TW believes Tambling is on the verge of superstardom within 12 months

Remove this Banner Ad

Those getting upset should only be upset if we pay him too much.

If we have got him for 3 years on low wages then we should be happy.

So it's all hypothetical unless $$ get reported in the media.

Exactly. Contract extensions exist for many reasons:

Money - save some dollars if Bling goes nuts in the next year or two, rather than have his manager start shopping him around after two good games and lifting his price unreasonably.

Confidence - help the kid believe that he belongs at this level, let him know the club has faith in him.

Retention - obviously keep him locked in, especially during a crucial time for a young interstater. Most players of his age and profile are looking to move home (or closer to home in Bling's case) after a couple of years, and are very open to a rebuilding Brisbane or ageing Adelaide with a fat cheque in hand.

Happiness - the player can just settle down and not worry about anything in the game except playing. "This is my club, these are my team mates, this is my home."

We all know that Bling will be at the club for at least two years anyway. If '07 goes pear shaped he will be given one more year at least to prove himself - why not add another year? If this year and next are both cr@p then his salary will be at a low enough level to keep him tradeable for '09.

Basically it gives you the absolute best chance to get the best out of a young player, with only a slight risk - and that's the name of the game nowadays - Risk Minimilisation.

(I know the name of the game is football, but you know what I mean)

i love how guys like tambling get a free ride because of where they came from and their draft pick but on the otherhand danny meyer gets shafted

it should of been 2 year deal - play well and then get an extension

3 years is a "safe" option ala krakouer who has just woken up this pre season after being asleep the last 2

you have to keep players on their toes

Cast your minds back to the day of the 2004 draft ...

Wallace nearly fell over himself in tears to draft Tambling pretty well ignoring Franklin , fast forward to now and compare the respective developments of the two players ...

Franklin > Tambling

You don`t reckon ol` plough is doing a little spin-doctoring and protecting "his" investment do you ? ;)

Three year contract at this stage is not a sound decision . Tigers need to earn thier stripes not just be handed them .

If Tambling stagnates this year then TW is going to look very silly , on the other hand if he does come on it he will be justified .... pretty big gamble IMHO and will be watching this one closely

i love how guys like tambling get a free ride because of where they came from and their draft pick but on the otherhand danny meyer gets shafted

it should of been 2 year deal - play well and then get an extension

3 years is a "safe" option ala krakouer who has just woken up this pre season after being asleep the last 2

you have to keep players on their toes

I wish we could contract BF posters so then we could agree to not extend yours :thumbsu:

lol at sante keep dreaming buddy

anyway good luck to tambling just hope he gets some midfield time this week and doesnt get stuck in the forward pocket and shoot blanks all game like his mate krakouer

If Tambling stagnates this year then TW is going to look very silly , on the other hand if he does come on it he will be justified .... pretty big gamble IMHO and will be watching this one closely

True statement right there. TW must be very confident in this kid's ability. He doesn't seem like the kind of person who would be happy to have egg on his face. Big gamble reputation-wise for Wallace.

He would know better than us, I'm just passing on the info and IMO it is fantastic to see such faith put in the youngster.

Chances are if TW is this confident to not only offer a 3 year contract, but to publicly state he is likely to reach superstsrdom within 12 months, then he must have some damn good indications to back up his opinion.

BTW it's not just talk - the long-term contract speaks for itself. If TW just came out and said he expects Bling to be a superstar this year then fair enough, but the contract means he is not just talking **** to please the fans. He honestly believes it.

its the kind of faith that can quickly gun a youngster down...and i dont think tambling needs that sort of pressure at the moment...he just needs to concentrate on playing good footy first then terry can start making these comments

'Wallace yesterday revealed detailed planning relating to Richmond's current and future playing list... ...A graphic accompanying his plans suggested the club prediction for this season was a ninth-placed finish.'

its the kind of faith that can quickly gun a youngster down...and i dont think tambling needs that sort of pressure at the moment...he just needs to concentrate on playing good footy first then terry can start making these comments

If anything this takes the pressure off Tambling so he can focus on his footy.

With some stability and confidence instilled in him he knows he has 3 years on his side.

He can focus on footy without worrying about anything else, it can't be a bad thing imo.

Was on Ch7 news earlier, they're signing him up for another 3 years!!! :D:D:D

Best of all to all you doubters out there it was nice to see that the coach of the team (who knows best, he knows much better than anyone else would know) seriously believes Tambling is on the verge of super star status and it should happen within 12 months!

TW wants Bling at the club real bad.

...for a damn good reason too :thumbsu: :cool:

good move sign him up now, quite possibly at half the rate it could be if he steps up:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i would rather him play good footy and pay him what he deserves then give him a long deal on mediocre money only to see mediocre performances

if we are paying anywhere close to 100% of the salary cap atm then its a joke

i would rather him play good footy and pay him what he deserves then give him a long deal on mediocre money only to see mediocre performances

if we are paying anywhere close to 100% of the salary cap atm then its a joke
I'm pretty sure we are paying the minimum 92% or something

'Wallace yesterday revealed detailed planning relating to Richmond's current and future playing list... ...A graphic accompanying his plans suggested the club prediction for this season was a ninth-placed finish.'
your club is happy with that?

Of course we arent happy with it, but we have to face facts and realise that our list is really poor (Thanks to Danny Frawley's recruiting efforts) and are a middle of the road side.

Is carlton happy with being a joke of a club at the moment?? :rolleyes:
I'm quite happy with the state of our list at the moment. The problem with the system now is the more time you spend down the bottom the more you spend at the top. I would say poor recruiting from Frawley and Wallace is to blame as you still have a very poor list. While the likes of Foley are considered good players there 2nd-Class. Tambling is a worry but if Wallace is labelling him as the next big thing then watch out. Also Deledio is an absolute freak. With Hall, Richardson and Gasper to walk i guess it'll give the likes of Shulz time to develop.

At the moment i'd say richmond need to spend 2 more years in the bottom and delist delist delist.

As supporters instead of spitting by a membership, help the club get back on top to win a premiership. If you want to win a premiership merge and relocate with the benefits of an increased salary cup or spend more time down the bottom.

The amount of time you spend at 9th is just as well spent as 16th without the #1 Draft pick.

I'm quite happy with the state of our list at the moment. The problem with the system now is the more time you spend down the bottom the more you spend at the top. I would say poor recruiting from Frawley and Wallace is to blame as you still have a very poor list. While the likes of Foley are considered good players there 2nd-Class. Tambling is a worry but if Wallace is labelling him as the next big thing then watch out. Also Deledio is an absolute freak. With Hall, Richardson and Gasper to walk i guess it'll give the likes of Shulz time to develop.

When i said our list was poor i meant now. Not on potential!! With Coughlan injured we have very little quality in the key bracket of players between 23-27. Pettifer, Tuck and Newman is it.

Carlton is not much better, tho you guys have Fevola an out and out star!

Wallace has recruited well and to a plan. What your problem is, and you are far from alone on this site, is you expect players to be good from day one and be peaking 3 years into the system. Not everyone is Judd, in fact very few draft pick actually do this and you cannot really evalute most draft picks until they have been in the system 5 years.

You say tambling is a worry, but what you fail to recognise was the fact he was extremely skinny when he first came to the tigers. It was always going to take 3 or 4 or even 5 preseason to put on the weight to play league football. You also forget the he was a NT boy where the youth setup is nowhere near as good as WA, SA or VIC he was probably slightly behind in his footy development compared to the likes of Deledio and Franklin. But no two season is enough to declare him a worry.

At the moment i'd say richmond need to spend 2 more years in the bottom and delist delist delist.

The amount of time you spend at 9th is just as well spent as 16th without the #1 Draft pick.

Since when does tanking earn you a premiership?? Saint Kilda had how many top 5 picks?? They are for the most part exceptional players, in fact i would go as far to say the saint kilda's top 6 are the most talented top 6 in the league but their remaining 16 on game day leave something to be desired. Its about creating depth around these great players not just relying on them alone. WC on the other hand also have an extremely talented top 6 but their depth is amazing. And how many top 5 picks did west coast have in their premiership side?? Two. Chris Judd and Drew Banfield.

As supporters instead of spitting by a membership, help the club get back on top to win a premiership.

The only real valid point you made

I'll refrain from talking about the merits of the draft choice, as that is in the past. I do think Tambling will be a very good player. I've seen a fair bit of him play. He has very good footskills, and good leg speed. I'm still unclear as to what role he's best suited to though. He seems more of an opportunistic small forward to me, rather than a midfielder. I haven't seen any evidence of him being effective in hotly contested midfield situations. To me he seems more damaging as a link player, receiving a clearance from defence, and using his footspeed, and excellent footskills to effect quality delivery into the Tiges forward 50. My major concern with Tambling, is his lack of physical presence. Even small players like Murph, and Cousins, have acquired the necessary strength and attitude. It's not just about the time spent in the gym, but also demeanor. attack on the footy and willingness to apply defensive pressure. Tambling really needs to improve in these areas if he is to take the next step. :)

When i said our list was poor i meant now. Not on potential!! With Coughlan injured we have very little quality in the key bracket of players between 23-27. Pettifer, Tuck and Newman is it.

Carlton is not much better, tho you guys have Fevola an out and out star!
Ackland, Bannister, Carazzo, Fevola, Houlihan, Kouta, Lappin, McLaren, Sentanta, Saddington, Scotland, Stevens, Teague, Thorton, Waite, Whitnal, Wiggins, Young. The majority of those are 23 or 24. Which is a major up considering the young stars that will be at there prime in 2 or 3. Bolded ones are the ones you'd think are good players. The rest I'd expect to be delisted in the next few bar Ackland.

Wallace has recruited well and to a plan. What your problem is, and you are far from alone on this site, is you expect players to be good from day one and be peaking 3 years into the system. Not everyone is Judd, in fact very few draft pick actually do this and you cannot really evalute most draft picks until they have been in the system 5 years.
I wasn't saying everyone's going to be a judd. These days you'd expect a top 5 pick to make some sort of imediate impact on the game. Except Ruckmen.

You say tambling is a worry, but what you fail to recognise was the fact he was extremely skinny when he first came to the tigers. It was always going to take 3 or 4 or even 5 preseason to put on the weight to play league football. You also forget the he was a NT boy where the youth setup is nowhere near as good as WA, SA or VIC he was probably slightly behind in his footy development compared to the likes of Deledio and Franklin. But no two season is enough to declare him a worry.
From what I've heard a mjor setback for Tambling was the Hammy which considerably lowered his footspeed and footskills. After pettifer(who is now deciding the play) & fiora you'd hate to have another top 10 disaster. Not that carltons any better after livo with 'some' doubt on Russel & Hartlet.

Since when does tanking earn you a premiership?? Saint Kilda had how many top 5 picks?? They are for the most part exceptional players, in fact i would go as far to say the saint kilda's top 6 are the most talented top 6 in the league but their remaining 16 on game day leave something to be desired. Its about creating depth around these great players not just relying on them alone. WC on the other hand also have an extremely talented top 6 but their depth is amazing. And how many top 5 picks did west coast have in their premiership side?? Two. Chris Judd and Drew Banfield.
Times have changed, bigger salary cap and excellent recruiting. I still think sides to be in premiership contention between 2009 onwards would have needed to spend time at the bottom. Sides like Carlton and Hawthorn will win premierships. System is absolutely shhhhithouse.

Ackland, Bannister, Carazzo, Fevola, Houlihan, Kouta, Lappin, McLaren, Sentanta, Saddington, Scotland, Stevens, Teague, Thorton, Waite, Whitnal, Wiggins, Young. The majority of those are 23 or 24. Which is a major up considering the young stars that will be at there prime in 2 or 3. Bolded ones are the ones you'd think are good players. The rest I'd expect to be delisted in the next few bar Ackland.

Of the 17 you listed 10 turn 26 or older this year. That would be a majority. The other 7 include McLaren, who will be gone soon, Bannister who has a fair way to go to become a regular footballer, and O'Hailpen who is all hype and no results as yet (could be excellent, could be nothing).

That leaves Waite (star), Carazzo (handy to very good), Thornton (solid) and Wiggins (speculation).

Personally I'd prefer Pettifer, Tuck and Newman, with Coughlan to come back. Of course Polak and Hyde can be added to this age group and don't hurt our cause.

And then the Blues have got Murphy (sensational), Gibbs (have to rate him on reputation), Kennedy (handy to excellent) and not necessarily a whole lot more - though I'm sure the rest of your kids look better to you than they do to me.

Line them up with Deledio, Tambling, Meyer, Pattison, Polo, Raines, Foley, Schultz and some more speculative types like JON, Hughes, Riewoldt, Connors, Edwards, Thursfield - I'm trying to be unbiased (impossible) but I don't see where your list stands above ours.

Of the 17 you listed 10 turn 26 or older this year.
That would be a majority. The other 7 include McLaren, who will be gone soon, Bannister who has a fair way to go to become a regular footballer, and O'Hailpen who is all hype and no results as yet (could be excellent, could be nothing).
Ohalpin has so far kept hall, brown, thompson and lloyd extremely silent as well as creating his own run. Those are arguble 4 forwards who i'd say are the elite.

That leaves Waite (star), Carazzo (handy to very good), Thornton (solid) and Wiggins (speculation).
Carazzo started to perform last year and looks the goods as far as his future goes. Sped and bulked up over the summer. Wiggins looks to be an excellent HFF, sublime skills but will need to gain confidence (which will come with more gametime).
Personally I'd prefer Pettifer, Tuck and Newman, with Coughlan to come back. Of course Polak and Hyde can be added to this age group and don't hurt our cause.
Coughlan to me 3 or 4 years ago looked set to set the world on fire but after 2 recos will return to mediocrity IMO. The injury has taken away the prime of his career which is unfortunate. Didn't Newman break his leg. Lets see if he comes back well. Polak and Pettifer i rate while tuck and hyde have yet to impress me in the games i've watched. While tuck does rack em up really uneffective. Similar to the disposal of Walker but he seems to be getting better as he recovers from surgery.

And then the Blues have got Murphy (sensational), Gibbs (have to rate him on reputation), Kennedy (handy to excellent) and not necessarily a whole lot more - though I'm sure the rest of your kids look better to you than they do to me.

Walker,Murphy, Kennedy, Gibbs, Russel, Hartlet, Simpson, Bentick, Waite, Sentanta, Thorton, Carazzo, Hampson and Wiggins to name a few.
on to
Deledio, Polo, Tuck, Hyde, Polak, Pettifer, Newman(leg break), Coughlan(injured), Shultz, Raines, Foley, Meyer, Pattison, Thursfield, Tambling.

Out of that group the only ones i see becoming anything are: Deledio, Tambling, Polak, Pettifer, Shulz, Raines, and Foley. With doubts on polak and foley. While the Carlton group Russel and Hartlet are the only ones who really bother me.

Line them up with Deledio, Tambling, Meyer, Pattison, Polo, Raines, Foley, Schultz and some more speculative types like JON, Hughes, Riewoldt, Connors, Edwards, Thursfield - I'm trying to be unbiased (impossible) but I don't see where your list stands above ours.

I sincerley and unbiastley (doubt thats a word butt) beleive Carltons list is a 5/10(with room for improvement with the young talent) while richmond 2/10 could only move up to a 4 without some greeat recruiting.

Remove this Banner Ad

TW believes Tambling is on the verge of superstardom within 12 months

Remove this Banner Ad

Back