Training Training Reports - Current report, Monday 13th February, Post #1427

Remove this Banner Ad

No there isn't one dominant coaching voice. All the coaches have their roles. They work (mostly) in separate groups doing whatever that player group is concentrating on at that time. When it comes to match simulation there is usually one coach who is "the umpire" and the other coaches, if you just look from the outside, are just standing around fairly passively. But when there's a stop in play the coaches go to their group....fwds, backs, mids etc..... and obviously provide the feedback on what they have been watching. Occasionally Clarko will be out on the oval and address the whole group but generally he takes a pretty low profile.

As to my text message training reports, I can't forward them to this site because I'm extremely fortunate to be able to speak to players and coaches and I am told things from time to time which I won't repeat on a public forum such as this Board. I share that info with people whom I trust and only those people. For instance one day last week I had a discussion with a coach about a certain player and what was being done to rectify certain deficiencies in that players skill set. I was given an incredibly incite full explanation of why that player does what he does, and which detracts from his performance, and what the coaches are doing to try and remedy that. I'm sure you would all like to know the details of all that but I'll only share that with a very limited few. So that's why the text messages can't be copied and pasted.

N24 - people were a bit miffed that we didn't broadcast our practice matches online this year like other clubs. I argued that we probably shouldn't be giving opposition analysts a free hit by broadcasting them online so they could rewatch them at their leisure.

I get anyone could wander on down to practice sessions but I doubt opposition analysts would, but give them access to it online and it's a free hit. Am I being paranoid or would you agree that practice matches should probably remain just for club consumption?

Have just hired a hacker to access your texts #24.;)

Sorry Thai, but that would be impossible. Have you seen N24's so called mobile phone?

It was invented BEFORE Nokia even began thinking about mobile phones.

It has an old "Singer" typewriter attacked by old copper wire as a keyboard. (It's very loud & hard to watch single finger typing)

Actually his mobile phone is better at sending smoke signals that sending text... so if you can get someone to interpret smokies...you've hacked him!

Sorry Thai, but that would be impossible. Have you seen N24's so called mobile phone?

It has an old "Singer" typewriter attacked by old copper wire as a keyboard. (It's very loud & hard to watch single finger typing)

Actually his mobile phone is better at sending smoke signals that sending text... so if you can get someone to interpret smokies...you've hacked him!

Thanks for that Rusty. Maybe I'll have to update my thinking, and steal his identity instead.

In my early days as a Hawk fan, inside information was half way between our house and Glenferrie oval at Beau Wallace's French Polishing shop.

However, there was not much good news in those days.

You are a bastard of the first order RustyHawk. Fancy telling the world about my communication methods. The only saving grace is that you didn't spill the beans about the tarot cards.

You are a bastard of the first order RustyHawk. Fancy telling the world about my communication methods. The only saving grace is that you didn't spill the beans about the tarot cards.
You two bickering reminds me of the odd couple :D

I am intrigued to see if JOR can become a player. Does anyone know whether he'll get a run against Port? After last weeks debacle in defence, it's imperative Brand has a crack as well. Will he be right in a fortnight's time? I anticipate the finger would have healed by then. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I am intrigued to see if JOR can become a player. Does anyone know whether he'll get a run against Port? After last weeks debacle in defence, it's imperative Brand has a crack as well. Will he be right in a fortnight's time? I anticipate the finger would have healed by then. Thoughts?

Last week he said he was 2 weeks away. If that's true he probably won't make the third game, v Pt Adelaide

We'll see if he trains this week (ball work I mean)

Last week he said he was 2 weeks away. If that's true he probably won't make the third game, v Pt Adelaide

We'll see if he trains this week (ball work I mean)

Thanks mate. Much appreciated. I assume you mean Brand. Been following all of your reports. He may not be the answer to our need for a strong defensive & composed tall, but it would be nice to see him have a crack against Westhoff or similar. I can't envisage him playing Round One without at least one preseason game.

Last edited:
Brand trained today without his right hand strapped up but he didn't do any ball work, mostly just ran laps. So the two weeks I mentioned still looks to be the order of the day.
Do you think Howe and O'Rourke might be in the frame for JLT3? I assume they've been managing niggles?

Do you think Howe and O'Rourke might be in the frame for JLT3? I assume they've been managing niggles?

Both have had minor hamstring niggles and have been ultra cautiously managed. Both wanted to play last Sunday but were kept on ice (no pun intended) until the next game. They are back in full training and have been for a little time now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No there isn't one dominant coaching voice. All the coaches have their roles. They work (mostly) in separate groups doing whatever that player group is concentrating on at that time. When it comes to match simulation there is usually one coach who is "the umpire" and the other coaches, if you just look from the outside, are just standing around fairly passively. But when there's a stop in play the coaches go to their group....fwds, backs, mids etc..... and obviously provide the feedback on what they have been watching. Occasionally Clarko will be out on the oval and address the whole group but generally he takes a pretty low profile.

As to my text message training reports, I can't forward them to this site because I'm extremely fortunate to be able to speak to players and coaches and I am told things from time to time which I won't repeat on a public forum such as this Board. I share that info with people whom I trust and only those people. For instance one day last week I had a discussion with a coach about a certain player and what was being done to rectify certain deficiencies in that players skill set. I was given an incredibly incite full explanation of why that player does what he does, and which detracts from his performance, and what the coaches are doing to try and remedy that. I'm sure you would all like to know the details of all that but I'll only share that with a very limited few. So that's why the text messages can't be copied and pasted.

Langers or Billy?

There was training today. It went for a bit over 2 hours and included a mini scratch match of 2 x 10 minute halves. Noticeable to me was the run and gun from the full back line, so evident in various training drills over the summer, but so clearly absent in the game v Norf last Sunday.

Last Sunday was a bruise free gallop for most of the senior players for Hawthorn and one who was very clearly not taking anything seriously was Cyril. He flew for a couple of marks to practice his one-handed grabs but otherwise didn't bother to chase or tackle. There was more intensity in the little session today, as I'm sure Cyril will attest to, as he got sat on his arse with a very solid "encounter".

Brand was out on the park but still not doing any ball work with his right hand. JOR and Howe were both in it up to their eyeballs.

Something we don't see too often was, after the scratch match, Roughy doing a series of 100+ meter sprints on his own.

There was a suggestion today that a player from interstate (who has not made a senior appearance yet) is a little homesick. The suggested cure for this malaise according to one coach today was to find the lad a good looking sheila with a dirty mind. Seems suggested solutions to problems at Hawthorn are not always to be found in the handbook of political correctness.

There will be no training tomorrow, Saturday or Sunday. The players are being given a break and a freshen up

There was training today. It went for a bit over 2 hours and included a mini scratch match of 2 x 10 minute halves. Noticeable to me was the run and gun from the full back line, so evident in various training drills over the summer, but so clearly absent in the game v Norf last Sunday.

Last Sunday was a bruise free gallop for most of the senior players for Hawthorn and one who was very clearly not taking anything seriously was Cyril. He flew for a couple of marks to practice his one-handed grabs but otherwise didn't bother to chase or tackle. There was more intensity in the little session today, as I'm sure Cyril will attest to, as he got sat on his arse with a very solid "encounter".

Brand was out on the park but still not doing any ball work with his right hand. JOR and Howe were both in it up to their eyeballs.

Something we don't see too often was, after the scratch match, Roughy doing a series of 100+ meter sprints on his own.

There was a suggestion today that a player from interstate (who has not made a senior appearance yet) is a little homesick. The suggested cure for this malaise according to one coach today was to find the lad a good looking sheila with a dirty mind. Seems suggested solutions to problems at Hawthorn are not always to be found in the handbook of political correctness.

There will be no training tomorrow, Saturday or Sunday. The players are being given a break and a freshen up
I would have preferred this as a text msg.

Seriously though - cheers and who was doing the run from the backline?

Thank you sir. Great as always to head.

Given I love a long way from home, I can attest that the suggested solution does indeed help cure homesickness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quite the brainteaser. From what I could figure the only players who haven't made their senior debut are either Victorians or Irishman.

If it's who I think it is, he may get his opportunity sooner than he thinks given Brand is no certainty to
Quite the brainteaser. From what I could figure the only players who haven't made their senior debut are either Victorians or Irishman.

Rookie list

look at the rookie list again

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Training Reports - Current report, Monday 13th February, Post #1427

Remove this Banner Ad

Back