Banter TRTT Part 13: 2021 Goodbye (To 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with your assessment of Doc v Gleeso but their songs are so bloody good live, it’s still a good show.

It‘s a bit like the Bon v Brian dilemma.
Both are redundant, because it's not like they were replaced. They died. Just accept them and move on.

Now, David Lee Roth vs Sammy Hagar, that's a good one to get in to.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

To anyone who has built a house before: any tips to avoid large price increases after signing the build contract?

My partner and I have just got a pre-approval for an amount that we're happy with, and is a fair way below our borrowing capacity. Trying to keep repayments to a quarter of combined income, which is why we're borrowing less than we could. We're talking to various builders and agents with an eye to buying land and starting building early to mid next year.

We're already aware that builders can increase costs substantially if there are lengthy delays on the build start, so we're going to try get land that is close to having a certificate of title issue, or already has one.

Also aware to factor in things that builders don't necessarily cover like landscaping, fencing, driveways, and flooring outside wet areas.

To anyone who has built a house before: any tips to avoid large price increases after signing the build contract?

My partner and I have just got a pre-approval for an amount that we're happy with, and is a fair way below our borrowing capacity. Trying to keep repayments to a quarter of combined income, which is why we're borrowing less than we could. We're talking to various builders and agents with an eye to buying land and starting building early to mid next year.

We're already aware that builders can increase costs substantially if there are lengthy delays on the build start, so we're going to try get land that is close to having a certificate of title issue, or already has one.

Also aware to factor in things that builders don't necessarily cover like landscaping, fencing, driveways, and flooring outside wet areas.
Built twice but as far as $$ advice goes I can't offer much. Seems like you have that side mostly sorted

Only, and this is obvious, at the very least if you're cutting costs do it on stuff that's easier to retrofit. Ie put in ducted air con if it's a choice between that and say built in robes

Other thing I'd suggest is check up on them all the time. Even if you don't know what's going on, at least it keeps them on their toes lol

I built in 2003 so not much help...

I was young and didn't think about the extra costs what came along... Air con.. gardens.. driveway.. Needed to redo the retaining wall... Loved my house when it was all done... But did go into it blind and a bit nieve.

One thing you MUST do... Is christen the house before the doors and what not are on! 😉😉

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Built twice but as far as $$ advice goes I can't offer much. Seems like you have that side mostly sorted

Only, and this is obvious, at the very least if you're cutting costs do it on stuff that's easier to retrofit. Ie put in ducted air con if it's a choice between that and say built in robes

Other thing I'd suggest is check up on them all the time. Even if you don't know what's going on, at least it keeps them on their toes lol
Based on how much we're borrowing and where we're planning to build, shouldn't need to cut costs too much, but some areas may not have as much spent on them as others - e.g. my girlfriend wants a nice kitchen which is fine, but in return flooring might be something more budget friendly.

Last edited:
Yes. Don't build a house.

Probably worth getting a lawyer to look over the contract. It might cost a little but could potentially save you a lot.

I'm building at the moment and got a condition put in that waived that automatic right they have to charge you 15% more or whatever it is if they don't start on time. If they don't agree to do that then find a builder who will.

Probably worth getting a lawyer to look over the contract. It might cost a little but could potentially save you a lot.

I'm building at the moment and got a condition put in that waived that automatic right they have to charge you 15% more or whatever it is if they don't start on time. If they don't agree to do that then find a builder who will.
I have legal contacts and also a contact who has done a lot of his own development, so I will get them to have a look once I find the right land and builder.

I've not built anything but I'm very good mates with someone who is on the builder side of the equation. He is paid very handsomely to set up contracts to be in favour of the builder and plays hard ball at even the slightest of variations. He's shared stories of clients changing a single tap design and the cost of that one decision blowing out to thousands of dollars.

So my advice is to make sure you're not dealing with him ;) or at least get some legal advice on the contract you're signing.

I've not built anything but I'm very good mates with someone who is on the builder side of the equation. He is paid very handsomely to set up contracts to be in favour of the builder and plays hard ball at even the slightest of variations. He's shared stories of clients changing a single tap design and the cost of that one decision blowing out to thousands of dollars.

So my advice is to make sure you're not dealing with him ;) or at least get some legal advice on the contract you're signing.
Leaning towards Metricon or their cheaper offshoot Australian Building Co, with other options being Hickinbotham/SA Housing Centre/Statesman or Rivergum. Maybe Simonds. Hopefully he's not with them lol.

Leaning towards Metricon or their cheaper offshoot Australian Building Co, with other options being Hickinbotham/SA Housing Centre/Statesman or Rivergum. Maybe Simonds. Hopefully he's not with them lol.

Nup, you're clear.

Like all contracts, they are written by the seller to protect the sellers rights, so, yeah, always have your own legal advice. Also any variations get separately negotiated and include additional margin for the builder, so best to get everything you want specified up front, especially on things like quality of materials, fittings etc. Big project builders especially deliberately low ball their specs to quote an attractive initial upfront cost.

Make sure the builder has all necessary insurances (eg against going broke etc) and as a safety net make sure you have your own home insurance from when the build starts.

Make sure you have enough power points - you will need more than you think you do. 3 phase power, if available, gives you a lot of future flexibility.

Try and get onsite whenever possible, or at least when major steps are happening. There's a lot of corner-cutting in the industry and you want to make sure you get what you ordered and paid for. A friend of my mine is building now and has set up a webcam type thingy so they can monitor progress continually.

Understand the builder's payment terms and make sure your bank can meet them (they will possibly want to inspect progress before making payments). Make sure materials are available to meet construction deadlines (these may need to be ordered in advance these days because of longer lead times).

Spending extra on the kitchen is a good strategy and will make your home more desirable for both you and future buyers.

I hope your build goes well and you're both very happy in your new home. :thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back