Travis Varcoe

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
On that first instinct thing mate.
It goes back to something bomber once said.

He'd had a chat to TV and said to him that the day he has 28 touches, 8 tackles and 5 goals he will finally 'believe'
And that is when Bomber would have said he'd reached his potential.

He still doubts himself.
That 1st quarter goal against Freo said it all. I haven't seen a replay but he grabbed that ball, started working clear but all the time was looking to give it off.

In the end he showed how much pure class he has by slotting it with ease.
Last week he slotted it from 50 without breaking stride. On that occasion there was no one in front of him to create doubt.

I reckon if Pods was there and led from the goal square he would have passed it.

Crazy stuff.

They should say to him "if you're inside 50 go for goal. If you're outside 50 find a way to get inside 50. Whether that be getting around your opponent or handing it off and getting it back. And then go for goal"
He'll never do that. Few players do.

This pace and Varcoe thing is a whole lot of crap!

Before you go thinking I'm Varcoe bashing again, let me explain!

First of all because a player is smallish, doesn't necessarily mean he's naturally faster than someone 190cm+.
Asapha Powell and Usain Bolt explode that myth.

Agilty is another thing, it generally favors the smaller player, but what matters is said players' natural or instinctive response,to go on that instinct.
To me, based on what I've seen of Varcoe this year he is hesitant, he looses valuable time to effect tackles and interceptions that he otherwise could make, because he's weighing up the situation before committing.
He effectively looses say .5 to 1 sec of time, that puts him lets say 3-5 mtrs behind the ball carrier, what this does is nuturalize any speed advantage he may have due to hesitation, it's a fine line.

Geelongs' fwd half isn't slow because we have two tall forwards, it's because Varcoe and the other smalller fwd players are not committing to second efforts with desparation and loose those metres.

If selected, lets hope he finds form, the GFC isn't all about Trav Varcoe, he has to carry his weight.

I think the inclusion of Tom Hawkins and his size around the packs up fwd will helpVarcoe and others find opportunity they otherwise might not get, he should, we're playing Richmond.

If I can put it in my own words Meto, the intuitive players always look average when they are out of form. I understand football at the elite level requires all players to have a certain supply of it, but guys Like Trav are usually absolutely automatic about where they go and what they do when they are in peak form and it makes them so hard to mark up on. And they only need the footy a dozen or so times a match to change it.

Guys who are the in and under types always look to be offering something even when in reality their output and impact on a game is fairly minimal, particularly if their opponent is spreading and ripping them a new one the other way which often goes relatively unnoticed in here.

I think everyone had a level they thought Varcoe was going to reach this season and it hasnt happened. But I wouldnt rule out the coaches have it in mind they want him cherry ripe for finals, that he is doing some hard yards now which has been verified by comments from the senior group.

So I think in a roundabout way whether its hesitation or lack of intensity at the contest, its all confidence related and its something very fixable.

He'll never do that. Few players do.

I know.
It was an example put forward. They are Gazza type stats.
If Varcoe has 22/6/3 it will be awesome to watch

I know.
It was an example put forward. They are Gazza type stats.
If Varcoe has 22/6/3 it will be awesome to watch

If he has the ball within 50 he should trust himself every time, his balance on the run when kicking for goal is unreal, I'm not disputing that.

If he only stopped that aimless jogging circles, just waited then let it rip when the balls winable or when effecting a tackle, he would seem far more focused to me.
I think all that's brought about by his lack of confidence, maybe it's mental/physical or just mental I don't know, but, to say its because he's scared, only he knows that!
Guys like him don't rely on second efforts, like you say, in form they look great, because its all smooth one touch.
Just hope he shruggs of the doubts.
When he gets 15-20 pozzies that's fine, what he does with em with defines his value, he can rip it with 12, just has to go for his chances IMO.

Surprises me bomber couldn't se the type of player he'd be!

Wow !

Can someone please tell Meto that someone is using his BF account !!!!!

:D

Agree with what you say. It's like he needs to stop running 15k per game and just run the game for 5k and smack them when he has to / can smack them.

It's why I reckon he is playing a role we dont know.

Wow !

Can someone please tell Meto that someone is using his BF account !!!!!

:D

Agree with what you say. It's like he needs to stop running 15k per game and just run the game for 5k and smack them when he has to / can smack them.

I got a laugh out of that! yeah! you maywell think that's possible, but in all seriousness, he's got to snap out of this cruise thing and use his pace properly.
If he does, he's an absolute lockin, but if not, what do we do?

That's why recently I'd lost patience, when I see little Eddie Betts kicking 8, it's all the more annoying,............ 15 poss, 2 goals, maybe 2 assists, and I would be happy to say he's turned the corner.
As a forward his basic role would be to be as destructive as possible, lets hope he sets a standard for himself and just goes for it.

He had 15 touches last week, which is an improvment, but the goal was belated, must involve himself from the getgo.
We carn't wait forever.

It's like he needs to stop running 15k per game and just run the game for 5k and smack them when he has to / can smack them.

A role we don't know? C'mon, it's AFL footy not rocket science. If you're a midfielder you beat your opponent to the footy and use it to the advantage your team. Players do have different 'side' roles from game to game but the nuts and bolts of it never change, and never have.

Don't tell me that Varcoe circling nearly every stoppage he goes near, even when we're getting torn apart(often beaten in stoppages in 2011) is somehow part of a master plan?? If certain players are down, others pick up the slack. If Varcoe is that one dimensional that he can only receive the handball or pick and choose when HE wants to contest, well... he shouldn't be there. Not with the game evolving to a more contested style, especially Geelong's. Varcoe obviously felt at ease in the past when we played our run and handball game of '07-'10... the other players have adjusted, Varcoe is a senior player lagging behind.

If he does run 15k a game(anyone got proof?), how overrated is that stat in today's game? Useless. :confused:

Never going to accumulate high possession numbers, 13 today, but....3 goals!
That's his role, finishing off, providing that fast moving fwd link option.
You carn't complain with that return, like to know his game-time stat in comparison to others.

No complaints from me today. Much better.

Faded but much prefer him to play well when the game is in balance then fade out. As opposed to fading in when the game is over.

Seeing him backing into oncoming traffic was a highlight, and not something I've seen him do this year at all yet. He finished exceptionally well, but we've seen that plenty against crap opposition. I didn't get to go to the game today, but on the TV it seemed he was down forward more?? Perhaps taken out of the midfield with the other ins? Anyone confirm?

Seeing him backing into oncoming traffic was a highlight, and not something I've seen him do this year at all yet. He finished exceptionally well, but we've seen that plenty against crap opposition. I didn't get to go to the game today, but on the TV it seemed he was down forward more?? Perhaps taken out of the midfield with the other ins? Anyone confirm?
At the game, and saw the replay, spent a lot of the first/2 roaming around the forward line, and much of the 2nd/2 on and off the bench.

One of the highlights was the involvement of all 3 of TV, Stokes and Bundy for a great goal.

Today, having all 4 of TV, Stokes, Bundy and Byrnes seemed to work well

he just has that Stevie J freakish quality to impact a game with only a few touches. That's what he has always been and looks to be gearing up for Septemeber;) was only a matter of time after his interrupted pre-season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would love to see him playing better, but it was only Richmond. Let's not get carried away.

He played pretty well against Adelaide too...
and Hawks early on, and Blues, he is an impact player, but we,re not going to go through all this AGAIN??

At the game, and saw the replay, spent a lot of the first/2 roaming around the forward line, and much of the 2nd/2 on and off the bench.

One of the highlights was the involvement of all 3 of TV, Stokes and Bundy for a great goal.

Today, having all 4 of TV, Stokes, Bundy and Byrnes seemed to work well

Ok to group Varcoe, Stokes and Byrnes in together but Christensen is a different type. For the record I reckon that one of the 3 has to miss out (probably Byrnes on current form / injuries) and as far as Christiansen is concerned, at the moment he is in the best 22 on his merits about some of the more experienced folk.

Did notice Travie throwing up on the ground, at half time, after the team came back out, might explain why we faded in the second half.

Ok to group Varcoe, Stokes and Byrnes in together but Christensen is a different type. For the record I reckon that one of the 3 has to miss out (probably Byrnes on current form / injuries) and as far as Christiansen is concerned, at the moment he is in the best 22 on his merits about some of the more experienced folk.
Real dilemma here - with SJ and Menzel to come back in feel that there is room for 2 , at the most 3 from this group - probably only 2 if we play 2 KPF's and 2 Rucks.

The big, main, fundamental difference I saw yesterday wasn't the 3 goals, wasn't that the opposition was Richmond, it was effort. Pure and simple. He was chasing much harder, running much harder, and putting in second and third efforts. He keeps doing that, he won't get any criticism from me.

Real dilemma here - with SJ and Menzel to come back in feel that there is room for 2 , at the most 3 from this group - probably only 2 if we play 2 KPF's and 2 Rucks.

It'll be Varcoe Stokes and Christensen and Byrnes will run out of time I reckon unfortunately.

The big, main, fundamental difference I saw yesterday wasn't the 3 goals, wasn't that the opposition was Richmond, it was effort. Pure and simple. He was chasing much harder, running much harder, and putting in second and third efforts. He keeps doing that, he won't get any criticism from me.

Agreed!!
As long as he keeps chasing hard and tackling like he did then his 13 - 15 possies become all that more valuable.

It'll be Varcoe Stokes and Christensen and Byrnes will run out of time I reckon unfortunately.

I think you are right, but hopefully they keep giving Byrnes time as he may be invaluable as a backup should one of the above go down come finals time.

Touch wood that doesnt happen, but it would be nice to know we have it semi-covered!

Christensen would be the biggest loss IMO.

There is only two small fwd positions available IMO, occasionally 3, with the likes of Johnson and to a lesser degree Menzel automatic inclusions.
These guys are the medium sized fwds, totally necessary.

I still think Varcoe will be found wanting come the hard close games, 13 possessions is still a long way from a BOG performance.
Time will tell.

Please define this term 'impact player' VEEDUBS. Just so we're all on the same page.
in and under, steamroll anyone in the way, NO

zif you don't know, most of his possessions are likely to lead to scores, goal assists, goals, his possessions are not copious, but they HURT the opposition, AND, HE'S GREAT TO WATCH, when firing.

Will never be an Ablett type or a Judd/Selwood, but, at his best, more a Rioli

I just had to join in :D. I don't live on the BF board as some seem to do (and thanks for the entertainment and insights - I'm not knocking anyone) but is this the biggest thread ever?

I for one thought he should have been dropped several weeks back and now think he is running into top form at the right part of the season. Pity about Byrnes - hope he makes it back in time to be considered for finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back