Trouble in Demonland

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate this is a myth. There is this perception that the 'top end of Collins St' all follow the Dees and we just need to get them on board. It is not true. There are a lot of 60+ year olds out there who supported the Dees when they were kids/teenagers/young adults but they will never, ever sign up as to them it is a historical fact that they followed the club (my mum is one of them).

Problem relates to a long protracted period of no success, some apathy, no home and lack of leadership. It is not a case of rallying the troops, the whole culture has to change and it will take time.

Kudos to Morgoth.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. We all grew knowing Melbourne had all the 'big boys' supporting it. But to say that they should start injecting money into the club, after possibly never doing that is crazy.

And on an MCC issue, its now over $500 a season! to ask MCC members (me included) to fork out additional money for a membership is just too much. I do for essendon cos we play at the dome, not that i can attend from overseas, but i can afford it. Most cant and struggle to pay MCC subs. The Club isnt the answer anymore and until they realise that, they're doomed. Melb only have about 30% of MCC now anyway dont they? bombers have 20%.

I come from a die-hard demon family. And i'm talking old school demons. we even have an ex-president in the family from the old glory days. I really hope they turn it around. But they gotta get out of the 60's. I dont even think they can do a roos.

hope I'm wrong.

Kudos to Morgoth.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. We all grew knowing Melbourne had all the 'big boys' supporting it. But to say that they should start injecting money into the club, after possibly never doing that is crazy.

And on an MCC issue, its now over $500 a season! to ask MCC members (me included) to fork out additional money for a membership is just too much. I do for essendon cos we play at the dome, not that i can attend from overseas, but i can afford it. Most cant and struggle to pay MCC subs. The Club isnt the answer anymore and until they realise that, they're doomed. Melb only have about 30% of MCC now anyway dont they? bombers have 20%.

I come from a die-hard demon family. And i'm talking old school demons. we even have an ex-president in the family from the old glory days. I really hope they turn it around. But they gotta get out of the 60's. I dont even think they can do a roos.

hope I'm wrong.

Can i ask why you support Essendon?

My dad was a Laissez-faire bomber but i went along with him to the games.

I have always had a dees membership to match my MCC and bombers. Meant i could go along and sit in the red seats with the family.

good times. loved that section. whole ground empty, that part full.

Whats the overall problem in all of this - not enough members and supporters.

The club has done a terrible job in getting more members this year, but done properly like North we can get 30k.

How do we get more supporters?
The end aim has to be to get all the MCC and elitist rich people who never come to games to come and show some passion. I truly believe the best way of doing this is to get more supporters in general and make it popular to be a Melbourne supporter who goes to games.

How is any team expected to build support with the quality of football that the Melbourne team has dished up recently? Any club's fortunes are tied up in its on-field performance, and Melbourne just doesn't seem to be able to turn it around for any sustained period of time.

If push came to shove and we had no other options, I'd be OK with merging with North. I'd say if that happened, Bulldogs (with their low membership) will be the team that folds or relocates.

I'd rather merge and play all our home games in Melbourne, rather than re-locate or fold. The VFL option is a joke because the standard and atmosphere at a VFL game is a joke.

I hope the MFC board get their heads out of the sand. It's getting serious.

On a serious note, if things in Melbourne were grim for both North and the Demons then I wouldn't mind merging to secure both clubs, however, there would need to significant evidence that issues are not just short-term and can't be resolved.

I think keeping the heritage of both clubs in Melbourne is more paramount than the short-term whims of some fans, especially those that did nothing to help either club thrive.

I felt that way with Fitzroy and felt Melbourne lost a major piece of football heritage and is worse for it.

I am just not convinced that is the way of the future. Very few clubs actually are in the competition to make money so we don't have the same kind of fiscal forces that require a massive growth in profitability. I think clubs struggle that have had less than a stellar administration and to me that is an issue that can be resolved.

Well the $1M profit downgrade this year in addition to the $1.1M revenue shortfall already known for next year is a worry for a club battling for members, crowds and on the field.

North are in a similar boat but there at least appears to be a sense of urgency about them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trouble in Demonland

Remove this Banner Ad

Back