Trash Talking in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not one at all for on-field violence outside of winning the football/legal tackles, but if Zorko said any of the things being rumoured, he deserved to be decked, and Petty would have deserved to have gotten off, like Headland did for decking Selwood. And even then, Selwood's sledge was a misunderstanding. On history, I wouldn't give Zorko the same the same cop out.

Regardless, something has got to give at Brisbane. The other players looked totally uninterested in the stoushes Zorko kept starting. In fact, they looked embarrassed above all else. We've all probably played with one of those types across our sporting careers, and they're not exactly inspiring players to play alongside; they're just a distraction.

"They are only words" was used to justify bullying and harassment for years.

But research has shown that verbal bullying can be far more harmful than physical. Bruises heal quick, personal, verbal bullying take a lot longer.
It does.
This is not bullying though.........not repetitive, not exact words all the time.Whatever they may be .

It does.
This is not bullying though.........not repetitive, not exact words all the time.Whatever they may be .

I am talking in general.

Always been done, all teams, all players........

How hard is it to stay away from topics like family, health etc?

One of the best sledges was when Kosi said Bob Murphy had a head like a Mintie and proceeded to call him that all game. Bulldogs and Saints players were pissing themselves by all accounts.

Zorko’s alleged sledge is just basic deadshit bogan idiocy.

Best way to put someone off their game is to make them laugh, not cry.

Exactly. I’m sure every club has their own examples but the obvious one I can think of from the cats was Andrew Mackie - as far as I’m aware he never made anything personal but was able to have a good shot at the other team: ‘Hey Boris, do we actually get four points for beating these blokes?’ On the flip side we had a bloke like Scarlett who I reckon would have been happy to cross the line whenever he felt like it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am talking in general.

How hard is it to stay away from topics like family, health etc?

John Worsfold once made a very nasty sledge to Mick McGuane about his deceased father.

Was not acceptable back than, and certainly should not be tolerated now.

Everything is bullying now in the same way that everything is harassment. Harassment used to mean PERSISTENT unwanted attention. Now it's a single remark.

In the same way bullying used to mean an ongoing campaign and now people use the word to describe a one off.

And anyone who says words are worse than physical violence is deeply ignorant. Every single person that has ever been hurt by a word has chosen to be hurt by it. The difference between the verbal and the physical is you don't have a choice when it is physical.

Is it that hard for Lions fans to just say ‘our player did the wrong thing and there is no excuse for it.’

I haven't seen a lot of Brisbane fans defending Zorko's supposed comments. That being said, are you able to tell us what the comments were so we can determine he did the wrong thing, or are you just going off heresay posted on an internet forum?

Remove this Banner Ad

Trash Talking in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back