan could be to have Comben shadow the other teams second ruck.

You'd let Corr and Pink take the best two options, and then have Comben play off of the resting ruck. Corr's versatility to play on talls and smalls should allow that to work against most sides.

Still not sure how this makes sense considering we've now got like 5 guys that are key backs and only 1 that's a legitimate key forward. Yet we're going to throw this guy back? Isn't that why we went after Pink and Biggie?
I think jay317, there's two reasons, first; as others have said, to get him going, get some game time into him and secondly, wouldn't surprise me if we were following the Collingwood strategy, remember, Clarko is always going forward and his trip to the US was all about the top teams and there strategy, getting ahead of the game so to speak.

The Collingwood strategy revolves around gut running and flooding the defence when needed, hence in the Grand Final they didn't need a Carey or Brereton up there, they used Bobby Hill, so that tall power forward marking was essentially replaced with smart, skills and lots of pace, something along the lines of Pagans Paddock which was essentially going to be used for a very pacey Leigh Tudor until injuries took over and he was traded right as Dennis took over.

We did this long before Collingwood and now they are implementing it to great success. For people, our Pagans Paddock was then postponed when Leigh was traded until a young lad by the name of Wayne Carey quickly showed in the under 19s what he was capable of. It soon took hold that Wayne was no ordinary footballer and when he started to dominate, other teams threw extra defenders back onto Wayne, then the plan came back into play.

But this time the reverse of what Collingwood are doing now was put in place with a tall strong marking forward replacing a fast Leigh Tudor type, with all the high forwards moving up the ground it left Wayne one out, game over. When he didn't mark it you had all the high forwards who had pushed up the ground running past, pacey guys like Brett Allison Glenn Freeborn and Craig Sholl crumbing and snapping goals.

Last edited:
Ah another North pre-season with Kangalotto debate and Will Phillips doubts. Exciting times.
As for Comben, just get games into him in defense, he can always be moved forward when Logue gets back. If they need a big body they've got CCJ, Biggie or Finnbar as other options. Try out a mobile forward group to start with.

Still not sure how this makes sense considering we've now got like 5 guys that are key backs and only 1 that's a legitimate key forward. Yet we're going to throw this guy back? Isn't that why we went after Pink and Biggie?

The game has changed.

Chom was handy up there, but hardly Wayne Carey.

I'd say a big majority of tall forwards are useless lumps outside of the 5-6 moments a game where their height and size is actually required.

They get run off by running defenders, don't have the pace and agility to put on legitimate pressure and often don't have dynamic movement in the forward line and provide very little in the way of score involvements and score creation acts.

The hybrid medium forward who can take contested marks and move up and back to the wing is way more valuable in the modern game.

You can afford 1 genuine gun tall, but not 2-3 anymore especially if they are immobile battlers. The land of the giants is over and most sides that employ that setup get murdered by score launches from half back.

We've hoarded these types in recent years, I'd say we have the biggest abundance in the league of young medium forwards at the moment.

I'm 100% certain the long term intention is to sit Larkey at FF and surround him with a gun medium forward fleet of Duursma, George, Sheezel, Ford, Zurhaar, Curtis etc. Sheezel, Ford, Zurhaar as the high half forwards and George, Duursma, Curtis as the deeper goal kicking options.

All nightmare matchups that can beat alot of key defenders in the air, as well as small defenders on the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah another North pre-season with Kangalotto debate and Will Phillips doubts. Exciting times.
As for Comben, just get games into him in defense, he can always be moved forward when Logue gets back. If they need a big body they've got CCJ, Biggie or Finnbar as other options. Try out a mobile forward group to start with.
Can't see us going with just X in the ruck with no relief ruck option. CCJ has to be in as that 2nd forward/2nd ruck. Or Biggie, or Finnbar as you mentioned if CCJ is a total bust.

I wouldn't rule out W. Dawson getting 6-10 games playing that role just to give him a taste. Can't see him cracking it for a key defender role next year but maybe his youthful exuberance could be used to bust a few packs open up forward.

It's unconventional, but you do occasionally see the second ruck play down back. The plan could be to have Comben shadow the other teams second ruck.

You'd let Corr and Pink take the best two options, and then have Comben play off of the resting ruck. Corr's versatility to play on talls and smalls should allow that to work against most sides.
In the seventies Dempsey used to rest in the back pocket. Marked everything ! So resting rucks back is not a new thing.

Can't see us going with just X in the ruck with no relief ruck option.

I think we're all forgetting someone, folks. We should have known there was a reason a certain someone spent the 200 days of November in America refreshing his jump ball skills:

1701842014396.png

Not sure if you’ve ever played footy but it’s usually the defenders that crash into the forwards more so then the other way.
LOL!
The tall intercepting defender is often either 1) floating into a pack and getting cleaned up by the forwards in the contest, or 2) floating into the hole to intercept and getting cleaned up by the forwards on the lead.

Can't see us going with just X in the ruck with no relief ruck option. CCJ has to be in as that 2nd forward/2nd ruck. Or Biggie, or Finnbar as you mentioned if CCJ is a total bust.

I wouldn't rule out W. Dawson getting 6-10 games playing that role just to give him a taste. Can't see him cracking it for a key defender role next year but maybe his youthful exuberance could be used to bust a few packs open up forward.
The point is the are plenty of options whether going small ball or two big targets. I don't think Dawson plays AFL this year, they'll protect him. He might get a taste like Drury did with 1-2 games, if anything.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Training reports 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back