Training Training thread - news and live reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He might if he can prove himself in the twos.

At this stage LDU is playing a clearance mid ahead of him, Bailey is playing outside ahead of him too.
Good thing Bradles is not in charge, we might just get some competition for spots..
LDU is going to be a gun but he might just find competition in his spot from his best mate.

Good thing Bradles is not in charge, we might just get some competition for spots..
LDU is going to be a gun but he might just find competition in his spot from his best mate.

Yeah thank God Braddles isn't here or he would just play Bonar straight up because he was recruited in the off season so must get a game - see Tyson, Hall, Campbell etc.

I know people WANT Bonar to be good, and so do I, but right now, having watched him at training, he's not best 18 or 22 material.

I believe TAO has more on this.

Yeah thank God Braddles isn't here or he would just play Bonar straight up because he was recruited in the off season so must get a game - see Tyson, Hall, Campbell etc.

I know people WANT Bonar to be good, and so do I, but right now, having watched him at training, he's not best 18 or 22 material.

I believe TAO has more on this.

I fully said as much when we drafted him.

Just wondering what you noticed at training that had him outside best 22?

I fully said as much when we drafted him.

Just wondering what you noticed at training that had him outside best 22?

Ad described a few pages back I saw him, LDU, Simpkin and Tarryn doing a contested skills thing of picking up a loose ball under pressure then hitting a leading target.

Tarryn was clearly ahead of the rest, LDU and Jy just behind a looked great, and Bonar well behind them.

He needs work. Tools are there though.

I reckon a defensive role first.

The sequence shot of Scott getting away from him is the only thing I could go by to get that impression...

That's gonna happen to a lot of people. I remember his dad doing that. He'd have taught Bailey young so he'd be even better than his old man.

Ad described a few pages back I saw him, LDU, Simpkin and Tarryn doing a contested skills thing of picking up a loose ball under pressure then hitting a leading target.

Tarryn was clearly ahead of the rest, LDU and Jy just behind a looked great, and Bonar well behind them.

He needs work. Tools are there though.

I reckon a defensive role first.

People said it in jest but I legitimately suggested he might be a very good medium defender based on the video grabs of his senior games.

Different playing style (when he goes to defence) to MacMillan, Pittard - a bit more like Firrito and to a small extent McDonald.

McGuinness looks legitimately 3+ years away from having an AFL body. Pretty tough considering he's 20 next year. Tassie really hasn't had a strong player development culture for the last decade or so though. So hopefully it's a case of him being underappreciated and neglected as a footy talent with regards to making sure his diet is right and he isn't buggered from a genetic position to put on size.

Going to be really important he doesn't get any injuries in his first year with us. Can't afford to have any time outside of the gym or track.
I think he will develop into a rangy type, perhaps like Aaron Naughton, who started off skinny as a rake, but agree he will take a few years to develop physically. I liked what I saw of MM in the intra-club last summer, having a run both forward and back. Moves like a footballer. Looking forward to watching him progress in the 2s. Good speculative pick up.

I think he will develop into a rangy type, perhaps like Aaron Naughton, who started off skinny as a rake, but agree he will take a few years to develop physically. I liked what I saw of MM in the intra-club last summer, having a run both forward and back. Moves like a footballer. Looking forward to watching him progress in the 2s. Good speculative pick up.

Seriously, Naughton was built like Dolph Lundgren compared to this kid. Comparative pics at 17-18:

Aaron+Naughton+2017+AFL+Draft+Combine+ZSrM2a-ejecl.jpg
7442462_e12fa67da3c3458f9be2fec484c07ff3.jpg

Who does he push out based on actual exposed form? He's pretty much reliant on his draft position at this stage.

In terms of young mids, LDU and Bailey are ahead of him, as is Tarryn if playing as a mid.

Keen to see Aiden put his head down in the twos and force the selectors hand.

I picked a round 1 team the other day. Had 6 players vying for one spot and Bonar wasnt even on my list. Reckon he will have to go pretty well in the VFL to get a shot. There are a few in front of him including Aaron Hall, Ahern and the like.

I picked a round 1 team the other day. Had 6 players vying for one spot and Bonar wasnt even on my list. Reckon he will have to go pretty well in the VFL to get a shot. There are a few in front of him including Aaron Hall, Ahern and the like.

Yep, agreed, anyone picking him for a Round One has a serious case of draft positionitis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He needs to spend all summer with Spud mentoring him.
Just eat ******* sweet potato after sweet potato, carbs and stack on the chicken breast and red meat as well.

He will literally have his collarbone ripped to pieces if he participates in contact training.

Comben on the other hand is a good size. You can see the frame and foundation is there to be a solid unit.

Kane Turner is pretty skinny and does more breaking of others than on himself.

I think you should check Comdens predraft injury list and reconsider that statement.

Size does not necessarily correlate to durable.

Can't see Hall being Shaw's type of player.

Hall was a bit hard done by IMO. Everything was a mess and iirc he was one of the first dropped. He was inconsistent but he put in more defensive pressure/running than I was expecting (though I wasn't expecting him to be a workhorse or anything approaching that given his clearly offensive inclinations shown to that point). Was also one of our top tacklers on numerous occasions IIRC.

I'm not writing him off by any means. If he's physically fit, mentally fine, and the team as a whole is well drilled and we utilised his strengths then he has more than a slight chance of being a lock in the 22.

Who does he push out based on actual exposed form? He's pretty much reliant on his draft position at this stage.

In terms of young mids, LDU and Bailey are ahead of him, as is Tarryn if playing as a mid.

Keen to see Aiden put his head down in the twos and force the selectors hand.

Of the players mentioned, I think he is more physically developed and AFL ready than Bailey, comparable with LDU, but doesn't have the potential of TT. I think he might give us an option as a taller winger, but not suggesting I prefer him over the bull. Any potential as the explosive HBF we keep searching for, or is his defensive work not up to it?

I think you should check Comdens predraft injury list and reconsider that statement.

Turner has much more density.

I’m just commenting on Combens current makeup as an 18yo on first glance and he definitely has more to work with.

Makes Mitch Wilkins look like Josh Hunt. Mitch was drafted at 182cm and 72kg. Matt is 195cm and 75kg.
[/

Tarrants early career is a point in case. Glad we persisted there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back