Twilight training 16/2

Remove this Banner Ad

curiousLplater

Cancelled
North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
May 17, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Anybody got anything to report?

I went along. I've just moved back to North Melbourne from overseas, so it was pretty amazing to see the new facility (if only from the outside). Not a huge turnout of supporters, but decent enough.

I wasn't watching that closely, since I was catching up with a friend at the same time. I was also at the swimming pool end, which in the drills seemed to be where most of the second choice / younger players were. So didn't get the chance for a close look at Hunter, White, Hansen, Petrie, Milky (although McMahon, Firrito, Pratt, CJ, Azza were all in front of me).

They did some standard skills type drills. Then some full ground movement drills with no real pressure. Then some drills starting at clearances and moving the ball to the forward lines, at times with pretty intense pressure and physical contact. They seemed to be either practising for playing a loose man in defence or preparing for the opposition doing so.

It was fairly blustery, but even taking that into account the skill level was pretty underwhelming to say the least. I have to say I didn't feel that optimistic about Sunday on the evidence of this training session, although as I said, the guys in front of me did seem to be mostly younger players who I didn't really know. Exceptions to the generally poor skill level were Wells and Ziebell, unsurprisingly. Good to see Wellsy doing pretty much full training. Cunnington also did quite a bit of work with the main group.

I went along. I've just moved back to North Melbourne from overseas, so it was pretty amazing to see the new facility (if only from the outside). Not a huge turnout of supporters, but decent enough.

I wasn't watching that closely, since I was catching up with a friend at the same time. I was also at the swimming pool end, which in the drills seemed to be where most of the second choice / younger players were. So didn't get the chance for a close look at Hunter, White, Hansen, Petrie, Milky (although McMahon, Firrito, Pratt, CJ, Azza were all in front of me).

They did some standard skills type drills. Then some full ground movement drills with no real pressure. Then some drills starting at clearances and moving the ball to the forward lines, at times with pretty intense pressure and physical contact. They seemed to be either practising for playing a loose man in defence or preparing for the opposition doing so.

It was fairly blustery, but even taking that into account the skill level was pretty underwhelming to say the least. I have to say I didn't feel that optimistic about Sunday on the evidence of this training session, although as I said, the guys in front of me did seem to be mostly younger players who I didn't really know. Exceptions to the generally poor skill level were Wells and Ziebell, unsurprisingly. Good to see Wellsy doing pretty much full training. Cunnington also did quite a bit of work with the main group.

Yeah after watching the practice matches we have not looked that sharp and comming up against Geelong I hope we can put it all together. I thought we looked better last year in preparation so just hope we dont get blown out of the water.
It's hard to find a real top liner so far this preseason they are all just players for mine at the moment. I hope I am wrong .I know it's hard to get a real idea at intra clubs but the only guiding light for me is tarrant

Thanks GFN. Unfortunately it seems Urmoe was feeling too well to attend. :(
Funny you should mention that. We were all set to go and its a long story but in summary I was not able to attend because I wasnt at work.

Unexplained happenings are common in "Twilight"! Especially when the so called "Twilight Training Session" is held in broad daylight!

Apparently resident angst-y emo hunk Robbie Tarrant's skin was sparkling like diamonds. I assume that's what is meant when a poster says he was the only shining light.

Cmon guys, wasn't this our last open session before the weekends game? Surely we have another report from someone?? These darn twilight sessions just don't take into account the importance of Urmoe having to be at work to do a report, just plain careless by the club. I hope Heath reads this :p

Seriously Heath, not sure who or why the decision was made to start training at 3.30pm but if the intention was to draw a crowd then it was a bad decision.

Those with kids are probably picking up their kids from school around that time and have no hope in getting over to North melbourne during school time peak hour traffic.

Those without having to worry about kids are probably at work til 5-5.30pm anyway.

So unless we were targetting the retired and unemployed, Im really not sure how a 3.30pm timeslot is any different to a 11am timeslot.

Anyway, fix it up for us will you please?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Twilight training 16/2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back