macca69

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 8, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
It's due to start in a few days and was wondering who the standout players from each side will be, which sides are the favourites to take the comp out and which players will 'surprise' during the carnival.

Jordan Gysberts (Vic Metro) will be the stand out performer for mine...have seen him play a couple of times this year and have been very very impressed. is about 188cm and can play both tall and small, great overhead mark, reasonably quick for his height and just has that natural ball winning ability.
i believe he was named co-captain of Vic Metro along with scully and cachia?!?

Jack Watts from Vic Metro is the one to watch. Pretty sure he will play after recovering from a broken collarbone. He didn't play in the U/15 carnival, although he dominated in the trial game earlier this and was easily best a field. Cachia, Scully, Ziebell (V.Country) are also names to look out for.

Jack Watts from Vic Metro is the one to watch. Pretty sure he will play after recovering from a broken collarbone. He didn't play in the U/15 carnival, although he dominated in the trial game earlier this and was easily best a field. Cachia, Scully, Ziebell (V.Country) are also names to look out for.
ziebells a freak.

watts out wallace in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheers Kirky. Who IYO, are the better NSW boys?
There are a few will stand out.
Dylan McNeil onballer/centre will get a lot of the footy. Uses it well. AA last year.
Dont want to sound bias but Jeremy Kirkwood has all the attributes, height, speed, reasonable skill, has played 7 games of senior footy in the ACTAFL this year. AA last year.
Bryant Crowley, KPP forward who is a big boy and can move well, presents well.
Josh Duncan looks very smooth, great skills on both sides and reads the play well. (Has a scholarship with Saints).
Ryan Bottin-Noonan has a great motor and can play any and everywhere. (Scholarship with Swans).
Micheal Johnston is always hard at it and is improving(Scholarship with Hawks)
Teddy Studwick can be a dangerous forward (Scholarship with Demons).
There will be others but I have seen a little of these guys in Darwin last year and trials and practice matches this year.
Will be an interesting carnival, cant wait to get up there.

With the championships in "Brisvegas" this week the locals have been given a "Footy Feast" . Game 1- Vic Metro beat WA by 2 pts. And I heard a few people on the mobile or chatting to each other describing it as "The best junior football match they had ever seen" I got there very late in the game but was told turnovers at one end of the ground resulted in a goal at the other end of the field. Scores were something like 14 goals apiece. (Not bad for 20+ minutes of footy per quarter). Apparently it was played at a lightning quick pace.
Game 2- SA vs Vic Country saw SA look the better in the first half of the 1st qtr, Vic Country appeared on top for the next 20 minutes. From there SA looked the better team. Bad kicking for goal proved costly for SA. Scores tied at 3/4 time. Country kicked the vital first goal of the last term, SA kicked 4 in a row to lead by 3 goals at the 17 minute mark of the quarter and appeared to have it in the bag. Vic country took control and kicked 5 in a row for a 10 point win. 15-11 to 12-19

Vic Country Best players? I have no idea. I was watching the match scorewise more than watching the players. Hooper was the stand out. Ziebell was concussed in a tackle in the 1st quarter but returned after half-time for a very servicable game. Steele sidebottom looked good. SA? Lewis Johnston was good as was Daniel Sukkel in the back line. Pity SA couldn't convert their chances. In retrospect Vic Country defence scrambled very well. Country's forwards were beaten badly for 3/4's off the match. In the last quarter it turned around Country took 5-6 contested marks in the forward 50. I noted when Country were looking down the barrel (3 goals down)in the last term, they threw Hooper onto the half-backline and Ziebell on the ball. It worked a treat.

Vic Metro 14.11 (95) defeated Western Australia 14.9 (93)

Goals:
Vic Metro: Shiels 3, Griffiths 2, Blease 2, Fitzpatrick 2, Millard, Barnes, Hill, Melksham, Smith-Whiting.
WA: King 4, Walters 3, Pascoe 2, Morabito 2, Neates, Hutchings, Marsh.

Best:
Vic Metro: Scully, Rayner, Griffiths, Shiels, Cachia, Talia.
WA: King, Sheppard, Neates, Colyer, Hancock, Lucas.

Vic Country 15.11 (101) defeated South Australia 12.19 (91)

Goals:
Vic Country: Cunnington 3, Peters 3, Sidebottom 2, Thompson 2, Hooper 2, Stevens, Priest, Tiller.
SA: Johnston 4, Lane 3, Armstrong 2, Armfield, Goldsworthy, Davis-Neale.

Best:
Vic Country: Hooper, Peters, Cunnington, Bartlett, Sidebottom, Curran.
SA: Thompson, Long, Gregory, Hannath, Carey, Johnston.

One to keep an eye on is Tom Claridge from Tassie. Had 38 touches in a losing team to QLD. He is about 6ft 2 and runs like the wind as an on baller. This was also a terrific effort seeings he has been out with OP for several months. Don't tell me I did not tell you about this one!!!

Vic Metro 14.11 (95) defeated Western Australia 14.9 (93)

Goals:
Vic Metro: Shiels 3, Griffiths 2, Blease 2, Fitzpatrick 2, Millard, Barnes, Hill, Melksham, Smith-Whiting.
WA: King 4, Walters 3, Pascoe 2, Morabito 2, Neates, Hutchings, Marsh.

Best:
Vic Metro: Scully, Rayner, Griffiths, Shiels, Cachia, Talia.
WA: King, Sheppard, Neates, Colyer, Hancock, Lucas.

Vic Country 15.11 (101) defeated South Australia 12.19 (91)

Goals:
Vic Country: Cunnington 3, Peters 3, Sidebottom 2, Thompson 2, Hooper 2, Stevens, Priest, Tiller.
SA: Johnston 4, Lane 3, Armstrong 2, Armfield, Goldsworthy, Davis-Neale.

Best:
Vic Country: Hooper, Peters, Cunnington, Bartlett, Sidebottom, Curran.
SA: Thompson, Long, Gregory, Hannath, Carey, Johnston.

Where'd ya get this from?

Remove this Banner Ad

U/16 Carnival

Remove this Banner Ad

Back